Need help picking a greenhouse.

Discussion in 'Greenhouses' started by ezmac22, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Hi guys, I need help picking out my first greenhouse. I will be growing for a medical patient so I want to make sure my plants will thrive in the greenhouse I choose. I'm going to have 10 plants going so I figure I will probably need around a 20 ft long x 10 ft wide greenhouse. I am looking to spend no more than about 2500$. If you guys could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. Buy used. Get a quonset, not a gothic... more, better interior clearance. Get a bigger house than you think you need. I wouldn't do less than 12' headroom. Are you going to cool it passively, or actively? Used greenhouse frames go for ~1.00 a square foot. Frame only. Standing frame you tear down and haul. Completed price should be less than 6.00 a sf. Plastic cannot be reused once applied.... Unless you are nuts. Double poly if helicopters are common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. What's the difference between passively cooling and actively? I'm new to greenhouses so I don't know much yet.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

4. A greenhouse is a heated and ventilated structure. Usually fans or other active systems cool the structure. A hoop house or cold frame is built without heat or electricity. They use roll up sides and end vents to cool the structure. Google hoophouse + construction or design to get some ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. You should draw your footprint with your plants in it. 12 wide means only 6 feet per plant going 2 wide. So lets say they grow 4 feet across (not that big) that only gives you a little over 2 feet to the wall from both plants and no walkway between them. Not a lot of room to work on them and not a lot of room for air circulation. Not to poop on your parade but I would hate for you to have people relying on you and have your crop come down with serious bud rot because you have too much in a small area. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just like masonjar420 said. You also need to know if it will snow in your area, if so your greenhouse needs to withstand some of the snow load. You might want to consider if you need electric for supplimental lighting to keep it in veg. Since you only need a 20'X10' greenhouse, search youtube for hightunnel DIY.