need help with hydroton problems!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jang707, Jan 8, 2012.

1. I recently transplanted my clones into my ebb n gro system with hydroton... I washed each 2 gallon bucket of hydroton for about 5 minutes each and made sure the water was clear and no sediment was coming off the hydroton and then I soaked it in phed water for a minute before putting it in the system... when I put the nutrients in the system it measured around 350 ppms and I measured it a day later and it jumped to 850 ppm... and the Ph jumped from 5.7 to 6.2 probably from the hydroton as well... will this eventually stop after a few rez changes and cleanings or what can I do to stop these issues?

2. Hi..

You should be fine. You might want to consider doing a drain/refill in a couple of days, if the PPM/Ph keep rising.

I learned (the hard way) to really flush the hydroton (like you did) and then soak it in low (4.0) Ph water for 24 hours.

Good Luck!

3. Ah I soaked it in 5.6 phed water, might have something to do with the Ph swings... I did a red change and bumped my my ppms to about 440the, and today they were around 560 and the Ph was around 6.2, so it does seem to be getting better

4. I'm laughing so hard right now I don't know what to do.

You only need to wash off hydroton before use.
    No need to soak hydroton, before use.
    If you're having ph swings then it's either nute related or environmental.

5. [quote name='"Stoneth"']I'm laughing so hard right now I don't know what to do.

If you're having ph swings then it's either nute related or environmental.[/quote]

Not sure if that's supposed to be condescending but I brewed up an ewc tea to try and combat the environmental swings... thanks for the advice anyways

6. how about perlite and vermiculite? 50/50 youll have no prob.

7. [quote name='"chicoco"']how about perlite and vermiculite? 50/50 youll have no prob.[/quote]

I am running a hydro ebb n gro system, so that won't work...

8. I'm using hydroton in a waterfarm drip, had similar issue where pH kept spiking every few hours after transplant (from soil). Did, 4 rez changes and flushed the hydroton (with the plant in it) 4 times. A week later and she's in heaven. kept my ppms down around 300-400 for the first week after transplant. But did not show signs of leaf damage like yours.

Possibly a water circulation problem, try checking pH in each bucket to see if you can identify a trend, i/e high pH the further from res or vice versa. This might explain why some are doing better than others. Just my 2 cents! Good luck.

9. [quote name='"Stoneth"']I'm laughing so hard right now I don't know what to do.

If you're having ph swings then it's either nute related or environmental.[/quote]

Dude, I was totally giggling too...oh good times.

It can be from poor/incomplete rinsing of the hydroton. But soaking it only cleans it.

10. [quote name='"chicoco"']how about perlite and vermiculite? 50/50 youll have no prob.[/quote]

Hi. Welcome to the Hydro section of GH. ;)

11. [quote name='"jang707"']

Not sure if that's supposed to be condescending but I brewed up an ewc tea to try and combat the environmental swings... thanks for the advice anyways[/quote]

Nah. I don't think condescending but you have to realize that we are high on here....a lot. It was funny.

The tea, AWESOME move. I swear by it. My journal proves that it is indeed worth the effort to make it. Chill.