Need grow lighting set-up

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dom12, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hey everyone, completely new to this so bare with me... I'm going to ATTEMPT to grow some weed soon but have to really research into this and not jump right in so I can fail. So first, I need to build my grow set-up. I literally have no knowledge on how many lights I should put, what type/wattage or even how I'm going to wire them...

I'm probably going to be growing in a storage container that's about (lwh) 29.5x19x16.5 inches... Will post a picture if needed.

Any help is appreciated, once again I'm a noob at this but learn really quick when I'm learning about something i love (weed) so thanks again :smoke:

2. What kind of budget are you working with?

3. To spend on my lighting? Well I'm only going to try to grow 2 plants at a time if I even have enough room for that, so maybe 60-75$? Really got no idea about how much I should be spending haha

4. The answer is as much as you can spend comfortably. At that price range, I would suggest you look into some of the inventive rigs some of the other blades use for CFLs.

5. CFLs mate, its cheap/Easy good for beginners.

6. The more you DIY, the more lighting you can get for your buck. I built a 400w CFL array with 16 bulbs for around that price. If you buy a florescent light, you can expect about half the wattage for the same money.

Since CFL's give about half the yield of HID's to begin with, and not building your own cuts that in half again... you get the idea.

I would take that money and look for a refurbished, low wattage HID. You can even get (2) 70w HPS lights at Home Depot for $80, (or the side of some random building for free) there's a thread in the DIY section about them.

7. Um, what?

Anyways, don't blow all of your budget on a light. Even a CFL rig needs a little circulation.

8. Yeah I'm a little short on cash but how much would it cost for me to rig up a display that would support just a single plant? I'm thinking of just getting two power strips (the things with like 4 outlets into one little thing) and just putting 3 lights on each? How would that work out? What lights would I have to ask for if I just want to stick em in outlets real quick?

9. For one plant, get three of the Y-splitters, four CFLs, and one drop light. That's a cheap light for one.