Need help please: 2 1/2 week old seedling with necrotic leaves

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by F3d, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Hi All,

This is my first try at this and I have a Holy Grail Kush seedling, under some 23 watt 6500 cfls, that is 2 1/2 weeks old, started in a mix of 50% starter mix, 30% perlite 10% earth worm castings and 10% composted steer manure. The plant's roots have been inoculated already as well.

All was fine until yesterday morning when I noticed what I think you guys refer to as necrosis. It starts from the bottom leaves and is coming up the plant fairly quickly.

So I used the rapid test kit to test the soil and it reads nitrogen surplus (darker actually) and potash depleted. I think I might have done something wrong...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Before you freak out, transplant into a bigger pot. Your plant is so young, it hasn't had time to really start feeding heavily. Trust me, the symptoms you're worried about happen to most MJ growers.

The rest of the plant (what I can see anyway) looks to be perfectly healthy. Once your plant is in it's new home, pay attention to the new emerging growth. As long as the new growth is green and healthy you'll be good to go. I'd pluck off the necrotic leaves as they'll fall off soon anyways.

It definitely needs to be in something bigger than a half filled Solo cup. Have you decided what sized pot and what type of a soil mix you'll be using? Let us know what your plans are and we'll see if we can help you along the way.

Welcome to GC,

Chunk

3. Thanks Chunck, for your advice and hospitality!

I have a batch of a half bale promix, 40% perlite, 20% steer manure / EWC and a couple shovel fulls of calcium carbonate thats been sitting since August 20th. I watered it but am not sure if I added enough water when I mixed it. It was moist, but I doubt any water would drip out if I squeezed a handful of it when it was mixed. It definitely won't now. Should I add more water? I was planning on hand feeding the plants some of the original Earth Juice series.

I was thinking I would transplant her into a gallon pot for now until she gets big enough to move outside, then transplant into a 5 or 10 gallon pot then. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Here is a pic of the whole plant. In the foreground, you'll notice that the top is just barely starting to brown at the tip. I have some hi-brix that contains 3% soluble potash. Do you think I should I use it or just relax?

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

4. I agree, but my temps are around the same right now and while its not optimal

5. Get it out of the Dixie cup so it's roots can do something; anything - its only half full; there's nothiing there - a few tablespoons of dirt won't grow a plant...

6. It looks like to me they are suffering from the poo flu. IDK why, but a mix like you mentioned would work great for seedlings outdoors, they do not consume as much indoors. Ditto with the larger pot, and maybe not so much nutrient to begin with those will turn into fine juveniles for you.IMHO, I'd slap em in a gallon pot with half starter mix and half recycled potting soil or something similar till they get a new foothold.