need help leaves curling

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by springs23, May 28, 2011.

1. Could someone tell me why my leaves are curling on the sides downward. Its not the usual droop from under or over watering and the leaves look full and green but the sides of them are curling under as well with the new growth. any suggestions?

2. Pics please.

Good Growing and Happy Toking!

3. too much nutrients. use lots of water on your next watering. You have heavy salt deposits in your soil. extra water will flush it out. Use less plant food next time.

4. I think you need more info before making a diagnosis like that. Pics?

5. il get pics up tonight but im not giving them anything extra just miracle grow potting soil not the moisture control but the regular kind and i water them with distillled water mixed with superthrive about 3 to 4 drops per gallon

6. Start researching a new medium for your next round of plants, MG is not what plants crave. Plants crave Brawndo. It has electrolytes.

Seriously though, MG has hot spots. Some roots probably just reached a hot spot and now are being burned silly by nutrient toxicity. I can't be sure because you haven't provided any pictures or a whole lot of information... but the advice will help anyway because MG is good for that problem.

7. #7 ScooterMcgruder, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    definately over fertilized....MG is notorious for that....they look like they need more intense light too..

[​IMG]
    my latest at 6".

8. short of pulling them out of the soil they are in and putting them in another medium, I would try to flush your pots and see how the plants respond. Soak your pots and then continue soaking them until about a gallon of water has run through the drain holes. Then check your plants periodically. If they respond favorably, you had toxic soil. If that doesn't work, well, then you'd need advice from someone more knowledgeable than I. It could possibly be a deficiency in some other nutrient or trace element...but I doubt it and would have to do some reading before saying so. Let me know how it works out, man, and good luck.

9. Should i use a gallon of distilled by itself or should i add something to it and also you mean run one gallon throught a single plant?

10. I would just use pure water, nothing more. I would run one gallon through a single pot, unless you are in huge pots. Just use your judgment and make sure that plenty of water has run through the drainage holes.

11. Another thing - you may want to test the pH of the soil before you do anything. You can get some test strips at lowe's or home depot for about $12, and the info you'll get from these is pretty useful.

12. Thanx a ton bro i appreciate the help il let ya know how it goes

13. I've never used Miracle Grow, but I know all about the dangers and problems it causes. However, from every source I've heard, they tell you NOT to flush MG because of its time-released (aka water released) nutrient mix, so by flushing it you're going to be activating MORE nutrients... which is not what we're aiming for here. I would go for the transplant to another soil, one without any nutrients obviously.

14. He raises a good point. I think it's best if you get a new medium. Question though tokerman - if you flushed the hell out of the MG soil wouldn't all the nutes wash out eventually?

15. Key word there civprole: eventually!

MG is supposed to work for like 6 months or something like that, so I figure that the amount of water you would need would be pretty ridiculous! I'd just go ahead and transplant it to some Happy Frog or Fox Farms Ocean Forest, or pretty much anything without nutes.

16. The key to nutes is to use sparingly. Don't use MG at all. I would advise using straight coco or peat and using basic flower/veg nutes for beginners.

17. Eh, I've found coco choir far too fickle for my taste, plus it dries out so easy that you NEED to be on-top of it all the time. As for using straight peat? Peat is so full of nutrients it's impossible to use it by itself, it's nature's own Miracle Grow pretty much! Very nice in small amounts in a soil mix, but not straight.

I've found throughout the years that the best combo for beginners is to start out with either FFOF or Happy Frog soils, and to use the FF line of fertilizers. If anything I'd go with the HFrog as it already comes pre-mixed. Doesn't get any easier than that; short of having a fully grown cannabis plant just pop up in your driveway overnight! Hahahaha, man I wish that would happen!

In fact, that combo of soil and ferts is so easy to use that it's what I've used throughout most of my growing life, although now I'm moving towards 100% fully organic everything... but that's a different thread!

18. #18 springs23, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
    Which one of you is more experienced lol idk what to do. Does Wal Mart or Lowes sell anything i can use because they are the only thing close enough

19. I don't know what's available at Lowes or Walmart, but I know there's a good soil mix to be found at walmart, I believe I saw the name of it on one of Hasmouf's threads...

As for the nutrients, you can order them online from pretty much any hydroponic/grow sites, heck even amazon carries them! Just make sure that you get the grow big for soil instead of hydroponics.

As for "who's more experienced" I can't answer that for you as I don't know about SG or his methods, all I can tell you is that I only recommend things that I've done in the past with success or recommend things that other experienced growers have had success with.

EDIT: Here's Hashmouf's thread on the soil:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/201841-growing-budget-need-great-soil-check-out-$5-bag.html