need help wiring hps flood....

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jocasmoka, Jun 4, 2016.

1. hey i need help with wiring the flood i wired it to a socket/plug and conected the wires to the flood and its not working properly any sugesttions ? i will post a picture so u can see... its makins small buzzing noise and its kinda flickering and it has purple color ?
    [​IMG]

2. are you using a ballast that came with the flood? looks like its not getting the proper signal from the ignitor to fire up the bulb......this is usually caused by mismatching the bulb or ballast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. hey thanks for the reply and yes its self contained its inside the flood the ballast and the ignitor ... its magnetic one and the flood is supposed to run for 250-400 watt and both mh/hps at least that's what it say's on it ... and thats what the store that sold it to me said... if that's any helpful.im thinking its the bulb since it actualy lights up but not glowing proper... and also it makes small noise and flickers...

4. i must be sure before i buy new bulb if that's the actual problem any suggestions would be helpful btw im a noob at this...

5. ok just so you know if takes a few minutes for the bulb to actually heat up and get to full brightness. Also with HID (hps/mh) lights you need to wait a few minutes to reignite the bulb...it's important that the bulb cools for a few minutes before firing it up again.

It sounds more like it's not igniting properly though. If the ballast can handle both 250-400 w mh and hps there should be a switch on it somewhere to select the bulb and wattage you are using....otherwise unless it's a digital ballast I don't see how it would 'know' which wattage to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yes man i've waited like 15 minutes and nothing happens it just stays the same and as far as i could see there wasnt any switch... maybe it is digital i really dont know man im telling you what they told me if you like i can open the back and take a picture so you can see if that helps?and the bulb doesnt even get hot... im telling you man its barely even lights up its like a candle and just glowing purple and pulsing like a lava lamp ...

7. I understand the flickering...I've had issues with ballasts not igniting bulbs before and it sounds the same....faint blue/purple glow, slight crackling.
    yeh take a pic of how it's wired as well as any sticker that shows a wiring diagram on the back.
    don't void any warranty stickers by opening it or anything...and be supercareful, capacitors can still hold a charge even when they're not plugged in.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hey man i dont know what a capacitor is and about the wiring diagram there is no sticker it's just scraped on the metal sheet below the wires connecting ... there is a L a N which i assume is for neutral which is in the middle and a sign like this (-I )
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

btw sry for the bad quality couldn't get it to focus

• Like Like x 1
  9. oh ok man I think the issue is that it's a 220/240v fixture and yer running it on 110v. I'm guessing that you're in the U.S. and that you have wired it to plug in to a normal wall socket which is 110v. I'd recommend that you return that light and exchange it for a 110v one.
    220v is what runs your dryer...you don't want to run a single small grow light on that circuit (please don't mess with 220v it's much more dangerous if you don't know your electricity!)...I'd guess that your fixture is more for commercial lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. hey man ... how could i miseed that :D no i dont live in the usa but i think i do run on 120 volt since my house is old and i only use 2 pins for the plug and yes i wired it to a plug to a normal wall socket ... im so confused right now ? why would they sell me the 240 volt if we're on 120 ? and i dont understand about the dryer since i dont have one ... and yes the fixture (flood light ) is used for iluminating footbal fields,property and such... so is there anything to be done except return it ? what if they dont want to change it .. ? is there a way i can make it work ? thanks for the reply

11. #11 jocasmoka, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    and if that is the case how come i have a fan which is 240 volts and its connected the same to a socket and doesnt make problems ?
    and i just googled and found out that we are on 230 volts electricity 50 / hz

• Like Like x 1
  12. ok hmm I was assuming voltage was the problem..if your other normal appliances say 220v then your country must use that as a standard voltage.
    Maybe take it to the store to see what the problem is, maybe they can help check the wiring or the bulb?...just say yer hooking it up for a security light outside on your porch and want to run it on an extension cord cuz yer a renter or something.
    I'm not sure what the problem might be at this point (unless it's a mechanical issue with the bulb or igniter)....and I'm not too familiar with 220v stuff so I wouldn't feel comfortable advising you on that.
    I'd be willing to bet though if you do an advanced search, you can probably find someone in your same country that's wired a very similar light. The info is most likely all ready here on GC somewhere. Sorry wish I could have solved this for you :v/

• Like Like x 1
  13. hey man that is the problem i ordered the light from another city... and i thought maybe the bulb was damaged in transport... and the only way to do what are you saying is to physicaly go to the shop and see whats up with the flood it self... which i might have to do tomorrow..... no problem man thanks for the help anyways ... and no there isnt any info about it but i will call the shop tomorrow and see what they have to say and then i will decide...

• Like Like x 1