Need design advice on 8k setup!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TheActivity, Dec 31, 2012.

1. His setup is VERY similar to mine, and his goals are identicial, which is why I'm so curious. Can you introduce me?! :D

Of course, my operation is much smaller, but I'm growing 24 plants in a 4 x 4 space (goal yield is about 1-1/2 lbs). The local laws limit me to 45 plants total, so in order to get a bigger yield I need to get more from each plant.

I believe a similar system to med man's could be built using NFT hydroponics for around the same cost but use less water, but I'm still trying to figure out the where the sweet spot when comparing grow time vs yield and quality. Obviously larger plants take longer to grow, but they also yield more. Would growing HUGE plants over 4-6 months give me a much larger yield than growing 0-Day Veg SOG buds in two 2 month cycles? I'm pretty sure it would. Would the quality be the same? I kind of doubt it - larger yields have a much greater quality variance across the crop than smaller SOG type clones, but then again large scale SOG grows are probably more work than just growing bigger plants. I imagine there's probably a sweet spot in there for each strain where grow time, yield, and quality are all maximized.

2. well if your approved by health canada, you can reach him no problem.
    you can have the same yield with small plan big buds sog. but like you said, you need the right genetic that can grow big buds fast, and be small when vegging like 2 to 5 days only then going to flowering that the way you should go with small plan bid buds, 2 to 5 days veg then straight to bloom.
    but you still need the right genetic like s.a.g.e sativa afghani genetic equilibrum that can do really well for a 2 days veg then straight to bloom , with about 90 plants and about 7x 600w you can yield something realllly good,,, do that every 2 month and 1 week,, its about the same as growing big plan vegging them 2 to 3 month then flower, make the calcul.
    its about the same
    but you canot do 2 days veg then straight to flower with a strain like kush that is not trained,,, you will need something that can do the trick....i would like to show some picture but its all about secutiry... youno..

3. I'm in the USA, doing legal MMJ. 45 plants is my max and I want to reserve 5 for mothers. It's possible to do more in the future as the laws are changing, but my next grow will be 40 plants under 2 x 1000W. I do prefer shorter cycles but yield and quality are more important. I've got an ebb & flow tray for the first 24 and was thinking of adding another setup of 16 in buckets or NFT, but I suppose I could build one big NFT for all 40 and use one big res also. With this kind of setup, what would you recommend for a strain and grow method to maximize yield and quality?

4. well its pretty hard to recommand a kind because all people is different, i mean you have to choose your kind of weed because there is so much. and now to really find a seed that is not a auto flower seed, and to find reall good seed come harder. i mean companies breeder make there own seed make them with resistance,cycle, etc etc there is too many variations, and when your going to make clone of them them your gonna have some hydrid of those mother that will have every genetic of the mother, every aspect, if the seed plants was trainer to the cold, to the insect, everything, then your clone will have better habitily to recover from pest and cold and everything.
    so i would reccommand to chose 3-4 kind of seed, not auto-flower,
    Grow them, take 1 clone from each, and grow the clone.
    See what happen there, witch kind is growing faster and ( 1 thing here is important what you want for a short sog veg time and straight to flower is you want your plants looks like a big V when growing i mean 1 left branche, 1 right branche and 1 big middle,like that you can have really good yield )
    - and dont forgot to have a healty mother plants, that the key,, and if you want sog real fast, clones is the key, healty clones,
    - leave enough of leafes on your clone so he can take light way faster when you put him in the 2-5 days veg then flower,
    worth it

5. I'm still not sure if SOG is really the right method for me - I think larger plants with a typical 12 week cycle with lots of room to grow is going to maximize the yield, almost no matter what strain I choose, right? What I'm really getting at here is I believe the key to maximizing the yield is basically giving the roots a lot of space to form a large root ball, flood it with lots of water and space them far enough apart so they can really spread out naturally. SOG and SCROG and similar methods require quite a bit of trimming and training and what not, whereas a simple ebb and flow where I just let them grow how they please would be much simpler to maintain, especially once I get up to 40 plants or more. Do you agree?

6. oh well, yeah it matter, some strain yield really low, but good taste and looking.
    if you plan on groing AK-47 or some n-39 genetic, then your going to have a big yield but taste is just normal,,, no special taste on n-39 genetic, n-39 is n-39 so...
    just choose a good strain that yeild good, and taste good for you.
    i will also say that trimming plants is secondary, if you have a very very very healtlhy plants,,, then your not suppose to remove leaf from her. only if they leaf is yellow or it have some burn on it, wtv.
    a healty leaf take lot of sun, so just leave them there, the more you have leafes, the more your plan is taking light, some poeple like to remove some big leaf caus the one under those can grow faster, but its still some training method, its up to you youno.
    with mine, i dont remove any leafes,,, just the one at bottom that are too close of the hydroton.
    but yes i kinda agree with you

7. When I designed my system I was thinking of more of a SOG/SCROG type grow, but as I've learned more I've realized that I'm just not going to get the same yield than if I go with bigger plants and more veg time. If I was growing from seed, perhaps I could choose a strain that would give me a really large yield (I'll look into that), but right now I'm just using clones that were locally available (White Rhino and Sweet Island Skunk). I went large enough, I think, that I can run sort of a "standard" 12 week grow, but due to the density a lot of leaves are already getting blocked out (see photo). I'd like to just let them grow as they please, I'm just worried they are too tightly packed and some additional pruning would help them out quite a bit before going into flower... I'm probably going to stop veg at 3 weeks (3 more days).

Attached Files:

8. nice!!
    they looks very good, they are pack a little bit, but its very alright i think, this king looks a good kind for cloning and sog style, if i look at the leafes, looks like they are not so big and looks like to develoop higher and large, pretty sure with this kind you can do something really goood man
    keep the good work

( this strain looks actually like mine lol,but i wish i knew what is the kind, i will probably post some pic soon, im just worried about security lol...

9. Ok so Im pretty set on nft. Another question, I plan on suspending netpots into the nft channels. I am going to germinate in rapid rooters (since thats what I have experience in) then when I put the rr in netpots where do I go from there? The roots wont be long enough to reach the bottom of the channel. Can I put the pots in an aero cloner to develope the roots??? I dont want to set up drip lines so I need some other way to elongate the roots before they go in the channel. Any ideas??

10. #30 DT4, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013

I bought clones that came in Rapid Rooter plugs and they already had pretty decent roots sticking out. After transplanting into the netpots I had some where the roots weren't long enough to hit the water so I just hand watered for about a week or so. Keep in mind my system is ebb & flow, but works on the same principle as NFT. I'd be curious to hear other solutions though, that's a good question...