need help with cfl lighting and electrical work ???

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jocasmoka, May 1, 2016.

1. If your house is so old your worried about the wiring then I doubt it's going to safe to live there never mind grow there. But I don't know electric outside the UK , you don't have ground wires to my knowledge so :/
    Iv never had a bulb pop on me , a friend of mine popped one through accidently using a 400w bulb with a 600 ballast .
    Get whatever suits you best you'll want measurement of your from room and of the lamps to see what will fit best .
    Iv done a 600w grow in a 2.5' wide x 2' deep x 8' tall cupboard and the yields were amazing because of the intensity of the light in the room . Like i said more is more when it comes to light and cannabis. If you get a 400w your room will glowing . A four inch fan running the heat out and see how it runs temperature wise

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

2. #82 jocasmoka, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Bro my house is from the 60s and i dont think i have ground because here the plugs or how should i say have two pins to connect to the wall if that what are you talking about...it has 240 volts ... Im only worried about power surges or something like that not damaging the hps.... Or ballast ? Or maybe im just drawing too much power...? Any input ? And some info on what kind of hps to get cause they dont have grow light just regular...flood/street lights etc... Im thiking of going with 250 watt since my cabinet is kinda small... And maybe add additional cfl if needed im also woried about tempertures since i wont get a hps with cool tube or such.... Will regular vent fan for outake and pc fan for intake cut it?
    Btw temperatures get very hot here in summer and i dont have ac..
    Sent from my A50LT using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. We have 3 pins and 240v .
    Like I said go with what's best for you , and without knowing the size of your room I can't tell you what number to look for on the fan boxes

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

4. #84 jocasmoka, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Bro its small like 15 to 20 square meters approximately ant the cabinet is like 1.30metres wide and 2 metres tall any suggestions about the hps ? What kind? I dont wanna buy a setup that wont work for me

5. Well if your width and depth are the same you want a 600w light to effectively light your area ,
    Without measurements I have nothing to work off will definitely need measurement to calculate the volume of air your fan needs to pull

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

6. hey i dont have a measuring tape but aproximetely 1.30-40 meters wide 2 meters tall and 80 cm to 1 meter deep... i think 600 is way too much im thinking between 400 and 250 but im not so caught up about the wattage as i am to what type of light to buy ? like specific ... flood light ? security light ? warehouse light? stadium light... street light ? what will work best for my setup having in mind heat might be and issue in the summer...basicaly im gussing all the hps will be self ballasted meaning the ballast will be in the fixture... so would that be an issue ? i can maybe ask if they have with remote ballast ? but if they dont i must make it work somehow... so thats why thinking of going smaller i dont have space for huge trees and the fixture will take a lot of lenght i dont want to be burning my babies even do i will train them but there is not much width to work with so i cant strech em out too much if you understand me... i know ive asked too much from you man and i appreciate all the help and effort thanks again :)

7. Let's say your room is 1.2 meters X 0.9meters (4 foot x3foot ) a 600w is perfect for a 4 foot xx foot room , some pre fair 1000w in a 4'x4' room though .
    Get two 250w lamps that way you can start off with just one and save to get the next or try to get a deal on two lights and save for the second bulb .

Again I don't know what your streetlamps ect run wattage wise , that's down to you to find out.

Google hps coverage area and determine the best option for your grow ,
    Also I don't know the $$$ you earn or have to grow with I'm just telling you what I'd get

600w hps

Best vent available . You should be able to buy a good in line duct fan made for bathroom extraction vents ill post a pic to show you what I'm talking about.

Temp /humidity gauge . Available at pet stores for reptiles and such.

White paint ( emulsion )

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

• Like Like x 1
  8. Man the thing is im way over budget this is my first ever grow... And im a firm beliver if you do something do it propper... Thats why im thinking of going with hps... But the thing is i cannot have those bige aluminium vent tube things out of the cabinet going thru my room and i cannot cut behind the wall because its solid rock... So im thinking of going with just 1 250 watt hps/mh and just put the fan i already bought for extraction and maybe buy later a cheab bathroom vent if needed hopefully....

9. #90 Duke nukem', May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Again I don't know what you have to work with , if your sticking with the 250w I wouldn't resize your room as you'll wont be Able to properly light anything bigger than the room you have now

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

10. Also you don't need big aluminium ducts 4' is the same as ducting for dryers .
    You won't need to have any ducting if you draw fresh air up from under your floor boards , that way you'll be able to vent air to the outside of your grow box .

I think you need to have a good look around at people's setups on here as I think you have the wrong idea of how grow rooms look.

Plus what's the issue with a bit of ducting , no one should be anywhere near your bedroom to see it , surely since your worried about going to jail , you have more sense than to invite people to see your grow room

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

11. bro i've searched non-stop for 2 weeks now.... and i think there is something wrong with my current... so i decided i will go with the hps... i called the shop just now that sells them here is the link of the actual floods... vitolighting.com the clerk told me that they can run both 250 and 400 watt so i can just start with 250 bulb then just buy 400 later if needed also he said they can run both mh and hps so that's a big pluss and they are not that expensive ...and with the rest of the money which i will save if i get them... im tinking of buying voltage regulator (stabilizer) and propper heavy duty powe strip with power surge... best one i can get just to be on the safe side... i dont understand the part about getting air from under the floor boards...are you talking about opening the bottom part of the closet like where the pot's are placed ? and i cant have ducting for the reason because im living with my parents and my mom can see the duct work and know what's up and i dont want any additional problems... i just want to make easy simple setup im not planning on getting pounds i will be extatic if i get 100-150 grams of good quality bud from 3-5 plants i will be thrilled.... like i said this is my first ever grow and it's for my own personal use i dont tend to sell that's why i dont care about the autorites... cause they wont have any reason for warrant to come since i wont be selling .. this is supposed to be stealth grow !! :D

12. also i called electrician to come tomorrow to check things out since im going all the way i might just make sure first i can do this safely... my only concern is what to tell the electrician ... for example i cant show him my dyi cfl grow light fixture and ask him why my bulbs keep blowing up... so any tips on how to approach the situation would be really appreciated ... and what to tell him to look for .. ? and how to exactly explain the situation without him raising eyebrows...thanks....

• Like Like x 1
  13. That light is not switchable , it runs 400w put a 250w bulbs in that and you'll waste a bulb . Try one by all means but magnetic ballast are Definitely not variable tbh I don't think any digital ballast switches automatically.

This is why I told you to acknowledge your parents of your intentions to grow , you said they were good with it , but they obviously don't know so here's how they will find out .

#1 electricity bills rise.
    #2 noise produced .
    #3 putting clothes away.
    #4 that ominous glow. that comes out of your wardrobe .

IF you make it to flower ,

#5 your house ALWAYS smells of weed
    #6 live cannabis plants smells a lot stronger and hell of a lot different than its dried product imo.

Also do you think your parents are going to react well when they find out they are paying to feed your cannabis habit , on top of the possibility of going to jail for something they know nothing about?

I can't help you anymore than that your country is blacklisted from postage , I can't source any equipment in your country as I don't know your location , and have no idea of the money you have available to spend .

You need to either convince your parents to allow you to continue
    Or continue and be prepared to get kicked out or just continue buying weed from street dealers .

You obviously need to get your priorities in order , your country is obviously hard on drug crime so why would you put your friends and family at risk

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

14. #95 jocasmoka, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    man about the light do you mean it' cant axcept bulb smaller the 400 watt or it cant run both mh and hps... because i care more about the switching mh and hps part....
    about the other stuff...
    1.like i said electricity here is cheap and it's gonna rise like 10 pound a month.... which im gladly willing to pay for if needed... but wont need cause my psu is already using 800 watt... and we always had high bills plus i can just say i bought another graphic card...
    2.i live on seperate floor from my parents and noise is not an issue... i've been living like that 15 years now so like i said im like their flat mate....
    3 .the only thing is my mom pops in once every 2 weeks to pick up any socks or something laying around for washing because in the next room is the laundry machine... and i do not use the cabinet for clothes anyways it just had old clothes there small which i dont use and i threw them all away...
    4 . i will light proof the cabinet i will seal any light leakages... that's not a problem and like i said my parents dont have any reason to come in my living area except if need to use the freezer or washing mashine which is situated in the room next to me...
    5.my house does smell always like weed anyways... cause i smoke every day all day long... and yes they are cool with me smoking weed but not neceserily growing...
    6. yes i know how cannabis plants smell thats why i will incorporate dyi air scrubber , get couple ona gels... and get glades for every single wall plug on my floor and i didnt wanted to say that because im paranoid another person from my country might be on this forum and maybe connect it to me somehow that's why i will make another account on this forum just for this reason and i will start my grow journal on it... and i have 100-120 euroes to spend thats like 100 pounds because im already 100 euros in 80 pounds .. and this was suppose to be small dyi budget grow.. but obviosly things got out of proportion a bit... so are you gonna give me any more reasons why i shouldnt or you gonna give me advice how to do this safe ? thanks again for your concerns... i know you mean good ... but im gonna do this regardles...im prepaired to take the consequences... id rather get caught growing killer bud then risk with dealers and get caught with some shwag here they have a lot of police informants and that;s why im so paranoid about sourcing stuff and the only way for me to get caught if someone will rat me out which i wont and can't let happen that's why im going with stealth...and about the budget keep in mind that the standard is here way low so as the wages.. so 100 euros is a lot basicaly stuff are cheaper... but also harder to find and the options are limited..

15. Yes 400w only lamp

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

• Like Like x 1
  16. as long as i can change between mh and hps im good... and if i can find a way to keep things cool enough for the hps

17. Don't use air changing products in your grow room

Yes draw air from under the floorboards as air will be cooler and then vent through the top preferably but can also vent out back if need be

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade

• Like Like x 1
  18. so cant i just make more hols at the bottom of the back piece of wood or it has to be below the pots...and how would i do that ? make holls at the bottom ? arent my pots suppose to be sitting there or you are talking about small holes just enough for the air to pass thru ? can you pls explain in to detail

19. What cfm or meter cubed per hour is your planned extractor

And fair enough the big secret was your location but honestly pal gc is a safe place to be as long as your not meeting up with people .

If life gives you lemons
    You make lemonade