Need help on lighting.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by mukilteo47, Dec 23, 2008.

1. What is the best lighting for plants?
    Should I do 18/6 with a metal halide for the growth stage and then switch to the hps 12/12 during flowering? Or should I just put it under the hps through both of the stages?
    Whats the best lighting schedule for both stages?
    Thanks

2. You're going to find the answers to your questions depends on the personal preference of the grower. ;)
    Conventional wisdom is that MH is best for vegging and HPS is best for flowering.
    You could do that, or you could use HPS for the entire growth cycle...Or MH (not done nearly as much as HPS though, it seems).
    I've grown MH for Veg and HPS for flower, MH all the way through and HPS all the way through. Last few years, I've stuck with HPS all the way through.
    Cannabis is a C3 plant, meaning it needs no dark period during the vegetative stage. There is an eternal debate though about which is the "best". Again, personal preference.

Want the fastest growth? Do 24/0 lighting. Want to save on electricity bill or control heat? Go 18/6.
    I'm sure there will be others coming along that will have their own personal preference. Not about to get into that whole debate again though cause there is no "right" or "wrong" way. Just depends on what feels right for you and your growing needs.

As for flowering, 12/12 is the way to go, imo. Less light than that and you sacrifice yield.