Need Help! What's wrong with these plants?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by LightGuy420, Mar 2, 2012.

1. All the new growth is small, yellow, growing slowly and kinda weird. I don't know what the problem is. I thought I might have overfed, but I flushed one to see if it helped, it didn't. And I just watered two with plain 5.9ph, ~002ppm (distilled) water. It almost seems like it gets a little worse right after I water them (with plain and/or nute water).

I don't know what to try next. Has anyone experienced this? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is some info on the plants that I am seeing the problem on.
    5 plants,

4 in pure canna coco - 2 Chiesel, 1 Cindy99, 1 Agent orange

1 in dwc bubble bucket - White Rhino

everything ph'd around 5.8

Have been watering with ~1000ppm nute water, I have now watered 3 with plain ~002ppm and have seen no improvement.

If there is any other info I left out, just let me know and I will be glad to fill in the blanks. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

(in the last pic, the plant on top of the pic is the agent orange that is having the problem, and the plant on the bottom of the pic is one of my chem dawgs in a dwc bucket that is doing fine)

Attached Files:

2. #2 zeroshawdow, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
    If can take a picture with natural light, flash light or any white light, we could help you even better.

1st thing I will do if I was you is start doing a little bit of work with you PH ranges. Not all plants like PH@5.8 or at least is not OPTIMAL, always. Just water with Base Nutrients to avoid more Nutrients Lockout. Are you using Coco Coir or FIBER ?

I ask because I'm using Coco too as well and the ones growing with FIBER are giving me a little bit of troubles and the ones with COIR are super green.

3. I'm not sure if it's coir or fiber, this is my first time with coco. I'm using Canna brand coco straight out of the bag.

It's weird, I just watered another one and it got worse again, they seem to get worse right after I water them. But something else weird I have noticed is, right after I water them, they put off like an almost sulphur smell. I have never experienced this before. I had planned on raising the ph next time I feed them, I just wanted to flush them first, incase I over fed.. But I have been watering them with 5.8 most their life and they have been fine, but it's worth a try..

Any thoughts on what the sulphur smell is about?

and I will see if I can get a white light pic after the lights go off..

Thanks for the help!

4. im not very well versed in coco, but if its closer to soil than hydro, then i believe you should be using slightly higher Ph 6.2? if i remember correct is a better ph for soil.

Also, how often were you watering with nute'd water? and plain water now? cos i know i personally slowly killed a blue dream teen that i had by over watering :( it was summer and it was my first shot at soil. i thot i was helping >.<

if its getting worse right after you water, id let them dry out at least a day(maybe day and a half?) before giving more plain water.

just my 2 cents. goodluck!:smoke:

5. Thanks for the input! It's said that 5.8ph is ideal for coco, and as you said, slightly higher for soil, the 6.2-6.5 range. And it's also said that you can't over water with coco, primarily because it is so "airy" and gets lots of oxygen to the roots thus drying out faster.. I water mine every 3 (4 days tops) with nutrient water. That's another thing with coco, it is inert and does not absorb nutrients like soil does. So to maintain ppms I feel you should feed every watering.

I had this same problem when I first got these as clones, then they came back and have been doing great up until about a week ago, when I saw this problem return. Only thing I could think of that I might of done is went a little high on my ppms. So I flushed with plain water and it still didn't help. But then I got to thinking, since I was using just plain distilled water, the ph may not have been stable and was dropping the ph of the coco to low when I watered. So, I just flushed again, with just a little pro tekt, and as suggested by zero^, a little base nutrients and I raised the ph to 6.1. I still want it about 5.9, but I went a little high to level it out if it was low. So I will just wait and see if it improves at all. If it doesn't, then I am pretty much out of ideas. So any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

6. I'm using Coco too as well. The greatest benefit is like you said, we cannot over water and over fertilization can be corrected faster than soil. I'm using two types of Coco; Fiber & Coir. Fiber is the one that looks like mulch and Coir is more like dirt. I'm having great success with the Coir, the Fiber in the other hand is giving me a little bit of problems.

The good thing I learned from Coco and Hydroponics is that we can easily go back to zero in case of problems and then we start troubleshooting or diagnosing our problem.

Easy solution to fix problems with Coco: FLUSH, WAIT 24 HOURS AND START AGAIN ! WE GOTTA LOVE THAT

7. Agreed! I have 3 in dwc bubble buckets, and had planned on going all hydro. Then my buddy suggested I try coco, and I am now selling alll my buckets haha (after I finish the plants that are in them of course).. Granted, my girls in the buckets are looking great, but when the ones in the coco were healthy they were rivaling the buckets all the way. And at this point, I am having to top off each bucket with about a gallon a day and adjust ph daily as well! Where as I'm only having to water every 3 days with the coco, plus no air tubes, air pumps, etc... I am all for coco! I just wish I could fix this dang issue I am having. They basically aren't growing at all, they should have been in flower a week ago!