Need help ordering lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Timshomegrown, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Ok so , I am wanting to make an online purchase , my only issue is is that I've never ordered products online

I would love to go Into the hydroponic store and buy some lights but I'm not prepared to pay with my balls and my first born , it's simply alot cheaper online

1000 Watt Grow Light Cool Tube Hood HID Kit

That is the light I'm wanting , does anyone see anything wrong with it ? Or the website itself . This is one of many products I would like to order and I don't want to get screwed for my money

Please share your thoughts

• Like Like x 1
  2. rip off from hell.. try amazon.com

3. #3 stonerpros, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    I wrote two guides for this
    here's my choosing grow lights guide
    and here's my LED buyers guide

In there I talk about how you should use a double ended fixture and bulb if you can, although they cost a little bit more. Personally I like to stick with LEDs, but that's my tastes, just much easier to deal with not to mention the cheaper electricity costs.

I don't see anything wrong with it per sé, maybe a bit overpriced, but I'd try and get one with more reviews, like a GAVITA, personally, if you want to do a HID. If you are considering going with LEDs, this 2 pack of Mars Hydro 600W lights about equal a GAVITA, but are cheaper. If you add a 300W LED it'll still be cheaper than the GAVITA, both in initial cost and electricity, and most definitely give a better yield. You might even want to just get 5 of the 300W LEDs so you can spread them out a bit more, which allows them to be closer to the plants.

If you do insist on sticking with HIDs, make sure the ballast has good reviews more than anything. That's the most costly and most important part of a HID setup.

4. Can't order from Amazon.com I'm Canadian and Amazon.ca is triple the price Amazon.com

5. I'm not insisting on hid I'm just trying to get the most yield I can get for 1000 watt's , I can't afford to run 1500 watt's or 2000 watt's , I live in Canada Ontario and we see currently one of the most expensive places in the world for hydro , up to 30 Cents a kilowatt hour

I've heard LEDs save power but how ? Is 1000 watt's of power not 1000 watt's of power ?

The other issue is money , can I get a good led setup for 300 or 400 bucks ? Something to match a 1000 Watt hid

• Like Like x 1
  6. that sucks bigtime

7. I have a question about leds if I got 2 Mars hydro 600 Watt , that's 1200 watt's , will this be cheaper to run then a 1000 Watt hid ? I'm a little Confused on how leds save energy costs is 1000 watt's not 1000 watt's regardless what pulls the power ? Also would the coverage area be better with 2 600 Watt Mars leds then a 1000 Watt hid thankyou for the help

8. #9 stonerpros, Oct 24, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Yeah LEDs are a bit confusing, you can check my LED Buyers guide that I linked above for more info on that, but what you want to pay attention to is actual power consumption. Many LED manufacturers don't even tell you actual power consumption or they misrepresent it, but fortunately Mars Hydro is an honest company.

A 1000W HID actually consumes ~1050W or even ~1200W if you have the right ballast with a 1150 setting. Compare that to a 600W Mars Hydro LED (linked above) that actually consume 278W each, but that 600W is roughly equivalent to 600W of HID. The baseline formula I use for equivalency is 2x Actual power consumption is the HID equivalency, so the 600W Mars Hydro light, which has 278W actual power consumption, is roughly equivalent to 556W of HID. For reference, the 300W Mars Hydro light has 132W actual power consumption, which is why I recommended 2x600W Mars Hydro and 1x300W Mars Hydro, or just 5x300W Mars Hydro to equal a 1000W HID that has a ballast with a 1150W setting.

The coverage with the two 600W lights would be better just because you can spread the lights out more, which is why I recommended possibly even buying 4x300W (528W total actual power consumption) instead because you could spread them out more, as well as put them a tad closer to your plants, and it's roughly the same price. Furthermore, the less LEDs you have stacked together, the less heat they individually experience, which helps increase LED lifespan/brightness/efficiency. Although it looks like you may have to pay more for shipping since you're ordering to Canada.

9. So your telling me if I get 4 300 Watt Mars leds I'm not being billed for 1200 watt's it only actually uses 528 watt's to run all 4 but I will get the equivalent of 1200 watt's

Just to be clear , plus my heat will be much less of a problem.

10. Because if that's the case I'll go to LEDs this will be my first actual grow that I go all in for a d if I can get the same result or better , with half the energy cost that sounds ideal

11. Yep exactly, maybe more like the equivalent of 1060W, but yeah around there. You wont know for sure unless you use a PAR meter, but it's close enough that I'd consider it equivalent to 1060W at least, probably closer to a 1200W equivalent.

12. also from Canada

also went LED

what size is your tent?

13. 5x5 sorry for late reply still learning my way around notifications

14. about 800w of LED matches a 1000w HPS fixture and more even coverage. Try a DIY kit or buy from a few like plc, timber, or cutter. all fair and reasonable priced. peace

15. consider 50w/ sf for best PPFD. COB leds you would place one every square foot. 4x4 = 16 sf = 16 COB , plus 4 drivers and 16 heat sinks. peace

16. yeah, if you're willing to go DIY you can get an even better LED light even cheaper if you use COBs, but you'll need to either do some learning or already have some electronics knowledge. Growmau5 breaks it down in this playlist