Need expert advice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SoloG97, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Here is my plant it's growth was stunted so I put it in new soil.. it's recovering nicely.. I want to begin LST and to top it now. It's on it's like 5th node. Can someone please tell me where my best option to top it and which side should I bend it to ?? Thank you!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Looking good man, and you can bend which ever way you want, just makeep sure the side you bend is getting maximum light exposure. Wait till you have 2 more leafs sets, then cut to the third node. Should be in 6-7 days.

3. I can top it at the same time I lst it??

4. if you want to, absolutely, i usually wait a bit though. heres a shot of an animal cookies x god bud i have going, i topped at the fourth leaf set, and ill be doing some LST once the internodal growth begins to take off enough for me to do so. (this cross has naturally high node spacing thanks to the animal cookies in it, was THE clone only cut :D )
    290073852-KIMG0030.jpg

For my particular method i never LST the main stem, there is no real reason to for me. i just start to LST a bit after the new tops develop, and eventually get into some super cropping. and 6 months later i end up with something about like this
    290070340-KIMG0023.jpg
    290071606-KIMG0025.jpg 290071084-KIMG0024.jpg

Messy looking from underneath, but it gets the job done. as long as your plant is HEALTHY AND IN VEG with time to recover before flower, you really have nothing to fear over damaging a plant. It will recover. you can even see some older yellowing off leaves on this one where i left it with nothing but RO water and light for a month to slow its growth off while i finished a couple other flowering plants to make room for it. popped the PPM back up, and a week later shes back in full growth.

I probably topped that big one a dozen times, just being careful to closely consider every branch i applied the method to. you dont want to top anything below the top couple inches of the plant's canopy.....EVER

• Like Like x 3
  5. There aren't any side branches yet so if you top, there won't be anything left to LST. Before you do anything be sure you fully understand why you're doing it and what you're trying to accomplish by doing it. I don't really see any need to top it just yet but if you do want to you can just pinch out the very tip. This will stop the growth of the main stem and will encourage the side branches to grow faster. Or you could bend the main stem over and that will also encourage side branches but its probably a bit early to do that since the plant is only a few inches tall

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wow man. U vegged that for 6 months? It looks great. My problem with this plant before moving it into FF soil it just stopped growing. Maybe cause my ph was at 8.0 and made nute block.. but this plant here is over a month old. I just been riding with it... hopefully everything works out with it. I been debating on throwing it out and just going with my other 2 seedlings i popped.. i just want atleast 4 main colas growing up because of space and lighting.. i appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

7. Ok this may sound like a dumb question but how will i know when there are side branches? And i just mainly want to get 4 to 6 main colas because of space. With 4 plants in a 2×4×5 and a 400 watt cool tube MH.

8. And how did you get those branches toward the bottom to split like that?? They grow so far up to the top of the canopy and they are thick branches...

9. I would start the LST now, it's low stress so it's not gonna slow anything down. And in about a week when you get to your 5th node, take it down to the third, some do the 4th. Depending on your height restrictions if you want it shorter or taller.

10. thats from topping, look at the first pic i sent, thats a plant topped about 5 days ago, see the two shoots between the large fan leaves up top? those are two new shoots replace the main stem i snipped. they grow where the fan leaves attatch to the main stem. (you can see a couple more down lower where the fan leaves attatch to the stem) that plant is about 4 weeks old. in a little over a week ill be topping those two shoots and tying them down to let the lower growth tops catch up to the two up top. once that happens, EVERYTHING gets topped again. doubling my top count. at that point i just super cropped all the growth down horizontally and tied it off so ONLY the tips of the branches at the end curved back up, letting ALL the newly forming tops along the now high branch count to grow into their own colas. all even underneath the canopy. Its a lot easier than it sounds, as all this work took place over many months

and i half assed it, i could have replaced the super cropping with a screen. and same goes for all the nylon yard i used to tie her down (does rot when it gets wet) If i was on top of my game i could have easily had this canopy a for or so shorter than the plant is atm

11. You will know when there are side branches when you see them, they will branch out from the sides of the main stem.

To get 6 branches I would do this...

Top it now at the red horizontal line at the top. Then at some point you will notice side branches growing from each node, where the leaf petiol meets the main stem. Keep the top 3 pairs and cut off the bottom one or two where you see the vertical lines, as these usually grow less vigorously

[​IMG]

If the new leaders are growing unevenly, you can cut off the shorter ones and top the taller ones down to the next pair if nodes. This splits the leader in yo two thus slowing the height growth a bit and evening everything out

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hmm. Neat. I just topped the top of mine then 2 weeks later topped again but I tied it down so it made a T then I let it grow another 2 weeks then supercropped it from 18 inches back down to prob 10. Resilient plants. ( buddy topped on an auto flower and that recovery time screwed him ) super cropping made all the smaller growth explode and are the same size as the main branches

13. But I would say mine was roughly the same height when I topped. Not much bigger

14. Damn.. i greatly appreciate you taking the time to do that, i am going to try it... my thing is which confuses me is the side branches when i bend the plant over those side branches will grow up toward the light and will these branches produce any buds?? And the branches on each side will grow up toward the light in this case it will be 6 plus the 2 that grows from me topping the plant?? I always assumed that the buds would only form off the main stem??? Thanks again man that was very insightful!

• Like Like x 1
  15. If you top the way I showed in the picture, you won't need to bend the plant over. It leaves 3 pairs of nodes. A branch will grow from each node. The top pair of nodes is part of the 3 pairs

Each branch will grow up as normal and produce a cola of bud

16. A branch will grow from each node and eventually look something like this. The leaves have dropped off mine because not much light gets down under there now

[​IMG]

17. So i think i did this right... what u think so far? its been about 3 days..

Attached Files:

18. Perfect mate, you can already see the 6 side branches coming through. Nice job

19. Should i cut the fan leafs off?? Or just let it do its thing. I feel like the bottom side branches arent getting enough light...

20. Those fan leaves are feeding the growth of the branches so definitely don't cut them off

• Like Like x 1