Need Help Finding Some Lighting Adapters

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by alanray, Feb 27, 2009.

1. I remember reading somewhere and seeing photos of a regular power strip with some adapters plugged in that converted the plug into a light socket. I have found the Y adapter to turn 1 light socket into to, but I need the one that plugs into the power strip. Could anyone give me a brand or part number that I can look up. I went to home depot and looked around but couldn't see any and when I asked they had no idea what I was talking about. Thanks in advance.

2. There at depot, usually on the same shelves as the Y adapters. Sometimes you have to look / dig around its always a mess... homedept sucks... wish there was a Lowes by me

3. What aisle might I find the adapters on? I looked in the lighting and electric aisles. Maybe I just missed them. Home Depot sort of sucks compared to Lowes, I'll go there tomorrow and see if I can find them.

4. Go to the homedepot website, search "leviton", enter your zipcode on the first page and it will tell you if your local store carries them. IMHO they are a waste of money, when it can be done right for close to the same price, and be much more safe.:smoking:
    If you want a serious suggestion on how to wire CFL lighting in a box ,just ask, I will be happy to put you in the right direction.

5. Of course I am happy to hear any serious suggestions. I'm just looking to get something done quickly. The plants have done fine with the two 65w CFLs that we have for veg, but we are about ready to switch them over to flower and I want more light for around the sides.

6. Just a couple things. Use the 23-27 watt cfls, as they are the most efficient (more lumens/watt) I actually just saw a design in another cats thread that is perfect for budget minded people, and although it needs some changing of a bit of the design, the basic thought is there. Have a look at first grow box, first grow (or something titled like that) It is a conduit design that uses the conduit to support the lights as well as hide the wiring.
    Personally I like to use a white paneling and use round electrical boxes, 12-2 romex for wire, a plug end, and lampholders. You can see my mom room setup, a few pages backward into my thread, and pics of the wiring towards the beginning and middle when i changed the setup a bit. A link to my thread is in my Signature below.

7. Yeah, I learned about using the smaller 23-27w cfls after I had already purchased the two 65w ones with reflectors and all. After this grow is done with I will be sticking to a larger quantity of smaller bulbs. Thanks for the advice. I'm just worried about doing any sort of wiring, I don't want to burn the house down.

8. If you do plan to grow long term, or even do future grows, you may want to study up on wiring. Homedepot sells a really nice book called "wiring 123". You can really learn alot from it. As for safety, wiring it is the safest way to do it. Using the power strips with the adapters and such would actually be more of a fire risk.
    I admire your concern for safey, by you not wanting to take on a task that can be potentially dangerous, just that your concerns for safety may slighly be misdirected.

9. Thanks man, I appreciate the replies. I will definitely look into the wiring solution in the near future. Thanks for recommending that book, I noticed that they had some books on wiring when I was there today and thought "that would be a good investment." Right now we're just growing stealth in our closet because we don't really have any space. Hopefully before long we'll have a room dedicated to growing. Thanks again for the help.

10. No prob.
    I use a 3x3 footprint for my flowering, and a 3x3 for moms in a closet. I have 16 26wattcfls in my mom closet. Yup the book is a great investment.:smoking:

11. OMG U READ MY MIND i was looking for the same post. the person had them pluged straight into the powerstrip. i was going to post but i didnt know what to post haha

12. Glad I could help matt. The site isn't working for me right now but if you go to homedepot.com and search for "outlet to socket" you will find what you are looking for. The same company also makes a y-split for sockets so that you can get 12 sockets on a six outlet power strip.

13. I for sure know Fred Meyers has the socket adapters you're looking for (at least the ones i've been to). I would recommend checking out one of their stores if you have one nearby.