Need help identifying nutrient issue

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Long White Cloud, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Hi there

Plant is in soil (generic all purpose)
    It is a clone about 2 and a half months old
    Outdoors
    Watered every 2 days with ph 6.4 - 6.7

The plant is healthy and growing well however I am getting some lower leaf yellowing and the odd leaf has a brown tip

I thought the yellowing was nitrogen deficiency so i fed it some blood and bone liquid fert NPK 8.3.6

Since then the yellowing has continued and the brown tips appeared.

I have some foliar feed which covers all trace elements but I'm reluctant to worsen the problem. So what I'd like to know is: is it a deficiency or toxicity?

Attached Files:

2. Sometimes a magnesium or phosphorus deficiency causes lower leaves to yellow ,
    That along with ph fluctuations,
    How do you regulate your ph

Also if you over feed nitrogen the tips will claw down like a talon of a eagle

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. I just use a few drops of ph down or up until it tests within that area. Should I be more consistent with the number?

4. That's an awesome looking plant anyway

5. Do you use a stick meter or drop test ?

6. Digital ph meter
    Last time I calibrated it, it was bang on. Got 4.01 exact as the buffer solution. That was about a month ago though

• Like Like x 1
  7. Myself i calibrate my meter monthly ,
    And i often double check my water and feed solutions with the drop tear to reassure it withing range ,

Now back to the ph range
    6.5 recommended for soil so if your meter is within range your readings should be ok .

Another thing that can cause yellowing of leaves is over watering
    It makes the leaves swell and can cause tips to brown from water pushing out

My suggestion is , let it dry out and if possible double check your meter

8. How much did you feed it

9. I
    I gave it one watering of the blood and bone fert, about 1 litre slightly below the instructed dose.

Overwatering could be a problem, it's been very hot here so I water it a lot. I will try letting it dry out

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you have only given feed one time
    Then yeah either ph or over watering
    If your meter is dialed in then maybe over watering ,

Also leaves yellow when the plants are hungry they will literally eat themselves , causing yellowing and browning heavily

So after it dries maybe feed ¼ recommended strength

Something people tend to forget
    Cannabis likes to get thirsty
    Not parched but a little thirst is good

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alright, I will space out my waterings more and get some more buffer solution on the way

Thanks for your input

• Like Like x 1
  12. If in soil do a slurry test. Take a large shot glass of soil. Dig down a little. Than put that into a Tupperware small container. Than put the equal amount of distilled water. Stir for 1 minute and than stick ur ph meter than ur ppm meter. This will show u what's going on! So if ppms are over 400 u just need water and microbes if u use them. Under 400 ppm feed

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  13. I've never heard of ppm, would you be willing to elaborate? Because it sounds like you are describing a consistent method to diagnose a deficiency. I am intrigued.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ppm will tell you if she's hungry or you've over fed , it requires you to use a TDS meter

15. Ppm is parts per million of salts. most nutes are salt based. So by using a EC meter, u can measure how ur ppm's are in ur feeds. Or when I slurry it tells me if I'm in the right pH zone so my plants can eat what I'm feeding them. The ppm's tell me if my plant needs feed or not. It's not going to tell u if ur having deficiencies. But say you do a slurry and you find your soil has 1200 ppm's. You would just want to water until they came down to under 400. Or say your feed your plants in the next day you do a slurry and your ppm's are 100. That means you're not giving your plants enough feed in your mixes you need to up that. Do you want your plants to stay in a zone of 300 to 500 ppm's. What I mean is you water feed today and you slurry tomorrow and if you're not between 300-500 you need to either feed or water if you get what I'm saying

• Like Like x 1
  16. So my last run I fed double feeds for 16 days before they were finally done eating like that