Need help diagnosing a def (+pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by FreeRadical, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Hello,

I have a couple of bloomers (1-st week, buds just beginning to show). Soil is:

72.5% organic potting soil
    25% perlite (size 4)
    2.5% worm castings that are made from compost (I'm actually gonna get a chemical analysis from the manufacturer emailed to me soon).

I put so little castings because I was worried about my ever-high-ish-and-constantly-creeping-up pH. I though it might be the EWCs causing it. Transplanted into 3 gall pots (from 1 gall) a week ago and moved into 12/12.

They have been inoculated with a good mycorrhizal product via watering while still in veg - Endorize, a mix of 3 Glomus strains, about 3 weeks ago. Got almost no feeding so far.... 1ml Algamic every other watering. 3 days ago I gave them 500 PPM of Epsom Salts. I use RO water for irrigation. Runoff pH last watering was 6.7 for one & 6.9 for the other. The latter was watered by me again today - pure RO water - and runoff pH was 6.7. However, the condition of the plant started deteriorating almost right away, which leads me to conclude that something is simply missing. The ferts I'm using are from BioBizz - BioBlow, BioGloom & Algamic :D

Here are the pics. The leaf tips were already hooking before, but after today's watering it got so much worse. 'A' is the plant I watered today, and 'B' is the other one, with milder symptoms.

FR>

Attached Files:

• A-1.JPG
      A-1.JPG
      File size:
      334.2 KB
      Views:
    • A-II.JPG
      A-II.JPG
      File size:
      183 KB
      Views:
    • B-I.JPG
      B-I.JPG
      File size:
      294.7 KB
      Views:
    • B-II.JPG
      B-II.JPG
      File size:
      271.5 KB
      Views:
  2. light or heat issues?

3. You mean too close to the lights or too hot?
    I have a heat problem. Hot as hell outside, got an AC inside but it is not too strong, so I'm guessing I'm a little hot. Can't fix the temp. Maybe raise the lights?

But watering with pure RO of the right pH made them worse, so I'm thinking it's nutes, at least part of it.

4. #4 Freakbro1, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011
    Hey buddy !!! Remember Im your first friend here.
    I will help u as much as humanly possible, ok ???

Lets get onto this...

First off - NEVER GIVE UP. That is rule number 1 :).

Second - your Ph is too high. I suggest bringing it right down to 6.3,
    give it a day and then see what happens.

Third, the plants look like they are Praying for Magnesium.
    This is an oldskool term that means exactly as its stated.
    The indicators of this is the raised up branches, leaves, blades and tips.
    (I cant see wether or not the tips are curled up or not. If they are up, then its what I stated
    above. If they are curled down, thats becuz of too much nitrogen. And there would also be
    a heat issue involved then.

What are your temps ???

In any case - start off with getting that Ph down.

We'll take it from there, cool ???

Get back to us bro.

Freak
    :smoke:

5. #5 FreeRadical, Jul 31, 2011
    Hey man, thanks. Appreciate it.

My AC is dying, it's HOT in my room even when the lights are off. I can't call a tech, unless I get rid of all my flowering plants and hide the rest somewhere. Don't know the exact temps, must be nudging 86 in the butt or thereabouts.

I gave them both 500 PPM ES on the 15th (while still in 1-galloners) and the same on the 27th, after the move to 3 gall pots - I started noticing the leaf discoloration typical of a Mag def. And when the hooking leaves problem started to appear (I'm looking at my feeding charts here), other than the N in the 2.5% EWC I mixed in the soil, they have been getting no feeding at all. Well, there was a 0.5 ml / litre BioBlow on the 20th, but I don't think that can cause N tox, right?

pH...... never did figure out what to do about the fuckin pH. After adding ferts to my water pH of water is already under 6.0. Then I add some pH down (no typos here). The GHE chemical pH kit (the most unreliable thing in the world) shows me that my irrigation water pH is between 4-5 (I prefer using aquarium pH testing kits, but they cannot measure below 6.0). The first pint of water I give each plant is pure RO, then I wait half an hour before watering with this very acidic solution, and still, my runoff is around 7.2 in my older plants (not in the above pics). The ones we're discussing now - runoff was actually just within range recently.

I guess I need to add an acidifying agent to my soil - peat.... not easy to get shit around here. No car. found a store that carries peat, but they only sell it in 80 gallon bags. For instance (if I could only put some wheels on the goddamn thing I could prolly drive it home). Given up on kelp meal too. Can't even find a kelp extract. Maybe use hydrochloric acid for pH down....

Some tips are curling down, some up. I watered one with pure RO (no ferts) of pH 6.6, runoff was 6.7, and the plant started looking like it had seen a ghost an hour after watering - the curling-hooking got worse and the leaves were getting pale. So I hit it with 1ml / L BioBlow, just before lights out, seemed to have improved a little when lights went back on again.

Yesterday I mixed some alfalfa guck with the top soil of a coupe of them before I watered. Figured it couldn't hurt.

FR>

6. Hi.

I dont know how you'll do it, but get the temps down. I know its hard.

IMO, even tho its a nice organic product - dont rely on Peat.
    And plus, It'll inconvenience u and cost u alot.

Use some plain white Vinegar to adjust the Ph.

Or, some Plain lemon or lime juice concentrate - no additives or sugar.

That will adjust the Ph, u know how to do that :).

After doing that, sit back and watch for a day - maybe 2.

AFTER that has been accomplished then we'll deal with any nute issues.
    There may be none man !!!

This could simply be an issue of heat and high Ph - believe it or not.

Good vibes your way bro :wave:.

Happy Sunday.

Freak

7. #7 FreeRadical, Jul 31, 2011
    Yo mon:smoke:

Needed to hear that.... as for my solution.... well, I's gots me an ancient AC unit my friend gave me YEARS ago. It was old back in '06. Old 'n rusty. More rust than metal, squirrels could easily nest inside it. But they don't make them the way they bla bla bla, you know. Actually, I've been expecting it to die years ago. It hasn't.

My apartment.... has a sliding door. So I slid it aside, put some props on the patio next to my 'threshold' and placed that old AC so that it's mostly outside my room, puffing cold air inward. The gap above it is currently concealed by a curtain :cool:

The temp has dropped a few degrees already. With 2 ACs running. My bloom box is in my living room, and it has a MASSIVE exhaust fan, I don't even dare run it at full power. So the average temp inside the box is almost the same as outside, which makes it easier for me to commiserate with them buggers when they get too hot....

As for using vinegar or lemon juice (acetic or citric acids, right?), for pH - it makes sense to me. Also HCL. Lemme run it by you:

I'll use hydrochloric acid as an example, compare it to the GHE mix of nitric & phosphoric acids.

When a plant uptakes a nutrient that is an anion (like the nitrogen (NO3-, I think) ion in nitric acid and the phosphorus in phosphoric acid) it releases a hydroxide ion (OH-), which raises pH. So, whilst you may be able to bring the pH down temporarily using those acids, in the long run you'll not be controlling your rising pH.

HCL contains chloride (CL-), which is also needed by the plant, but in much smaller quantities. So adding HCL to the water (and to the soil as a result) will not be contributing to this whole upward gait. I'm guessing it's the same with vinegar & lemon juice.

Am I making sense?

FR>

8. HAHAHAHA :cool:.

U are a very smart and and ingenious guy lol.

I bet u woulda helped the castawayz on Gilligans Island (Oldskoool, I know,
    but wonna the best shows ever made ) Haha. Fantastic brutha !!!

Iah (in all honesty) I woulda never thunk of that :rolleyes:.

Give it a go bro. ..............

But since it it is such a highly caustic Compound, please be careful.
    U dont want the bottoms of your pots to fallout hahaha :).

This is the kinda shit I luv - experimentation.

Remember alwayz..............Easy does it.

Freak

9. OK, that's it! I'm gonna DL and watch Gilligan's Island, been hearing about it so many times I just have to see it :smoke:

Experimentation is great, of course. Even with a small number of very precious subjects, 'cause if you don't, you will never evolve. It took me ages and a lot of hard work to stop getting paralyzed with panic every time I was not sure of what to do. Part of my condition.

I think I'll go get me some lemons soon, use the juice in my water. The HCL can wait.... hehe.

Blessed coolness, ah..... suddenly my plants are not drinking nearly as much as they used to. And they are already looking better. Still hooking but no longer cooking.

Will keep you posted :smoke:
    FR>

10. Thanx, u kept me.

Eddie VANHALEN's riffs are runninthru
    my head right now, and I HVAE TO say goodnite,from where I am

Peace, love and rocknfuckin roll.

Neil

11. Actually this is a grreat post.

Watchthe water...Weed loves to
    dry out in between waterings.

Freak

12. Evening,

OK, so you said to correct temp & pH. temp is OK now.
    pH of the plants in question was within range last time I measured runoff. What I'm trying to say that this has started happening, been happening while pH was OK.

So what now?

Thanks,
    FR>

13. Im kinda wonderin about the Epsom Salts thing.

And Im still thinkin of that Mg def thing.

ES will supply Mg.

I mean, they are healthy and the Ph and temp
    are now under control.

Imo, its worth a shot.

Anyone else have any ideas ???

Freak

14. Let the plants dry between watering, this looks like an over-watered plant with a few micro-element deficiencies caused by the pH and soggy soils.

PW

15. Could be, PW.

Freak

16. This is a stumper man.

Freak

17. I gave them a fert I 'borrowed' from my landlady - 1.5% chelated iron + NPK (unknown, but those numbers are worthless anyway) + a host of secondary & micro (all grouped together as 'micro').
    I've got some shredded alfalfa hay I kept moist for a week (smelly stuff) - mixed a handful into the top inch of the soil in all my pots. Not very effective, I'm guessing, but whatever. I gave one of them some ES yesterday, 'cause I think I'm still seeing Mag def.
    The plants in the pictures looked better after that. Got a pair of older plants - beginning of 4th week in bloom - that look quite pale. pH is already around 7.4, and even though I'm watering them with a very acidic solution (around 5.0) it seems to have no effect.
    In my experience pH does what it wants and you might as well not worry about it, because it's pointless.

18. Think I'll just trust The Force....

19. I think in general, though, the situation is not that dire. The plants inoculated with mycorrhiza look better than the older ones, and I think I'll just go by feel from here, gotta trust my intuition and RELAX.

Tonight I'll be re-potting, means I'll be mixing soil too. I intend to reuse some soil, after I flush it. Then I'll add 2 different types of EWC, some shredded alfalfa hay, some semi-humified stuff I collected from the roof of a bomb-shelter (detritus, deposited by a tree over several years), pine needles to keep that pH DOWN, and maybe I'll pee on it too (OK, just kidding about the last part), all the while wearing my wise smirk, and shit.

Diversity, right?
    Will report in my journal,
    Thanks to everybody for your input,
    FR>