Need help setting up my grow cabinet

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Indoorcat, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Hey guys. I live in California and they recently made it legal to grow up to 6 plants indoors. I want to set up a small (really small) grow space, mostly kinda as a science experiment. I tried to dig in and do some research, but holy shit there are so many conflicting reports on equipment and such I just wanted your guys opinions.

I acquired some Northern Lights seeds and am looking to set up a bubbleponic system. Since space is so tight HID lighting is pretty much out of the question. My space is very limited, and all I have is a 4sq ft cabinet to grow in. I was first looking to get a t5HO light fixture because that's what I've grown aquarium plants with, but now I'm starting to lean towards an LED. My budget is about $175 for the light and was looking at the Galaxyhydro 600watt LED. Has anybody had any experience with this light? Any input is appreciated.

2. As far as head room goes, LED and HID are pretty comparable. Most LEDs require 18" from canopy. I think you are on the right track with the T5.

3. Check out my small scale grow. I'm having pretty solid results using a 300w LED in a 2ft x 2ft x 3 ft tent with a carbon filter ducted to an inline fan. I'm expecting maybe 1.5-2 ounces. This is my first grow, mind you.

First Grow - Camelwalk Kush/300w LED

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. That's good to know. What happens to the plants if they're closer? Is it just too intense?

5. That's good to know. What happens to the plants if they're closer? Is it just too intense?

6. 4 square feet as in 2x2? This is the perfect light for your space. These are "the best" LED's you can buy right now. No light is getting higher gram per watt figures than these lights. I know they're spendy. You'll thank me when you make over 1/2 pound with a 200 watt light. Just sell something and buy one. You'll be glad you did. The lights you're looking at will be lucky to get you 1g/watt if you're the best expert grower around. I've seen 1.9g/watt with these lights.

When you're growing something as expensive as weed is, the potential to double your yield shouldn't be ignored even if it costs a little more than you want.
    200 Watt Cree CXB3590 Square Framework

• Like Like x 1
  7. #8 WizSteve, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    I must admit I am very impressed by these and if your a do it yourself kinda person this is the answer
    still pretty costly even at the cheapest of places found at about 35-45 per chip , at 56 watts each. not a bad option if your handy .
    You pick the color.(2700k-6500k) figure 100 for the first chip to build than add 50 for each one after. so for 4 about $250 and 8 of them $450+ add some hardware place it into a glass tube w/ducting on both ends you know the drill LED without heat. will still burn plants if too intense for too long and these can be dimmed. now add a controller, a computer and whatever and set it to mimic the sun
    in the morning the sun will get brighter(more intense as the day goes on, than dims till sundown )

or maybe that controller....

8. How can i build a cree?

9. There's many youtube video's. There's DIY's in the lighting section at this forum. Realstyles does some DIY threads here at GC among others users. You can source parts on the net or if you noticed, this site sells kits with lights, lenses, drivers. You build your own frame. As far as parts though they're more money than getting your stuff other places on the net.
    Timber Grow Lights

10. Tha
    Thanks i want to try some, im an aerospace machinist and could buid some nice units if i can get parts that are nice and i could get some real numbers from some builders

11. It's super easy to find info. Google is your friend. Lots of info in GC in the lighting section and other places. It's been the beezneez in the DIY hacker light community for over a year now. Everyone is building their own lights and smashing most commercial fixtures yield per watt numbers except me.. heh.

12. Just spent the last few hours watching that cats videos, he's putting out some really clean looking stuff,
    Eventually I would like to try a diy cob

(€};-]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yea it's 2x2 and I forgot to mention it's 6 feet tall. That looks like more than I wanted to spend for a casual grow.

14. Yea it's 2x2 and I forgot to mention it's 6 feet tall. That looks like more than I wanted to spend for a casual grow.

15. Than maybe this?

16. How about outfitting my 13x15 flower room? What do you think on cost to cover most of it say 10x10 or 12x12? Could these save me or break the bank, i could re up for next run with this, and make my own fixtures (aerospace machinist here). Just seems like alot..

17. With the Cree yes I could see doing this I could see placing them in the walls and ceiling still want a HID in the middle. if you balance the watts you might come up with something special

here take a look at these I think I found a winner convert T5 into LED

18. Actually after watching those videos it looks super fun to build a light. Only problem is I don't know jack shit about how much driver I need etc.

19. Actually after watching those videos it looks super fun to build a light. Only problem is I don't know jack shit about how much driver I need etc.