Need advice with light

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by MyFirstGrow, Jan 3, 2011.

1. #1 MyFirstGrow, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    ok, i grew outdoors last year and caught the addiction lol, but my outdoor plant wasn't very good, it got me 3 ounces but my area doesn't get enough sunlight to grow quality buds, so what im planning on doing is turning my closet into a grow room, it's 4' x 2' x 8'. I only plan to grow 1-2 plants at a time all for personal use, would a 150W HPS work? I'm trying to stay around $60-$70 i found this one

High Pressure Sodium Ballast Kits

but was wondering if anyone could recommend a better or cheaper one. ordering a kit and doing it yourself seems to be the cheapest way to go, but if i can get a pre-configured fixture I would prefer to do that. I already have most of the stuff for everything else (cooling, housing, etc..) so the $60-$70 limit is mainly for a ballast, igniter, capacitor, bulb and socket. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. My personal noob opinion is that your space is too big for 150w. If you were using a 150 you should probably not use the whole closet. Again this comes from my very limited knowledge on growing.

In reguards to the actual light. If you go with the 150w, HTG supply sells a complete set-up for 69.99. Thats the ballast and reflector and bulb with cord and all that jazz.

HTG Supply - HTGSupply 150 watt High Pressure Sodium Grow Light

See for yourself! depending on where youre shipping to will determine the final price. But you said 70 dollars so i figure you wouldnt mind shelling out a few extra bucks for something that you wont have to build, and comes from a reliable source. I actually have one of these lights. Havent fired it up yet, but i have the 400w with the cooltube from them and that works great!

Hope this helps!

Maybe someone with more experice will come by and have a better answer for you

Cheers

3. Thanks for your reply and yes, that's the setup I have been looking at and leaning towards getting, and if what it says on the website is to be believed, it would be perfect for my closet because it says for garden's up to 9 square feet and my closet is 8 square feet.

4. youKnow, since you tried growing outdoors, when you growing indoor, at the middle of your flowering, take a few outside and leave till harvest,

watch the difference,
    iknow its off subject but, try it'

5. if you scrog 2 plants in a 2x2' screen (one sq ft each) then you could effectively use a single 150w about 18" above the screen. you could do 4 plants under 2 screens and easily could get 1-2oz per plant. weaving and training techniques along with topping or fimming will get the job done rather easily. grasscity has all this info.

6. buy 2 duel ballast hid kits, so you can have metal halide while vegging and hps while flowering. id say for 4+ plants use either 2 150w duel ballast kits or one 400w duel ballast kit. either will work.

7. I think you should try [FONT=&quot]led grow lights for indoor gardening.These lights produce less heat.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]led grow lights are lighter in weight and this is incredibly useful. [/FONT]

8. Leds are way out of his price range...

I'd say go like 250 watt. It'll definitely pay off in the end.