Need Help: PC Grow Box Checklist

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Swaggin'Dragon, Nov 13, 2014.

1. #1 Swaggin'Dragon, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    So I originally started with a hydroponics grow box in my closet...got those things to wee baby plants then the roots got annihilated by algae. I got quite discouraged thinking my thumb wasn't green enough. After taking about a year break, I'm ready to try again but this time with soil inside of a PC. I'm studying abroad and come back soon so I want to make sure I have the right idea so I don't blow money and time again.

I work for a pc scrapper so getting a big case should be no problem.

As for what I picked from reading numerous posts from several places:

\tSoil: FoxFarm FX14053 12-Quart Ocean Forest Organic Potting Soil 
    Perlite: Espoma PR8 8-Quart Organic Perlite

Nutes: Botanicare CNS17 Grow 3-1-2 Formula, 1-Quart

2x 120mm Fans (intake/exhaust): AC Infinity AI-MPF120A Quiet 120mm

I also have a few questions:

1) I plan on doing lowryder #2 grows using LST, is this strain good to work with? Also would it be too much if I were to do 2 plants in one long rectangle pot?  

2) I'm quite confused with what type of lighting to use for autofems. I'm thinking about doing 4x 23w CFLs. 3x2700k/1x6500k during veg and 1x2700k/3x6500k during flowering. I also plan on doing 18/6 light hours through the whole grow. Is this lighting setup <span>sufficient<span> enough? If I were to upgrade to more powerful CFLs like 85w would that be overkill?</span></span>

I appreciate any and all feedback! 

2. bump

I just need to be pointed in the right direction!

Any advice will help

3. Ide stick with 6400k for veg better blue/white spectrum, and 2700k for flower better orange yew red light.

4. Graphs from MH and HPS(respectively) bulb packaging

Attached Files:

5. I would rather you do a separate pot for each plant. Issues could be had with roots getting tangled/fighting for nutes. Your cfl's look good. Instead of doing 3:1 lights do all 4 blue spectrum lights for veg and when shifting to 12/12 start changing out the bulbs to the red spectrum 1 by 1 after a 1/2 a week - week into flowering.

MJ likes some blue light still in flowering.

Personally I do 24/0 for veg up until the last week before switching to 12/12 in which I do 20/4 or 18/6. No real reason to cut off a whole 6 hours of light when MJ plants don't really need a dark period in veg (highly debatable issue in the growing community though).

By doing 24/0 your also helping to keep the plants shorter in veritcal length but tighter in node spacing. In dark periods the plant likes to stretch to get closer to the light source. 

Just my 2 cents.

6. #6 Swaggin'Dragon, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Thanks both of you for the input :)

I'll be sure to follow that lighting schedule you recommended grimlock.

7. I would recommend getting a couple of Smart Pots to plant them in.  They're the flexible, fabric pots like these: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Pots-10-Gallon-Soft-Sided-Container/dp/B002KLNCM0/

They will better fit the shape of a square space so you can fill more soil into them than a normal pot.  

Other than that you should be good to go.  Maybe a ScroG mesh to help fill out the space and keep an even canopy.  You might want to invest in some earth magnets to hold your power strip and CFLs to the case and let you easily adjust for height.

Those pots seem very nice, I'll make sure those are the ones I use, I was kinda worried about fitting the right sized pot in there, but not anymore :)

I was thinking about doing a scrog and I'm pretty sure I'm going to do that method. I feel I would break the plant if I tried going with LST.  I'm thinking about going with dinafem white widow (autoflower) instead of the lowryder #2's. I'd rather focus on just one plant that yields higher rather than attempting two that yield not as much.

9. Very cool, I'm new to all this myself so it's a learning experience for me as well!

Interesting you chose the Dinafem White Widow auto--that's exactly what I ordered as well!  They haven't arrived yet, so I'm still waiting on those beautiful seeds, but my intention will be to fit 2 plants into my case so that I have a little more legroom in case I end up killing one!

Worse comes to worst I will take one out and throw it in my closet, but I think 2 plants will be fine, even if it means they're not allowed to grow as large.

10. Thats cool that you're going to be doing the same seed...you should make one of those grow journals, I'd love to follow it. 

What are the dimensions of your case?