need help setting up hydro ebb and flow system.

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by thelaffingman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. hey guys, i'm doing my first crop right now in soil but really want to switch to hydro next time. i have a 4x8 tent and two 1000w lights. i'm going to get a 3x6 hydro tray.

so i guess my questions are...

how often will i need to replace my reservoir? does that mean dumping it and filling it with new everything?

do i just fill pots with clay pebbles and insert the clones just like how soil works?

can i use clones grown in dirt for hydro?

can i continue using my nutrient regimen of General Organics, (it's made by general hydro so i would assume so) molasses, and guano tea?

how often should i flood and drain and for how long?

do you think 30 plants in a 3x6 tray would work?

thanks guys, peace!

2. For the reservoir it's best to dump it and clean it and start fresh between changes. The numbers depend on the size of it and number of plants. The number of plants you should use depend on what type of hydroponic growing method you'll employ. Some people do wash clones that were in soil and put them in hydro but I'd just keep clones soley in rockwool until ready to go in the hydroton if that's the medium you end up using. The amount of flooding depends on the medium such as hydroton, same with the duration. The more you read up, the more you'll become aware of what interests you and just follow that path until you settle on methods that you desire.

Until then specifics can't really be discussed.

3. Well really 1000w in a 4x8 is not enough..
    You should shoot for at least 50w per sq ft.
    Wattage divided by the L x W
    So in your case, you're output is 31.25w per sq ft.

Yes, for most nutes you have to completely change the nutes every two weeks.. Some do it every month to keep costs down, just watch for salt buildups..
    This depends on what system you're going to use..

You want to use a 3x6 flood tray.. But you really don't want to just fill it with hydroton.. OMG, that would just make a HUGE mess/mass of roots.. Then if one plant gets a fungi or root rott, it will spread VERY quickly through your whole garden.

If you're going to use a flood tray, I would go with the 6x6 rockwool blocks, or a 6" net cups filled with hydroton.. But you don't want to just fill that tray with hydroton (even though many people do)..

You can use clones in both..
    I built an DIY EZ Cloner and it works great (just Google it)..
    They are very easy to build and give you some flexibility over the heating pad/dome method..

The molasses may pose a problem down the road with building up and clogging your pump..

I would stick to the just for hydro nutes..
    They make organics (like Fox Farm) for hydroponics, just use one of them if you wish to stay with organics..

Depends on how old they are, what grow medium you're using, and what the conditions are inside your chamber.. Hydroton, usually every 2-1/2 to 4hrs, and for 15 minutes.. Rockwool is different..

3x6 = 18 sq ft..
    Suggested distance is 1' apart..

Personally I would add a 1000w lamp to that chamber and go with a 12 site Ebb and Gro bucket system.. Or 12 Bubble Buckets in that 4x8 room..

You'll get more bang for your buck...

4. 2000 divided by 32 is 62.5 watts per sq ft. the GO stuff is okay is what the hydro store says. thanks for the info otherwise dude!

oh and FYI fox farms is an organic derivative. it used to be all organic but no
    longer.

5. Ya, that's what I give my flowering chamber, 62w sq..
    Nice tight buds...

Ya, sorry, did not know that about Fox Farm not being organic anymore..
    I use GH myself, it has never treated my plants wrong... ;)

6. so if I have 6" net pots filled with hydroton pebbles will those just sit in the tray with the plants?

7. Ya, a lot of people do it that way..
    I have always have suggested ebb and gro, or aeroponics, and I use both methods myself..

Easier to move around from chamber to chamber, easier to maintain, and gives the plants nutes when and where they need them.... In my option anyway...

8. I'll be sure to check that out. ultimately I really wanna do aero. just want to
    build my knowledge before I tackle it.

9. oh and what brands of pumps and whatever else I may need are the best? not trying to cheap out.

10. Then start there!!
    It really is not that hard, but it does take more precise readings on your ppm and ph.. As opposed to ebb and gro with hydroton, you will cycle the pump more often, so if the ppm gets out of hand, you will see nute burn faster in areo..

The pump depends on the size of the system..
    Look through the forums here, or Google Videos "DIY ebb&gro and areoponics"..
    It will at least give you some idea on system sizes and pump sizes..

11. I don't get why anything was posted after my post.

12. :confused::confused::confused:
    cause personal options are like assholes, everybody has one???
    :confused::confused::confused:

13. Nothing I said was personal opinion.. Either what I said was repeated, or opinions were stated. Although re-reading my post, the tone may have come off as dickish sorry >.<

14. Its all good...
    Did not mean to step on your toes here.. Got all high and seen his post, I guess was just trying to help and break his questions down one by one, injecting my personal options and experience so he gets more then one option..

like I say, options like assholes... ;)

(but ya, did come off kind of dickish :p )
    Again, it's all good...

if I could I'd :smoke: one with ya right about now.. LOL :D

15. #15 MasterSay, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

haha thanks for the understanding. I don't smoke though. I grow Medical Marijuana for patients only. Not my bag anymore. My experience only lays in SoG Hydroponics (Ebb/Flow) and fully inorganic, also, completely Organic Soil growing. Depending on the patients preference and needs of course. Other methods I'm always wanting to learn about but don't have the physical experience.

16. im running an ebb and flow bucket system.

Check out my grow journal below for pics....

But i change my res every week because i just dont want to deal with build up or anything inside the res. Depending on how you use your tent i like to have a litlte bit of extra room to move around and work inside my tent, and i lower my lights anyways.... my tents 5x5 and i run 6 plants with a scrog setup and i lower the lights pretty close and moving them closer as they can take it. I could almost use a 6X6 better so i would have 2 feet of room on each side of my scrog table to work. Just because your tent is ___ x___ doesnt mean you need to stuff the whole thing with plants. Sometimes its nice to have a larger work area.

17. Well I kind of do the same..

You see, the state I'm in does not have any dispensaries.. Which makes NO SINCE!! Our Gov. says they can have it to ease their medical conditions, but they have to get it illegally from a drug dealer... Matter fact, one of the patients I help was ticketed for "loitering in a known drug area" when out trying to get his medication... It's fucking crazy!!

So, enough was enough, and I now dedicate my time setting up grows for medical patients which are on a fixed income or have very little money to start a grow of their own..

Thus why I have such vast knowledge in the different growing methods and techniques... I pretty much have used every method and growing medium at one point or another...

18. I know this is an old thread .... but KUDOS to you Jakester for your info & for helping the less fortunate in need +reps for you