Need help starting seeds, what is the right way?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Gadzala, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Hey folks, I've been having some trouble starting my seeds.

I've been googling this for a while, and I find answers but then I find another answer from what appears to be another reputable source and that answer is the complete opposite...

For example, after germination (root is about 1/4~1/2 inch) and placing in soil. Ive read to water once~twice a day, some say thats overwatering, I've also read that your not supposed to let the soil dry out before it sprouts above ground, which would probably mean misting more than 4 times a day...

I've also read that instead of putting it in root down you can put in in root facing up to save the plant's energy, anyone know anything about that?

Also I havn't been putting plastic wrap on my pots to keep humidity in, some guy said I can do this and leave it in the dark like I would with germination and it will pop above soil, at which point I can put it under light, or should I put it under light to begin with.

My soil/seeds dried out when following the twice a day watering method, and
    I'm not sure what the right answer is anymore, heres my setup right now;

Reptile Cage, with 3 CFLS (42 watt, 2x30watt 6500k bulbs) (I'm not trying to grow a whole plant, just get it ready for outside), I have mylar around the sides, two computer fans for ventilation, and the lights are on a timer for 20/4.

Recently I've had a lot of seeds fail, but I've been trying out different methods and have been slowly getting better.

I have two seeds that just finished germination and im thinking of going to put them in some seed starting mix, this time I'm going to cover the pot with plastic wrap, but im not sure what to do after that, how often I should water, or if I should put it under light right away?

If you could answer any of my questions it would be much appreciated... I really wish I started earlier so I could waste less time failing aha, I really want to be able to harvest enough for the years personal use!!

2. #2 Corto Malteze, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012
    it's easy, this is how I do it
    place seeds in glass of distilled water for 36 hours (this moistens them and shows which are good to grow). It speeds up the process also.
    you'll see the seed crack open slightly and a tap root come out (don't let it get long not more than 2-3 mm about), just after 36 hours, even if it's not cracked get em out of the water
    use an airy soil mix
    wet soil completely (drenched) before placing the seeds
    place seed on the soil either side ways (it'll find the right way with gravity) or with the pointy side, where the root comes out UP (yes UP) If the tap root is long (1 cm+) place it downwards (hence don't let it get too long). Cover gently with a bit more soil (so you can't see it).
    Don't water as you already did
    water lightly (mist to not rip the small roots) after 1-2 days until it gets out of the soil (don't touch!). This takes 5 days about.
    No need for lots of sun or indoor lights until they pop out (and even after they do they can stay behind a window sill or shaded spot a few days, they don't need it right away)
    Then, when it's out nd 1 week old, water more and let dry.

OR

take the new seed, place it sideways (or pointy side up) 1/4 inch in the soil and mist/dry until it sprouts.

3. Okay Corto thanks a lot, do you not use the plastic wrap to keep humidity?

4. you're welcome
    no plastic needed as in nature there is none
    check the temps (not too cold or too hot like 15-25 degrees). If you start them in winter, a seedling heating mat helps too but I never use those. Just sprout them in an average temp room. Have a good one.

5. Maby im crazy but the way I sprout seeds is I wet a paper towl and place the seeds on one side and fold the other side of the paper towl over the seeds then I just put them in a zip lock bag, I let them sprout until each seedling tap root is about 2 inches long and the seed shell has cracked and fell off, by this time the two small leaves are showing and I place each sprout in 2 gal pots with the two small leaves barley above the soil, this avoids having to wait for seedlings to break the surface of the soil and I havent had any negative effects doing it this way, I use a seed starting mix of 20% wormcastings, 40% sphagnum peat moss, and 40% small grade perlite and water each sprout once a day keeping them in the shade that receives filtered light the first few days then increase sun exposure over the next week, this has never failed for me.

6. This is my second season and both seasons ive done it a different way. Last seasom being a noob an not reading anything on growing i remeber someone telling me in high school to pit them in a wet papertowel and put them under my mattress an thats what i did last year. It didnt quite germinate tho none of them were sprouted but all of the seeds eventually sprouted in soil. This i idid pretty muh what corto said and worked great also. Goodluck

7. most helpful, thanks corto.

8. Soak for 24 or until it cracks, paper towel till you see root then plant 1/4" down..should pop up in a day or two

9. All I do is get a solo cup, put in some light warrior and plant my seed....too easy. I mean, thats how mother nature intended.

10. Simple is better for germinating seeds. Placing them directly in the soil like corto explained is the best way to go. Paper towl method works but has much more room for error and failure. The last 10-20 seeds ive planted have been directly in the soil watered a few times and every single one has popped above ground in 3-10 days.

11. Hey gadzala

Cannabis seeds germinate between 74 and 80 degrees farenheit. Higher or lower means slow germ or no germ. Seeds need moisture to germinate, water will drown them.

I pay $10-25$ per seed, and on Oct 10, that seeds turned into $3000 worht of smoke. Thats all too much for me to just stick them in the dirt and hope.

Some years back i did a bunch of research and once finished, i made the germination machine in the thread ive linked. It keeps the temps steady at 76 degrees and results in 100% germination every single time without exception. I haven t purchased a seed that didnt germ in years. It cost about $20 to build and will pay for itself with the first pak of seeds.

http://forum.grasscity.com/outdoor-...ed-germination-breakthrough.html#post14522413

12. Water won't drown then I have 100% germ and I can get them germinated and above ground in less than 72 hrs

13. I agree with ALL of you. No matter what method you use there should be a really high success rate unless you did something seriously wrong. Sprouting seeds is the easiest part of growing!

14. seed in glass of distilled water for 36 hours
    water a small cup with an airy soil mix without nutes (or just castings) (or a light potting soil for seedlings) before placing the seed so it doesn't shift around
    empty water glass
    take seed with a spoon and place it pointy side UP (where point of the tap root is out) 1/4 inch in the soil (cover with loose soil. Place pointy side DOWN if the tap root is longer
    wait and watch it grow.
    Mist after 1 or 2 days

15. Dont listen to anectdotes and home remedies Gadzala. Advance your growing skills the right way and take the time to discover what what science has learned about the germination process. While the methods suggested here vary, there is no variation in the findings of biologist and ag researchers on the conditions required for germination. Their findings and recommendations are consistent and based on extensive testing and experimentation..

I might add that if you discuss germination with any major breeder from DJshort to luke at paradise seeds, they will immediately provide you with a list or reading materials.

Start here:

"Secrets of Plant Propagation". Lewis Hill. Story Communications. Gardenway Publishing.

Hill collaborates with Dr. Norman Pellet and Dr. Leonard Perry for a super informative book about propagation from starting seeds to cloning, layering, grafting, tissue cultures and other important issues for the cannabis grower.

Richard C. Clarke has done several germination experiments and notes those in his writings.

The University of Vermont has conducted extensive germination trials.

16. Just had to say thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I've followed all your advice and now have 4 babies well on there way, really appreciate the help. The biggest error I was making was my watering (under), also my soil was filled with all this crap, so I strained all the bark and rocks out of it and got nice loose soil, and mixed in more perlite and I was good to go.