Need advice on my first indoor grow op

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OctalBacchus, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Alright so I've been wanting to grow for a long time, but I always dismissed the idea because I still live with my parents and obviously they wouldn't be too happy to find me growing marijuana in the house. A couple days ago I found a secret door in the ceiling of my closet that leads that leads into a sizable attic room that I'm pretty certain my parents have no idea exists. The perfect spot to grow as long as I do it right

I've been researching how to grow for years so I know the basics, but nothing compares to real life experience, that's why I'm posting this.

I live in Alaska and since the attic isn't insulated or really even completely sealed, heat is going to be an issue. I was thinking I could just find one of those heaters they use like in the entryways of Costco in the winter to keep people warm. I might have a couple heaters in the basement I could use, but I also want to be as stealthy as possible, my parents might notice the heaters missing. What would be the best way to deal with that?

Right now, I'm looking at starting with an autoflowering northern lights blueberry cross strains from worldwide marijuana seeds. It would be dank, and easy to grow.

I'm starting with just two plants, I'm looking at buying the Sun System 150w grow light fixture from hydroponics-garden.com Is that a good light for just two plants? About how far away should I place the light?

The only other problem is the smell. The attic being so removed from the rest of the house and the fact that it's practically outside and there's a foot of insulation between the grow room and the second floor, I'm hoping this wont be too much of an issue. I read that ONA pro gel works pretty good, I guess all you have to do is open up the jar and leave it there. I know carbon filters are the way to go, but I really want to keep it as simple as possible so that I don't fuck it up, plus I don't want to spend the money on one or spend the time to build one.

So basically, what's good, what's not good, and what am I missing? Help me out here, grasscity.

2. Your parents know. You should not grow in thier house, your a child and will likely burn the place up. /thread

3. I honestly don't think that they do. If they do, they haven't been up there in 6 years, I doubt they'll go up there any time soon. I'm pretty set on this idea, actual help with making this work would be appreciated.

4. Don't grow in your parents house. If your an adult and want to grow, get your own place. If your a kid, wait until your an adult and have your own place. That simple

5. You do realize by growing in your parents house you are risking burning it down (because you're going to use shotty equipment) and if you got caught they will TAKE YOUR PARENTS HOUSE.

Its not your decision to make. Dont grow in your parents home.

6. Hahah I like how he states that he is pretty set in the idea and that actual information to help make this work is much appreciated yet all you guys do is tell him not to grow lol. If your getting an hps 150 watt it's put off decent heat but not to much, keep it 8inches away from the actual bulb and you should have no heat stress. As for the smell I say you must try to find a cheap carbon filter you don't want to risk getting caught and I've heard that ona gel does and doesn't work. Yes about the heat you got to keep it above 64( the hps will help keep the room warm by it self though and what I know about auto flowers you keep the light on 24/7 someone tell me if I'm wrong). Keep in mind they pay the electric bill so they might investigate why the bill has risen.

7. We didn't give him advice because there's line between right and wrong. It's wrong to conduct activities that could cause his parents legal problems. It doesn't matter if he's got his mind set on it, don't support it.

8. Never gave you shit for not giving him "advice" just stating i think its funny that you tell him not to do it when someone else just told him that and he says he has his mind set on it so dont say anything at all. He asked for your advice on how to do it not advice for weather he should or shouldn't do it. let me ask you something do you think it is wrong to conduct activities thats put family members at risk, such as your significant other or children, to have legal problems if their living in the same home as you grow, cause thats what happens. id say 75 percent of the people that grow on here dont do it in a seperate house so the only place to do it is where their family lives and im sure you give those people advice all the time.

9. you need to get you some black and white poly it comes in 10' X 10' and 10' X 25' get some 2" X 3" X 8' lumber enough to build 4 walls and since your only growing 2 autoflowers you wont need a very big space. maybe 4' X 4' X 8' ( or as tall as your attic lets you). everything you build can be taken apart if you use screws and a drill.
    take the poly and staple it too the inside of the frame you just made and make some sort of door that seals. then instead of getting a 150 watt HPS get the 400 watt HPS/MH on ebay $122.70 with dimmable ballast and basic wing reflector. it also comes with both MH and HPS heres the link.

iPower 250W 400W 600W 1000W Watt HPS MH Grow Light System Kit DIMM Green House | eBay

Then once you have your light and room sealed off you can then do a practice run for a week with no plants to see where your temps are going to be. get a temp and RH meter that keeps a high and a low for the day and place that in your sealed room.From there we can see if you are going to need heat or not. Your light (depending on size of room you build, smaller is better in your case) should have enough BTU to keep it above 65 F.
    if it doesnt then you will need a space heater with built in thermostat to keep temps up.

Hope this helps obviously guys if he has his mind set on it why not help him do it right so he doesnt burn the place down. Cause hes going to do it whether you guys say yes or no. Your not his daddy he could care less all he wants is info so give it too him. I might be new to this site but ive been growing for 10 years now and i wish I had advice when I was growing in my parents house (which I did do 2 times).

10. Here's a little advice for the OP...parents are not as dumb as you think. They will figure it out, especially with all the extra electricity you'll be drawing and the potential smell. Parents think like kids because they too were once kids, they just know kids think dumb most of the time. How old are you anyways, OP?

Mocakes- stop supporting him. 75% of growers on here do not grow in their parent's house. Check some of the threads int he grow journal forum and see if you actually believe what you're saying.

11. lol to late I'm already supporting him and hes got my full support. oh by the way read my post I said family not parents big difference. so yes i believe that 75% of people on here grow on the same location they live therefore putting their family at risk for legal problems.

12. First off a 400 watt light uses 4 cents an hour to run so your looking at $ . 96 a day to run $29 a month I doubt your parents will be like "I think my son is growing we need to find it" No its the middle of winter they will blame it on the weather. Smell can be combatted easily so as long as its kept on the low and you DO NOT tell anybody about it then it will be somewhat safe.

13. Octal
    I will answer any questions you have so ask away.

14. #14 chiefton8, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
    Family...parents...whatever...you can play with semantics all you want because it doesn't matter. We're talking people living under the same roof without knowledge or consent of the grow. It's irresponsible, childish and selfish. And no, 75% of people on here do not fall under that category. Maybe 75% of grows that start in the beginners section that don't get past the seedling stage, sure. But not complete grows.

I grow with a 400w and I notice the difference in bills because I pay the bills. Sure, it's not that much but parents know how much their bills should be. You're also forgetting he wants to do this in an uninsulated, unsealed part of the house living in AK, which means a space heater. Your average space heater runs 1500w. Plus if the room is unsealed, the potential for light leaks are very real as a parent will notice a strange light coming out the house from an area that shouldn't have lights. And even the best carbon scrubbers still leave some smell behind come full flower.

He needs to get his own place where he burdens 100% of the responsibility of his actions, at which point I would encourage him to grow as much bud as he pleases.

15. IM talking about people that grow in the same house they live with weather they know it or not it still causes legal problems. I think its childish to only think about how it affects the parents when your growing as a kid, rather than if your an adult growing with a family. If your children and wife/husband know its there, they're associated with the crime. The point I made is that 75% of the people grow the same place that they live causing their whole family legal problems parents or children. the only reason i made this point was cause sodakstoner said he would basically give you advice if you own the place your growing even if you have a family putting them at legal risk but not if your a kid putting your parents at legal risk cause thats just "wrong" which is absurd. I believe that 75% of the people on this forum grow for personal use, not commercial, therefore they dont go buy a separate house or apartment therefore putting their family at risk in legal matters even if the other members living in that house know or not, doesn't matter if your child or parent it all comes back to legal problems.come full flower if you have the proper size carbon scrubber for how many plants you have it doesnt smell at all so i dont know what your talking about. Again this post is to help the kid out not to convince him to not grow.