Need help starting indoors

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SpaceAce, May 3, 2009.

1. Over time I have collected a good amount of seeds and I want to start growing a plant or 2 in my closet to guarantee I have bud at all times and maybe make a few bucks too. I was wondering whether I should use soil or grow hydro. What supplies would I need for each and which is more cost effective?

2. ok well right now i am doing a grow i got 4 plants started there like 4 inchs tall in like 3 days which is ok i am using cfl's which are flooresent lights since your doing a indoor closet grow you need 200 watts of power so thats around 8 26 watt cfl's 1600-1800 lumens the more lumens the better . right now i am using soil which is alot cheaper then hydro. if you decide to go with cfl's and soil make sure the soil you get does not have slow releasing nutes get regular soil with NO nutes add nutes later to prevent nute burn

Lights i used easy to get that type of light
    Bayco at Lowe's: Rite-Lite 5 1/2" Clamp Light

CFL THERE THE EQUVILANT BUT THERE ONLY 26 WATTS EACH NEED AROUND 8-9 FOR 2 PLANTS
    Bright Effects at Lowe's: 2-Pack 100-Watt Equivalent CFL Light Bulb

I used a 5 gallon bucket with like 10 small holes cut in the bottom
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=43770-84240-PN0011&lpage=none

That should work for a indoor and not shouldnt get very hot at all can wait in 2-3 weeks my babys go on my roof :)

3. Is there any particular soil that is better than others? Also what chemicals will I need?

4. #4 begginer, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    I went to the links you had posted and the one for the light bulbs were SOFT white lights and i thought i have been told use Day lights for veg. and soft for flow.? I went to lowes and got 5 gal bucket and got 2 bathroom vanity light fixtures with three places for bulbs in each for $10 a peice and got 2 six foot extention cords for $2 a peice. I hooked the extention cords to the vanity and hooke up a chain to it. So thats what i got, but i got 26w DAY light bulbs as thought i was told am i suppose to use soft or day for starting out? Ive got one thats about 3" tall and ive been using day lights. Just haveing trouble with ferts and the soil. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

5. I ran over to the hardware store and picked up a 5 gallon bucket, ph meter and 8 26w CFLs (4 Soft white and 4 Daylight). Would anyone recommend soil and fertilizers?