Need Help, Friend in Trouble

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by adderallic, May 2, 2009.

1. Hi,
    I've been extremely worried about my best friend lately and I don't know how to convince her that what she's doing is dangerous. (I know this is long, but the background info is necessary. Keep reading and you'll see why it's relevant to this site.) She's in a long-distance relationship with a very controlling, emotionally abusive guy, and he makes her call him every 20 minutes or so. She has to set alarms to do it or else he gets mad and says he can't trust her. He has been getting progressively worse since he last visited her in December, and so has she... she got unnecessary plastic surgery because he told her she had fat under her chin (she didn't, it was just skin and she looks exactly the same now), she tried to starve herself for 10 days on this detox diet where you only eat a concoction of lemon, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and laxatives. She almost fainted so she switched to NutriSystem, but she doesn't need to lose any weight, so she's always exhausted. She's naturally thin and she's gorgeous, whenever we meet anyone they always talk about her beauty. She's just doing it because her boyfriend told her she'd look like Gisele if she lost 7 pounds (idiotic, I know). She was anorexic and bulimic in middle school and high school; at one point she starved herself down to 90 pounds (she's 5'6"). She recovered, but I recently heard her throwing up again.
    The reason I'm posting this here is because she has a really dangerous drug habit that is being exacerbated by her issues with food. Her favorite drug is Xanax, and her favorite thing to do on Xanax is drink alcohol. Lots of it. I'm talking slamming shots at the bar for hours. I've been telling her even since I met her that that's one of the most dangerous combos out there, that she could stop breathing during the night and die. She won't listen, or she doesn't believe it will happen to her. She's started lying to me about when she has it, even though I can always tell she's on it from her face. Last night we went over to our friends house to play cards and she was the absolute worst I've ever seen her. She had taken 3 bars (6mg, and she lied to me about how much she took until she got too fucked up to remember her lie) and drank an entire bottle of wine by herself. She started to pass out standing up and I had to catch her, then she fell in my friend's shower and almost cracked her head open when she was trying to use the bathroom. Since she's barely eating anything it's making the Xanax and alcohol hit her harder, and I am scared shitless that I am going to lose my best friend. The only person she'll listen to her is boyfriend, and he's a major part of the problem because he cuts her down so much.
    Does anyone have any advice? Or any hard facts about combining alcohol with Xanax? I'm going to sit down and have a serious talk with her, because she blacks out every time she drinks on it (and most of the time when she doesn't, too), and any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy blazing

2. show her the post you just made.

3. write a letter to your friend and explain how you feel

in my opinion it's better than talking to her if she's in denial

4. Not a bad idea, I think I'll try it... but I was also wondering if anyone knew any hard and fast facts about this drug combination, or how many deaths it causes or what it does to your brain or anything.... i've been looking online but all I can find is "it's bad for you, avoid it", even on medical websites. I'm hoping that maybe hearing something she hasn't heard yet will shed some light on it for her in a new way. Thank you for your response, you have no idea how good it is to know that someone out there is listening.

5. Get her to smoke some weed. If she is fucked up enough on xanax, the weed will hit her harder, then she will get hungry. Honestly weed is going to make her hungry and hopfully she goes from trashing herself to recovering.

I am severly doubting my benzo use. Every time I end up just taking a week off work or school and just taking them all day. The problem is, they work by shutting down parts of your brain (that cause coordination, memory, inhibitions in general) when you are on benzos you don't think basically. People like this are alot easier to manipulate too. I remeber all too well, I would be on clonzepam and lorazepam and would be slurring like a madman, and I would never be able to tell how fucked up I was. That is what always scares me from continued use. I also become a perpetual theif and asshole on them, because again, I cannot control myself on them. Remeber that you arn't dealing with a rational person, alcohol exagerates those effects, but without the xanax, alcohol isn't that much of a problem (If she is starving herself, the calories in ethanol may be nessisary).

Also her boyfriend sounds like a problem, and it is possible that he is the reason she is on so many drugs (cant handle him sober, wants to please him so she starves herself). I remeber I faked being sick for a week, and would just make myself puke every once in a while to satisfy my parents, I am a rational person, and would never make myself puke on purpose, but benzos change shit, and if it wasn't for her boyfriend and benzos she would be back to the person you know.

6. She already does smoke weed! She smokes weed more than anyone I've ever met, including myself. The problem is that mixing the Xanax with alcohol is her favorite thing to do, and I don't understand it at all because it just makes her black out, and why would your goal be to black out? And her boyfriend is DEFINITELY a problem, but that's a whole different post altogether. Good luck to you, I'm glad you're smarter than my friend!

7. She sounds like shes up shit creek and you got her paddle. Honestly, if you care about your friend the best thing to do might not be the perfered thing to do. First, she needs to get this drug problem controlled, its really dangerous and yeah i would be scared for her to. I think rehab would be the last case senario, dont consider it untill nothing else works. You need to get her to realize what she is doing in a whole, all the negitive aspects of her behaviour at once, or else she could just dismiss the individual facts as nothing. ok the rest of the post will have no punctuation because filter key shit is being a bitch sorry fuck i will finnish it later if i can i dont get on the computer much maybe tomarrow or tonight

8. #8 damncrazylegs, May 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2009
    video tape her when shes really fucked up and then show her the tape as proof of how bad she gets. right now maybe she thinks shes still in control of herself when shes on it but when shes herself shell realize how fucked up it all is

oh, and when your gonna have her watch it. just say hey you should check out this video. its about an idiot whos completely wasted.

9. she doesnt have a problem, she just knows how to party dude. obviously you're just being a cockblock she WANTS to pass out and wake up with the brown eye stretched bigger than a 2 litter bottle of coke. then again who doesnt.