Need help with cooling.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Disciple, Oct 20, 2012.

1. So I just set up my new CFL grow, but it's getting pretty hot in there. I have a bunch of PC fans I can use and a power supply for them, I'm just not sure how I should integrate them into the grow box.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the huge pic, any help is appreciated!

EDIT, the cabinet is a BITCH to cut through, so looking for alternatives.

2. Either you figure how to cut thru or leave the door open during the ON cycle. Either way you need to exhaust the hot air.

3. Thanks bro, looks like I'm definitely going to have to cut into it.

4. Cut near the top. You'll move the most hot air out that way. Adding an intake fan near the bottom wouldn't be a terrible idea either.
    Get your lights closer. They should be 1-2 inches from the top of the plants. Not 5-6 inches.

5. Yeah I know but because I have no cooling system in place yet I didn't want them to get too hot.

6. [​IMG]

Install the ventilation I mean.

7. A. you are wasting a LOT of light. line the walls with reflective material (alum foil sucks) but the BRIGHTEST white HIGH GLOSS will help a LOT

B. keep in mind you will soon have some SMELL and carbon filtration may become an issue. PC fans are great but they lack the static pull that an inline will provide

C. good sh*t planting 8 to start so you can allow for culling of dudes and hermies :)

good luck!!!!

8. Thanks for the input and encouragement guys, this forum is way better than where I've been before for advice and support!

@Ace420 For the time being, I've rigged up a big reflector above the lights to hopefully keep most of the light in the bottom portion of the cabinet. Also, I wont be too worried about smell, but I will eventually integrate a system to neutralize that.

I've installed a couple fans to exhaust hot air from the lights, tell me what you guys think, and again SORRY for the huge pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of them are looking good except the one that didn't sprout :( lol.

I was thinking of adding a little more soil in each pot/cup, do you guys think that would be beneficial?

9. still gotta line those walls or paint them BRIGHT HIGH GLOSS white! :)your seedlings are much longer than others ive seen meaning theyre begging for light. you should also lower your lights. Sorry to sound negative. just trying to help your yield :)

10. Thank you bro! I was just going to make a thread about the height of my seedlings, do you think it's a good idea to put some more soil in their containers? When I planted them I didn't fill them up all the way for some reason.

Would that help any?

Also going to line the inside of the cabinet, I was trying to avoid using tin foil because of the heat, but I'm going to have to because I don't want to deprive my baby girls of anymore light.

11. What the blade above you said is right on spot.

12. adding soil sounds like a great idea :) what you should do though is NOT add it to the top but rather the BOTTOM. you can do this buy letting the soil dry out and tipping the plants upside down, then filling the bottome with soil, then putting the dirt/plant mix back on top. This typically works with moderately packed soil. adding soil on top is a waste because the roots dont grow UP into the new soil but adding to the bottome will allow extra room for roots:D

also, avoid tinfoil. get some super high gloss whit from any home improvement store and a cheap roller and brush for the corners. paint the corners with the brush first(2 coats are best) and then roller the rest AFTER the corners dry. Youll have a super bright reflective surface with no hot spots, plus it will be super washable. youll love it :) paints cheap but the effects are bountifull :)

13. oh yeah forgot to mention, you need some drainage. The solo cups encourage root rot and dont let the roots breath when the soil is wet. try putting holes in the bottom and find/make drip plates/pans. foil tins from a foodstore are super cheap

14. Strangely enough, though you'd think otherwise from looking at them, flat white paint is better to use...it actually reflects the light better and more evenly...;)

OP...you may also want to look at those fans...see the light coming out? That means that light can also get into your box during the dark period...light leaks are one of the leading causes of hermies in flowering...

15. Thanks for the help bro!

I have already cut many holes in the bottom of the cup's, and the planter pots as you know already have them.

That is a brilliant idea about adding soil to the bottom! However, I will be transplanting them fairly soon, but what I meant by adding soil to the top, was to improve the strength of the stems because the soil would be higher so the stem wouldn't have as much weight on it. Not sure if I explained that correctly, but I was just aiming to improve the strength of the stems for a few days max. until I transplant.

Also, how long would I have to remove the plants from the grow room during/after painting it. I would think the paint vapors would have some kind of negative impact on the babies.

Thanks for everything!

16. I'm on top of that! I'm not a legendary chronic grower, but I know they need darkness while they sleep at least lol! When they are sleeping I cover the fan's intake hole with a black rubber pad (almost like a mousepad) to ensure no light penetrates whatsoever.

17. Good...I know I was pointing out the obvious, but being redundant is better than hermies...:cool:

Good luck my fellow Canadian blade...looks like you're getting good help in here...:wave:

18. Thanks, I appreciate your concern! Good to see Canadians around here!

19. Latex paint is water based and would have no effect on the plants :)

20. this is actually a myth :) Gloss is best. Ive used a light meter with flat, smei gloss and, gloss. while the difference wasnt MAJOR the highly reflective gloss won :)

also, what this about light leaking causing hermies? do you have anything to prove this? I said this KINDLY of course, not trolling :)