need help adjusting soil ph

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by VapedMyFaceOff, Oct 18, 2011.

1. What's good fellow growers? I've got 9 female plants, five weeks old and ready to flower. Planted in fox farms ocean forest soil. Started canoeing on me about two weeks ago. At first I thought I was overwatering. Backed off the water and the problem persisted. Just flushed the worst looking one with ph7 water, but the runoff came out at 5. Not sure if this is the cause of the canoe leaves, but am sure it needs corrected. Was thinking hydrated lime to raise ph back up to 6.5-7. I know it needs to be brought up gradually, but not sure of rates to apply. Or is there something better to use to get my ph back up. I ph the nutes and water before feeding to 6.5-7 but somehow it got way outta whack. Seems like growth slowed to a crawl as well as the canoeing. Would greatly appreciate any help to get them fixed up and ready to flower.

I am using general organics nutes, growing under a 1000 MH, and strain is random bagseed. Temps stay around 68-74, and I'm still on 18/6 lighting schedule. Will try to attach a pic.
    canoe.jpg

2. You may need to ph your water 7.5-8.0 to get a 6.5 runoff. I would be careful with hydrated lime.
    Dolomite or,limestone is safer. Before you plant next time mix/blend about 2 tbls per gallon into soil if needed.

You could probably top dress by scratching a tbls into the surface of the soil and water. Add more if needed.
    Best to put a sample of soil in a cup and experiment with the runoff before doing the deed for good...
    Most growers use a solution of PH up or,ph down to adjust.

Your plants do have something going on and if you get your PH under control the plants will probably recover in a week or,so....

3. I don't trust retuned water's ph as accurately reflecting the bioshpere as a whole, and regarding that super green-assed growth looks like the ph is obviously above 6.5 in some spots of the container, or the plant would be in nitrogen def by now.

You are over feeding your plant Nitrogen. That's nitrogen clawing. Cut down on the nutes, or cut some of the N out of it...probably easier to just use less of an addition rate.

Like cola said, be careful of 'fixing' soil with the lime, it's permenant.

4. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm just going to ph the water a little higher and flush again next watering, lay off the nutes until flowering, and hopefully they'll sort themselves out. I've been feeding 4-3-3 veg nutes, guess the stuff in the fox farms soil plus the liquid nutes was just too much N. Think i'll stay away from the lime for the time being and see how she goes. Thanks again.:smoke: