Need help quitting smoking (cigarettes)

Discussion in 'General' started by needtogethigh, Jul 28, 2011.

1. I really, really, really want to quit smoking cigarettes. Any tips guys? I've tried patches, Chantix, gum, and snus. Only thing I haven't tried yet is an e-cig.

2. #2 Bong716, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
    Don't be a quitter! Smoking makes you look younger, run faster, smell better, and live longer. I'm currently 162 and I look like I'm 19.

EDIT: Those E-cigs are pretty good at fooling your mind, but it don't take care of the cravings. I remember one night I tried to just puff one of those things in Menthol (I smoke Menthol full time). I was about ready to rip my hair out after a few hours. They are just so unsatisfying and they are fucking HEAVY. Can't just have it hanging from your lips all willy nilly.

3. Only advice I have it don't get e-cigs with nicotine. It doubled my habit because you just sit around puffing it, taking in the nicotine.

4. just stop. I tried for so long and kept saying "this doesn't work and this doesn't and this doesn't" when the only thing was I didn't want to quit bad enough. if you can't quit, you probably just don't want to quit bad enough.

5. Trust me, I definitely want to quit. The longest I've ever been able to quit cold turkey was about 16 hours. :(

6. If you really wanted to quit you'd quit. It's nothing you want to hear, but it's the truth.

I lost 80lbs after I graduated HS. I always got irked when people asked me how I did it. Exercise and by trying to lose weight? lol. not magic.

Quit smoking cigs by not smoking anymore. If you "quit for 16 hours" you never quit. You're bigger than a cigarette and you're bigger than an addiction - people quit smoking every day cold turkey. If you can't quit, the problem is you not wanting to.

7. The biggest issue in quitting a non physically addictive substance is too find the times when you crave them most and find something else to do during those times.

For example I smoke at work all the time, anytime I want I can go out front and take a fifteen minute break and smoke. Work is a big issue for me and quitting.

When I drive I always want to light one up ALWAYS, so try and find something else to do when I am driving.

After I eat is another big one, I always want one after I eat so I am trying to figure something out for that.

After I blaze I want a cig but that is the easiest time for me to say no to cigs.

Everyone has there time and place they really crave them, the trick is to find something to take the cigarettes spot in those cravings.. I still go outside at work only I am not smoking I try and read a book instead, you know substitutions.

8. a couple of my friends quit using the e-cig

kid smoked a pack a day for 5 years

9. #9 Vinyard, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
    Hey man im on day 10 of quitting cigs. Its a GREAT feeling. After around 4 or 5 days you will realize how shitty those things really make you feel. The only method that truly works is cold turkey. Don't use nicotine replacement therapy, it prolongs the withdrawal process and will most likely have you back to smoking cigarettes in no time. Keep yourself educated with an online support group. I visited WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource every day for the first week anytime i had a strong craving to remind me why exactly im quitting. Trust me it's SO worth it, i feel like a whole new person after only 10 days and i am safe to say i am not going back. After you get the nicotine out of your system in 3 days its all about going through life experiences or whatever your triggers were without cigarettes and training your subconscious mind to not have urges to smoke cigarettes. Once you are informed of how the whole nicotine addiction works (and that site I showed you really was the key in helping me quit) you will not even want to be a smoker in no time. One other thing that is key is forming new, healthier habits. Good luck, and just remember you also have to truly WANT to quit. Stop romanticizing about cigarettes, there are way better things in life out there and they will be even way more enjoyable without smoking. Good luck.

P.S. Working out, drinking plenty of water, and eating healthy makes things a whole hell of a lot easier as well. Avoid caffeine as well.

10. Lots of exercise and a healthy diet worked for me. If its important to you, you'll quit. If its not, you'll make an excuse.

11. Don't expect the 'quit smoking aids' to do it all for you... Need to combine that with some willpower..

12. you seem like you really wanna quit, therefor you will.

13. Just man up and quit

Nobody is holding you down and forcing you to smoke.

Its not like fucking heroin where you're physically ill and bedridden while quitting. You just get in a pissy mood for a few days and then your done.

14. Drink coffee.

Also, isn't it easier to not ask the clerk for a pack? That's what I found. I also started hating how smoking cigarettes made me smell and feel. Nothing like that slight nausea and the realization you smell like a turd.

You smoke weed, by the way. That was always enough for me back in the day. Cigarettes were filler for the times I couldn't get high. That's how I started in the first place. I'm so glad to be done with it.

15. Agreed, just stop. You will have terrible cravings but you just have to realize that they will subside pretty soon and then you didn't have to drag out the process like a lot of people do.

I know one guy who tried to quit with nicotine gum. He definitely doesn't smoke anymore...but he told me he's been chewing the gum now for 2 years.

If you don't quit cold turkey you have a very high likelyhood of just replacing your cigarette addiction with something else.

16. [​IMG]

Still not convinced?

17. Light a cig, look at yourself in the mirror, and ask if thats who you want to be? And if you want to risk years off your life for that. When I wanted to quit, I smoked about a pack a day,then 15 cigs a day, 10.... 5.... and none. I slowly progressed to stop smoking them.

It worked for me, Im sure it would work for you too since you seem like you really want to quit smoking. I had a friend and when she got married she was a heavy smoker. So she told me that she lit a cig after her wedding while she was still in her wedding dress.

There was a mirror close by and she told me she looked at herself and said "this is not who I want to be" and that was her last cig ever.

Joke: An oragan doner and heavy smoker dies... What did they do with his lungs? They asphalted 2 miles worth of road. LOL

18. I'm a nurse so the scary pictures probably aren't going to work.