Need help with curling leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by BigBoyMattyG, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I'm concerned about my plant. I've got one girl about 10 weeks old, just switched to 12/12 about 3 days ago. The problem is that 2 or 3 of the large fan leaves are "twisting" at an angle about 45 to 90 degrees. Is this a big problem?? I know they can't be providing very much photosynthesis the way they are twisting. Has anyone had this happen??

The plant is very healthy and has new growth developing daily. I treat her every 3 to 4 days with a weak solution of 20-18-18 nuts and in between that with fresh bottled water. It under a total of 220 watts of both MH and HPS in a small closet. I've got 2 fans running (not directly on the plant) and I open the room up frequently throughout the day to allow fresh air. What could be causing this? I don't think I've been watering too much, about 1 bottle of water every 2 days, plus the same amount when I nut.

PLEASE HELP!

2. have you checked your ph level ....a change in ph level will make the leaves twist

3. Yes, the ph was 7.0 about a week ago. Is this something serious if they are twisting or will they eventually recover? Is it a sign of stress?

4. Post up some pics.

5. I'm trying to upload pics for you, but it wants a URL for the pics to upload them. I have them on my computer, how do I upload pics?

6. Ok, I've attached some pics... Please let me know what you guys think

Attached Files:

7. for soil the ph should be between 6.2-5.8 and is it the hole leaf or just the tips i can not tell in the pics

8. #8 BigBoyMattyG, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, its the whole leaf. The leaf itself looks healthy, but the stem from the main body of the leaf to the stalk is whats twisting. In fact I can even take my index finger and my thumb and gently twist them back to the correct position but they slowly move back. This really concerns me because the plant is just starting to develop pistils.

The ph should really be that low?? I thought they liked a more neutral soil. If you look at the new growth on the top of the plant and the little shoots that are growing from the stalk you'll see those leaves are pointing directly towards my lights, but the larger fan leaves down lower are the ones I'm concerned about. They don't appear to be reaching toward the light. As you can see in the picture, they are twisting to the side so they aren't pointing upward. The leaf color and shape appear to be healthy. Have you ever seen this before?

9. Its the aluminum foil on the walls refracting the light i bet. jorge cerventes describes this problem with aluminum foil and mylar. i use a new plastic wall cover that is gloss white. i dont have that problem at all. good luck!

10. bet its got something to do with an uneven distribution of light, if its not a nutritional problem or overwatered something like that or a genetic thing.

11. Yeah, I never thought of that. The walls behind the aluminum foil are white so they should still help, right? I'll try taking down the foil and see if anything changes.

Anyone have any other ideas?

12. i would check your local hydro shop. mine provides a 2mm plastic sheet thats white on one side and black on the other. the black on the opposite side is to prevent light penetration. Gloss white it was jorge cervantes most highly recommends because it reflects light very well and doesn't tend to make the plant grow awkwardly. ill post a pic soon of my set-up so you can see

13. i just slap a coat of flat white paint onit and get to work...mine are doing fine.

14. kinda hard to paint when the plants are already growing..... use the 2mm plastic. u cant go wrong. its very cheap

15. get more light on that thing man...the nodes are like 6 inches apart!

16. Thanks, but I've done this before and was more than pleased with the results. 220 watts is more than enough for one plant, especially considering the lights have spent most of the plant's life less than 12" from the light. And anymore lights and I'd have an uncontrollable heat problem Plus I'm using MH and HPS and with metal halide I've always had nodes that were far apart, even with my 400watt because the really want to reach for the blue light.

17. Those plants look dinky for 10 weeks. You could have plants triple that size or even bigger with proper lighting and ventilation. I dont see how you are more then pleased with those results...

18. #18 BigBoyMattyG, Jun 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010

dude, your a dumbass... Read the post and you might be on the same page as the rest of us. It's 34 inches high, I DON'T THINK THAT'S "DINKY" AS YOU PUT IT CONSIDERING ITS still in vegging. Its getting 220 watts of both MH and HPS. You don't need more than 150-200 watts a plant or your just wasting power and equipment, especially considering the size operation I have. If its 34" tall and your saying I could have plants 3 times bigger that would mean my plant would be almost 120" or 10 feet even before budding. JEEZ, SOUNDS LIKE YOUR FIGURES ARE A LITTLE OFF HUH?? Thanks but I'll pass on your advice, I've learned that you've got to "sift through the weeds" with some of the info people give here and yours is useless.

19. he's saying that your plant is really skinny. I have a few growing that are 4weeks from seeds and they look a lot healthier than yours. They arent as tall, but they have a lot more growth in them. If I grew them for 10 weeks it would be the difference between Manute Bol and Shaq.

20. Yeah, the first 3 weeks the plant was only under 2 low wattage CFL's because I couldn't afford a decent light. Then in week 4 I added a 150 watt HPS and 2 weeks later I added a 70 watt MH and now she's been growing happily. I do agree with you on the skinny part. I haven't trimmed any leaves and I don't really want to top it, so how can I get it to fill in? Or what is causing it to grow like that? Could it be the early lack of light?

It's showing pistils all over the place, on all the shoots coming from the stalk and at the top of the main stalk on all the new growth so I thought it was just making room for buds... What should I do?