Need help, clarification - Odor control

Discussion in 'Security' started by LT Patterson, Feb 2, 2012.

1. This may sound like a stupid question, but everything I've read seems to indicate that carbon scrubbers are only used in an enclosed setup, like a box or a tent. I'm doing a closet grow, but I removed the closet doors because it isn't very deep, so effectively I have 3 plants lined up against one side of the room. I have a window A/C in that room that is no longer used, and another window A/C on the other end of the apartment in the living room, and that's where the odor is leaking out from. I've been burning incense to compensate, but now its 8 weeks into flowering and the air blowing out of the A/C just smells like incense and weed. I've put car air fresheners across the filter when the leak began a few weeks ago and that worked great, but I had to replace them daily and I'm looking for something more permanent. ONA doesn't sound like it would be effective enough by itself. Any ideas?

2. Just get 450 cfm inline fan with 6" carbon filter place it on the middle of the room and it will recycle and clean the air . Smaller fan frobabbly not going to be effective . In the future get a tent . If you get a tent then you can go with the smallest filter they sell 4" with 150 cfm ( or so) inline fan .Good filters are CAN, PHRESH and PROFILTER . CAN fan require flange installation and it is heavy . PHRESH filter is light and good to go . PROFILTER can be used to suck or pull the air trough ( average filters are designed to only suck the air . So pro might last longer . I personally use PHRESH and as long as I keep negative pressure in my tent there is no odor at all , even if you standing next to it .

3. Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Since I don't know anything about this stuff, could you please just confirm that this fan is compatible with this filter, and that it would be effective for my situation?

Fan - Hydro House 6" Inline Fan

Filter - Phresh Intake Filter 6" X 12" 450 Cfm

Merci encore pour tout l'information mon ami :smoke:

4. That's what you need my man.

5. #5 LT Patterson, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2012
    You guys are awesome, I actually just added a sig to reflect that fact lol thanks dude. I guess I have one more question, when the lights come on I open the door to the rest of the apartment and stick a fan in the doorway on the floor to bring in some fresh cool air. Should I use this new fan similarly, or should I have it blowing air out of the room from the floor and allow the fresh air to enter naturally due to the negative pressure in the room? To me it doesn't sound like a good idea to bring fresh air in near the ceiling and force out stale air from the floor, but then again I really don't know much on the subject. Ideally I would mount it up on the wall by the door so it can act as a more proper exhaust fan but that's not really an option right now.

Edit: Also, will I have to purchase a pre-filter and/or flange for the above setup or is it good to go?

6. #6 RO76, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    PHRESH filters comes with prefilter and flange is already build in .All you need is "silver" moisture resistance tape ( get it at home depot) to secure filter with your fan . I think those filters in your link are fake . Try here www.greners.com you do not have to buy from this site just look at the pictures ( they sell real items , no fake crap ) you will see that PHRESH filters looks totally different . If you looking for quality inline fan try CAN or VORTEX . I use VORTEX and it is fits perfectly with PHRESH . They also have 10 year warranty .PHRESH also makes silencers , I bought couple of those few days ago and they make big difference in noise reduction . Just make sure to pay attention to the sticker on the silencer if you connect it by the wrong way it will only reduce noise just by little but when connected at the right end then noise will be ruduced significantly .But the funny thing is both ends from the inside are totally same , so I guess home made silencers will not be effective unless you know the secret . Good luck .

7. #7 LT Patterson, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    :eek: Well, I already purchased one, from a different site but same picture. Upon further research I found it here: Phresh Intake Filters - Phresh Filters

Apparently what I bought is advertised as "Phresh Intake Filters," and the ones you use are advertised simply as "Phresh Filters." So is there a significant difference between the 2? Did my ignorance get me totally screwed or is it usable?

Edit: Yeah I think I fucked myself :( please confirm so I know if I should attempt to cancel the order

8. Do not worry, just call them and cancel the order, not big deal (it takes few days to process the order anyway.) This is my first time seeing those filters and I do not know anything about those.... Do not take the risk ,go with something that already been tested.

9. Here is the video review of PHRESH so take a closer look at the appearance.They all looks the same but different sizes [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPswIDmeIR0"]Phresh Filter Carbon Charcoal Filter - Interview with the Creator - Fresh Filters Phresh Filters - YouTube[/ame]

10. Just my luck, apparently I placed the order with the best online company ever, because not only is it already in transit, it's already in another state! So I guess I'll be posting a review for it next week, cuz it would cost me like $20 to ship it back and restock it. I figured out where I went wrong, the damn things are advertised to remove odors in a couple different sites like ebay and others so I just assumed they did :facepalm:

11. Ok I have some good and bad news for you. The good news are - those unusually looking filters are made by PHRESH , but BUT they made for intake only . There is no carbon in the them , they are made of felt , so they will only filter dust particles but no odor ....

12. Sorry, I just saw your reply. My research gave me similar results, except that it's apparently defined by phresh as "nano carbon felt technology." Well, it came in today and I'm extremely pleased to announce that it works great. To test it I put it in the room and shut the door, came back in an hour and it smelled like nothing at all, maybe a slight artificial type smell. You can't even smell the plants until you're within about 2 ft of them. Also, these instructions came in the box, from Phresh themselves:

"Should you want to attach an inline fan directly to the Phresh Intake Filter, you will need to use a razor to trim back the paper collar, increasing the inside diameter of the collar. This should allow you to place an inline fan inside the collar. It will be a tight fit. Please understand this is not the intended use, but can be used this way. Securely attach fan to the filter with duct tape. Make sure to seal it completely to prevent air leakage."

It was 100% accurate, I couldn't fit it onto the fan until I trimmed it back with some scissors. So if anybody happens across this thread, these intake filters do help remove odors, but I'm sure Phresh's main line of filters does a better job. For my needs, however, this filter/fan is more than sufficient, because my place doesn't smell like anything anymore. Thanks again dude, your help has been much appreciated!

13. #13 RO76, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012
    Just keep $100 in reserve in case if you need to purchase CARBON filter . Plants produce strong odor when you put them in to flowering .Some strains smell more than the others . When I had my White widow and Jock horror flowering they start smelling strong during the middle of the grow . Now I have Aurora Indica and Master Kush and they started to give strong odor at the end of veg period .