Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need Help Finding Right Medical Strain for Pain Relief

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by intothefuture, Mar 3, 2014.

1. A relative wants to try medical marijuana. The primary goal would be to relieve chronic pain, but it would also be helpful if the strain helped with insomnia, muscle cramps, and inflamation.  It would not be smoked.  The growing location would be an apartment.  It would be used to make tea.  Also, my relative wants to be able to produce his own seeds.  The strain needs to meet the following criteria:

-Easy to grow/low maitenance
    -Suitable for indoor growth
    -Does not grow too tall (100cm max)
    -High yield
    -High potency
    -High pain relief benefits
    -Not too many other effects

I did some preliminary research of my own and I made a list of the following strains:

-Romulan
    -Crimea Blue
    -Blue Dream
    -Skunk #1
    -Ice
    -Arctic Sun
    -Purple Cream
    -Ace of Spades
    -Indiana Bubblegun
    -AK47
    -11-G-13
    -Northern Lights

What strains would you recommend?

2. So THC doesn't help with pain correct?  The reasons I ask is that I saw there are some strains that are high in both THC and CBD (as opposed to other strains that are high CBD, low THC).  Should strains that are high in both be avoided?  Also, which specific strains would you recommend for the situation I outlined?

3. Riserva Privada seed company has a line of CBD strains that always kicked my ass when I bought them from a shop that grows and sells their seed line, One strain was Sour Brasi (Luca Brasi x Sour Diesel) easy learning curve and is a 60/40 Indica dominant hybrid 50 to 55 day flowering time. The other one was Lucy (LA CON x Luca Brasi) Its a little harder to grow but can be done for beginners 8-9 week flowering time its 100% indica. Both of these strains can be purchased on from multiple seed banks. I've seen tested numbers on THC in the 18-22% range and 8-14% CBD on both these strains. Pretty sure they use an all organic supersoil to grow all their bud in.

http://www.reservaprivadacolorado.com/cannabis-genetics/lucy This is the lucy 

http://www.reservaprivadacolorado.com/cannabis-genetics/sour-brasi Thats the Sour Brasi 

http://reviews.nuggetry.com/buds/luca-brasi-clinic-colfax-anticipation Thats the Luca Brasi which is the one of the parents from the crosses I provided earlier! 

It would help to know what condition you are seeking pain relief from.
    AK-47 and Northern lights are good strains. G-13 was BEAUTIFUL tasting and looking sativa for daytime use. Blueberry and Purple mixed strains are good also. Bubba Kush is amazing.  :smoking:

Nerve damage is the cause of the pain, from a physical injury

6. Man just get the leafly app. It will give you never ending info, support and strains.

#ass&grass

7. #11 ChadnChia, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
    My friend I have nerve damage also from a serious injury & from my experiences White Widow,Jack Herer,Pineapple Express has managed all my problems,Attitude Seeds carry all these I have never had a problem with them. Those strains listed takes care of depression too which came with my disability.Hope this helps friend.

8. Blue dream works for me

9. Blue Dream is an amazing bud for medical properties, Always help me with sleep deprivation/insomnia!

I have researched that one already.  However, it is listed as a clone only.  I would need something for my relative that can be grown from seeds.

11. You can buy seeds of blue dream my friend. Dont believe anyone saying you cant get a strain in clone/seed form. You can get any strain in both forms Alltitudeseedbank online is a good place to buy seeds from they have hundreds of choices and details on each strain. They do mix and match deals and freebies when you by from them. You can pay for insurance so If the seeds do get intercepted in the mail they will keep re sending you them until they have arrived

Thanks, I will keep this in mind then ordering stuff

13. These are good strains for nerve pain / pain relief:

Iced Grapefruit
    Medicine Man
    Blue Cheese
    White Widow

I'd also recommend making edibles for pain relief. Although everyone is different, for myself and many others, edibles work better for pain relief than smoking does.

For smoking purposes, I'd suggest sticking with strains that are indica dominant.

IME, with edibles it doesn't matter if the strain is indica or sativa dominant, you get relief from both. 

Best of luck to you!

No my relative would not be smoking, since it's smelly and not good for you that way.  He would start with making tea out of it, and perhaps moving on to the edibles afterwards.

15. Tea is actually not a great way to ingest your cannabis.  The cannabinoids you want are fat-soluble, not water-soluble.  Since he's concerned about smell, may I suggest making vegetable glycerin tinctures?  I haven't done it, but it appears easy, and doesn't involve any crazy messing around with solvents.  (Not saying it's crazy to do so, but it doesn't sound like that's the kind of thing he wants to be doing.)  I love my tinctures.