Need better lights

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by LosCakes, Jun 1, 2007.

1. I've been using a 40 watt 2 tube fluro for my first bagseed grow and I don't think it is good enough. I'd like to get a metal halide fixture as they tend to be cheaper but HPS is also desirable. I'm a bit confused about the wiring. In another thread a guy said he got a fixture on ebay for $40 shipped and the only thing I can find remotely cheap don't seem to be complete. What would it take to get something like this up and running? Can you recommend another option $100 or less?

I'm growing in an apartment so I can't have huge expensive fixtures.
    I apologize if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything about this kind of ballast.

Thanks ahead of time.

2. If your strapped for cash and dont mind doing all the wiring yourself, then you can go to prolingting.com and purchase a replacement ballast 400w MH for $70 and a cheap 5000K bulb for $20 + shipping, socket for $10. They are a good company.

3. I'd prolly be better off just buying the whole fixture from ebay as it's $110 and comes complete with a reflector and all. This is a really good site tho.

Thanks.

4. Get 6 42 Watt CFls ($10. U.S. ea @ Home Depot, Lowes, etc) and get 6 mogul base sockets ($1.29 U.S ea.) Make a fixture (Household items, electrical tape, coke cans for reflectors. Works GREAT.