Need help w/ light size/watts =)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cityboyz239, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Im currently building a "approx size" box 3x3x6. I'm currently doing my first grow..lemon skunk..had to move them outside now cause my 400 watt ballast died and I'm on a budget now! I wanna grow with strictly cfl's in this box. I don't know anything about lights except the wattage..someone told me to use a single 200 watt 6400k cfl w/ a reflector? and a 250 watt 2700k cfl and 3 45 watt for flowering? Since I'm a newbie I'm gettn northern lights..I'd appreciate any help/input I could get! I'm sure this sounds stupid but what are those numbers "2700k" mean? Other than lighting I pretty much am good from there =)

2. 2700 kelvin is a way to measure the color /spectrum . the lower the color the more blue uv type light. just like w/ hps and metal halide . hps will have a higher kelvin rating and halide has a lower. lowerK for veg, higherK for flower.

3. #3 Cityboyz239, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Sweet! I appreciate the info! I was using a 400 watt MH w/ reflector for my skunks..for some reason my ballast died!? R.I.P =( Soo Im takin a risk n finishing them outside. Thanks again! Ooo I almost forgot how many bulbs would you recommend for just two NL's? Was gonna go with multiple plants but I'm still learning soo wanna slow the amount down..

4. dude you need to check you cap and igniter or the corresponding peices in the ballast enc.
    you can buy new ones for hella cheap at any good hydro store or on amazon. you should really check it out.

5. #5 Cityboyz239, Jun 10, 2011
    The cheapest I found was a 100 on amazon..this one is dead for sure..had my neighbor who's a electrician test it =( there doin good outside two of the 7 have a lil stretch goin on..my neighbor gave me a bunch of cfl's today soo I might just finish these outdoors n start a cfl grow next? I'm not a pro grower..it's more of a lil hobby and I LOVE to smoke =) relieves all my life's tensions! I'll look for a ballast as soon as my funds are back up..this outta state move cost me ALOT! Thanks for your input!

6. yeah i just moved from the midwest(Killer City) to colorado. was a little touch and go for a but but im good now

7. #7 Cityboyz239, Jun 13, 2011
    Always wanted to check out CO..a good friend of mine just moved there from north Cali..she loves it. I'll get back on my feet from the move soon..everything takes time =) take care ttyl