Need Help Cleaning

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Nyterp25, Jul 20, 2012.

1. So here's the deal, I always keep my glass bong clean (rubbing alc + salt or ajax and alc) but had some water marks so decided to soak it in oxiclean and water over night. Long story short, when it dried there was a thick smoky, white film layer that has developed on the inside, I believe (where the water was filled to).

I have tried the following:

- rubbing alc + salt
    - ajax + rubbing alc
    - soaked in simple green overnight
    - soaked in distilled white vinegar for an hour.

Nothing has worked so far. Does anyone happen to know a solution to this? I assume it happened because I put in too much oxiclean and it didn't have a chance to dissolve in the water?

2. I'm going to forget my background with marijuana and merge over to the background in applied chemistry. To me, it sounds like you got some hard water stains.

To begin, fill the bong with distilled water, empty it, and then take a microfiber cloth and a clothes hanger and dry carefully. Next, take some lemons and make lemon juice. You can either lower the acidic concentration with water and utilize a squirt type bottle or just make sure you coat the problem areas with the juice. Rinse repeatedly and soak in simple green for a couple days. Once finished your piece will be clean, and use distilled water from now on and you shouldn't have such a difficult problem on your hands.

3. If that doesn't help, I'd go mad scientist on that bitch. Let me know homeboy I got fucking tricks up my sleeves.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shit you got some tricks forreal

5. Thanks buddy....it's currently soaking in some lemon juice (about 30 min) and then I'm gonna rinse with the distilled water and soak in the simple green. I'll let you know

6. And I will be here.

7. Lemon juice isn't much different in ph than vinegar . . . and if vinegar didn't work i doubt you'll have much luck with lemon.. .

Try ;

Formic acid

phosphoric acid

AS A LAST RESORT- HCL (hydro-chloric acid)

8. Those are much better choices but not too many people are comfortable with "chemicals" when they don't understand them in nature. I also value your opinion and agree that we both have points here, I've seen you post elsewhere and it was always informative, neutral, and in general in the top 1% of these idiotic posts.

9. Sorry to double, but also are you suggesting a lower pH to eat the sedimentary and organic elements in the tube?

10. Well yes and no- formic isn`t terribly strong but due to its nature it is more aggressive with its reaction and will agitate much finer - so based on how he described this stain- i would imagine its a pretty solid film all the way around.

Those kinds of stains tend to be pretty stubborn with vinegar and lemon juice (both of which are low enough in ph- but don`t agitate enough- so the film wont get penetrated very easily)

And to give some suggestions that DON`T involve `chemicals` add pixie stix to hot water and stir (citric and formic acid-)

phosphoric acid you can get at home depot in the paint department

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's still soaking but I can't see any difference. I was thinking the same as you Johnny as far as the lemon juice and vinegar.

I might have to try that phosphoric acid method. I'd imagine I would just soak it? For how long?

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I've read about people using coffee pot cleaners and other stuff they found at 99 cent store (LA's totally Awesome?). Maybe I'll try those before the "intense" chemicals

12. Yeah- thats what i thought sorry.

(because unless you can get some kind of abbrassive inside to scrub where the stain is- i don't thin vinegar or lemon is strong enough)

If you get phosphoric acid- it should only need to sit for an hour or so- (doesn't take long to agitate)

If you have to use some other kind of acid- let me know what kind and ill try and give you some more tips.

-also- if you run boiling water through the stain for a while BEFORE you add the acid- it should help with contact time

13. I'd try vinegar, sounds like you might have some calcium deposits as well.

14. You don't read well . . .- do you?

15. That pixie stick idea is ingenious.

16. Seriously! Gonna try the pixie sticks and if that doesn't work head to Home Depot and grab the phosphoric acid.

...Worst case scenario I have some candy around for the future

Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated!

17. With phos and pixie sticks- if after about an hour of it sitting (if it was hot that even better) you should start to see the stain begin to flake off like toilet paper-

Let me know what happens

18. Actually I read plenty well. I chose to ignore your recommendation as the difference in ph between vinegar and lemon juice is .4 and I had a different experience than what you suggested.

I was recommending he still try vinegar. When I encountered this issue I first tried lemon as well, it did not work. I then tried vinegar, and it worked. I do not know if this is because it was already broken down partially by the lemon juice or if the difference in ph actually mattered.

There is no need to be start jumping on someone for merely attempting to offer a different option. I was still attempting to assist, not like I came in here giving him absurd information or something.

19. Captain, I admire your glass collection and posts and also all the good vibes. The op did state he used vinegar all ready in te first post.

20. No- you came in hear saying dumb stuff because you STILL haven't read.

he USED vinegar FIRST!!!! and it did nothing!!

THEN someone suggested lemon juice- and i pointed out that they are almost EXACTLY the same- so if vinegar didn't work- WHY would lemon juice.

THEN- you popped up and said "vinegar"- ummm already BEEN tried and didn't do anything.

All of my suggestions were how to problem solve because vinegar didnt work-.

Read more-