Need help with diagnosis...

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Poindexterous, Nov 23, 2010.

1. So there's one phase of growth that repeatedly gives me trouble, which is early veg...

After I transplant my healthiest clones, be they ez-clone, oasis, or rapid-rooter, some of them take off with vigor, and some just struggle along, growing, yet slowly, and with droopy slightly yellow leaves. These sad individuals are still growing as they are certainly bigger then they were, yet look pretty stunted compared to their adjacent sisters who look perfect and are triple their size and growing much faster. I take twice as many clones as I need so I'm only transplanting the healthiest ones. It's only after transplant that my best clones take this downward turn.

After a couple weeks these strugglers will sometimes recover and even catch up and go on to be as productive as the others, but it wastes a lot of time and I have to cut back the bigger plants to wait for these sad specimens to catch up.

Sometimes as few as 10% have this problem but more often 25% to 50% will be afflicted.

I do top feed into perlite, GH Flora series in RO water adjusted to pH6.0, 400MH on a track for early veg, till later when they spread out under 1000HPS's.

All other phases of growth I've gotten down reasonable well through trial and error, but this issue keeps me stumped ? There seems to be a blind spot in my brain to this issue. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. that has happened a couple times with us. we always put it on water logged and so the sufocates them a few days and then it seems to take a few weeks to normalize. not sure what size pots you goto but what we started was going from what ever clone medium to like 2.5x2.5 inch pots till roots pop out the bottem and then goto what ever the bloom size is.

also whats your gor medium? would only happen in coco for us.

3. #3 Poindexterous, Nov 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
    I use 100% perlite as my medium, I've had the best overall results with it and it drains pretty well, but perhaps my top feed frequency is too often and they are too wet ?

Only other thing I can think of besides a watering issue is a light issue. Clones are under T8's, and after transplant I put them under a 400MH on a track, I wouldn't have thought a moving 400MH at 2ft over them would be much more than T8's at 6 inches, but maybe ? I'll check that with a light meter...

4. yea the light i dont think would be the issue. ive taken clones 3 day rooted tossed under a 1000 at 2 ft and they where fine. seems it would be some where else.