Need help firefox/internet explorer.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Jimbo Slice, Sep 1, 2010.

1. I have nowhere left to turn. I have no idea how i screwed my pc up like this but i did. It does not matter what key i hit while in firefox the find bar pops up at the bottom of the browser and all my typing goes there. And when i use internet explorer when i type in the address par i can type 2-3 characters before it starts typing at the beginning of the url. In internet explorer if i type anywhere other then in the address bar the find bar for it also pops up. And in both if i hit either CTRL or ALT (separately with no other keys) my browser immediately closes. I hope someone here has my answer.:confused:

2. In Firefox Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General tab, make sure that "search for text when I start typing" is unchecked. As far as I know, the find bar only pops up in IE if you have a plugin for it, which I'd check (if you have it).

For Internet Explorer, this sounds like your issue:

Microsoft Support - Text may appear in reverse order in Internet Explorer

That Ctrl/Alt issue is really weird, I'll have to look a bit more. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have your antivirus up to date and scanning, as well as doing a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

3. i tried that solution for firefox due to the fact it was the only answer i could ever find and it doesnt help. I just tried the Internet explorer one and it didnt help either. I have no idea what i did all i know was i was playing with the Ctrl/Alt/Function keys along with F1-F12.

4. I am in dire need of an answer.

5. try reinstalling mozilla, or download google chrome

6. Shit i wish i knew more shit about computers to help.:confused_2:

7. tried both of those to. After all of this happened i downloaded google chrome for the first time and it was the same as IE and firefox from the start. Thats why im positive its not a problem with the browsers themselves.

8. It doesn't matter what i search for i cant find an answer. Seems like just one big web of problems that cant be fixed.

9. Does this happen with any other apps e.g. Word or Notepad ? Does your keyboard function properly in all apps except browsers ? The only real answer (assuming its the browsers only) is to completely uninstall and reinstall the offending programs. This works 99% of the time.

Another possible answer if your keyboard driver (if you use a proprietary keyboard, it may require its own driver). Go to Device Mangler (manager), 'delete' or remove the keyboard, then reboot.

Finally,get another keyboard and try things out. Is your keyboard usb ? Are other USB devices working properly ? Are there any other symptoms whatsoever, i.e., is anything else happening that shouldn't be ?

One more question: what ver of windows are you using ?

10. Is scroll lock, num lock, or caps lock stuck? is your shift key stuck? are any of your keys stuck?

did you try plugging your keyboard into a different slot?

did you try using a different keyboard?

try turning off your computer. unplugging it. keep it unplugged for a few seconds(just the tower). plug your keyboard into a different slot. see what happens.

Is sticky keys enabled on your computer? sounds like something sticky keys might do...