need help heat problems

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gottahaveit, Sep 19, 2010.

1. im havein heat probems and i would like some ideas on how to fix them or if its even going a be a problem.... i just set up my first room and its 15ft by 9ft, at the time being i have two 1000w Metal Halide on and two more hanging but cant turn them on because im already at between 84 & 87 F... i got a can-fan 75 with a 8in HO hanging from the celing venting into the rafters and a fresh air sorce thats probley 14in sq cut into the floor on the other side of the room.... the can fan should push out about 600-700 cfm and i can feel it pullin the cold air in through the floor but it just dosent seem like its doing the trick i need to get these other two lights on and i just have run out of ideas other than going and buyin a air cond witch id rather not do. any ideas on how to cool her down a lil bit would be awsome

Thanks
    Gottahaveit

2. Where r u blowing the hot air? It needs to be exhausted outside, it is good that you are bringing air in from outside though, that should help. The other thing is to use an oscillating fan to blow air between the top of the canopy and the lights, this should bring the temp down a little. Failing that you may need air cooled light shades, i'm going that way to get me through summer and they work a treat.

3. #3 gottahaveit, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2010
    I cut a hole into the closet ceiling and have the duct from the can-fan running up into the rafters their should be somewhere it would go up thier you would think... but idk maybe i should cut the hole bigger and climb up thier and take a peak... I was going to get those air cooled light reflectors but i ended up going over buget ya know.. i can see how they would be a HUGE help right now and in the future.. im just tryin to make it by the frist crop and then upgrade a cuple things.. o yea i got two oscillating fans blownin through the tops of my girls

4. Get a 12,000 BTU Portable AC and give that a try.

5. You are at mid-80s without the lights? Then you have no chance of lowering that without channeling in truly cooler air. You say you have cooler air coming in (through the floor?), but if that's the case then the room would be cooling down. Sounds to me more likely that the air being drawn in is already in the mid-80s, otherwise if it were entering the room cooler than that then why would the room be warmer?

Keep in mind that fans do not cool air, they only move air. They are used to cool by moving colder air in and exhausting warmer air out. But if you start with warm air then a fan won't cool it down.

Unless you can find a way to get truly cooler air into that space you will not cool it off. An a/c unit literally cools the air (by moving heat from one place to another, leaving behind a cold place). Also air-cooling your lights will keep them from adding much if any heat.

6. I would suggest taking a look in the area where you are exhausting your spent air if there is no place for the spent air to go it will likely seep back into the room only to be exhausted again. Think of it like blowing into a pop bottle the pop bottle is already full of air and there for you can not push more air into it if this is the case your fan will be working over time and moving very little air.... so i would check to see that the area you are exhausting your spent air to has a place for the spent air to go.