Need help choosing between two cheap grow lights

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by akkariacher, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Hey guys, im doing my first grow and i dont have a lot of money so i was wondering which out of the two would be the better buy. I am not here to get criticism for buying cheap lights, i plan to buy around 4 lights for 10-12 plants. Its all i can afford atm. Anyway, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if these lights (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I...=21Y7JHFAYA5N4FH57TWC&dpPl=1&dpID=81sk-WvzfOL) are worth the extra 7 dollars over these lights () they seem the exact same so i am wondering why one is priced more than the other. If i should go eith the pricier ones why. Other than that they seem the exact same to me and so far im leaning towards the cheaper ones. Thanks for your guys help!

2. These only pull about 28 actual watts, you're not going to get much from these especially for 10 to 12 plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. What would you reccommend that is affordable?

4. What size is your grow space? If you're planning on doing a sea of green you can get by with less but if you're going to be be bringing these up as full size plants you're gonna need more light. Lights are the one thing you can't get by with too little. The most cost effective thing would be a couple 600w hps lamps probably. If you're sold on led look at mars hyrdo or viparspecrta. Make sure to look at actual watts not equivalent

5. My grow place is in an old horse stall so it is that size. Are normal lights better than led? I would prefer to save money on electricity but i also want good yields. I also plan to grow to full size

6. For good yields you're going to need good wattage. Most people around here talk about yield in grams per watt. The more watts the more weight you're going to produce in bud. You're gonna get the most bang for your buck with traditional hps lights and ballasts. You're gonna draw more power which means higher utilities and create more heat though. A horse stall is pretty big, look at the specs of the lights and look at their coverage.

Another option would be to do a trial run with fewer plants to start to keep your costs down. I'm growing a single plant right now and I'm using a 300w viparspecrta (89 dollars) which pulls in the neighborhood of 130 actual watts. This is good for about 2 feet of coverage. I wouldn't want anything less than that for my single plant in my growspace:

7. #7 akkariacher, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    So if i went with hps lights how many do you think id need to buy for 10-12 plants. And if i went with led how many viparspectra lights would i have to buy estimated?

8. So if i went with hps lights how many do you think id meed to buy for 10-12 lights. And if i went with led how many viparspectra lights would i have to buy estimated?

9. You dont get lights based on number of plants. You get it based on grow space size.

Get a measuring tape and measure the length and the width. Now take those 2 numbers and multiply them. Once you get that number thats your square footage.

Now take the square footage and multiply it by 50. This will be the amount of light watts you need for the space. Reccommend 50-75 watts per sqft.

Example.

My room is 5 ft x 7 ft = 35 sq ft
    35sqft x 50 watts = 1750 watts
    So my grow space needs a minimum of 1750 watts of lights

10. Ah i see, so my question now is if the wattage just needs to add up could i buy a bunch of led light bulbs frlm menards or something until i have the correct amount of wattage per square foot?

11. Man stop fucking around. You wanna grow for real then get serious and try reading some.

12. Jesus christ it was a question I was genuinely curious if it would work. Im not strong on money right now i'm just a girl that is very excited to grow. I want the best for my plants but at the same time I most comserve money too. I made this thread to find affordable options and ask questions because im new to this. Not so you could fucking bash me. I have done my research and the reason i asked that question is because the amount of light needed is based on wattage. It was a genuine question.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Technically yes, but you need to make sure you have the correct spectrum of light as well for veg and flowering (red/blue/IR etc).

14. If you're really trying to save a buck go with some cheaper led brands like mars or viparspectra. It's hard to try and pinch pennies while growing, and do it right at the same time. Growing is an expensive endeavor, so if you want to save money don't try and grow a bunch of plants.
    Of course it can be done still, but most likely the plants will grow scrawny.

Re-Start Grow #1

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think you're thinking to big. Just buy a couple mars hydro or viparspectra lights and grow 2-4 plants. Growing 10 is going to be a lot harder especially if you run into problems. Which I'm sure you will, we all do starting out. If you start small. It will give you time to save up for more and by time you get up to 10 plants. You will have the experience to go along with it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Exactly what packedup said...I'm a chic too and absolutely love growing my own meds and my patients love my stuff too. But in no way would I have been able to have the success I've had starting out with basically no budget. I have thousands wrapped up in my grow and still have more to spend as I keep upgrading to new better lighting and space. DO NOT try and grow 10 plants starting out...please listen to others if you want to be successful. Don't take everything so personal as you did with j&jfarms comment....he is right also but chose to say it in a different way. It cracks me up to see new people posting thinking they can get a massive crop like others on her but only have 100.00 to invest....it just isn't going to happen and you'll be disappointed. If you focus on growing 2 big plants at first and then go to 3 or 4 as you learn....you'll have much more success!!

I use T5s for veg and I have 2 600 watt air cooled hoods in my flowing room with 6 plants. 2 are 7 weeks in, 2 are 4 weeks in and 2 are 2 weeks in. I prefer a rotation rather than growing then all at the same stage...makes harvesting easier.

So again start small, read a lot and listen to others advice even if it isn't put to you nicely. Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Viperspectra 600watt x2. Works great, best for veg, buds are light and airie if you flower with them....i can put roughly 10 plants under 2 lights to veg. I clip some fan leaves to allow for better penetration.... i would recommend viperspectra, because i have used them for yrs and there good, dont kbow about the cheap ones....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2x 600watt vipers[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. If you straped for cash, save up for a 600 watt hps and use the bulbs that come with them