Need advice on LED wattage/par for my 4x4 tent

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Darien86, Mar 6, 2017.

1. I am looking for advise on how many LED lights to use for a 4x4 tent. I have finally pick out what LED light I'm going to use, but as far as wattage/par goes I'm still having a hard time pulling the trigger. After some research I have come to this decision to buy 2 of the following below.

2 - VIPARSPECTRA Dimmable Series PAR450 450W LED Grow Light - 3 Dimmers 12-Band Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg/Bloom

For my 4x4 tent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

2. I run two 450 watt viparspectra in a 3x4 tent and I'm very happy with it. There are 4 plants under a scrog. I originally tried to get away with one light but quickly realized I needed two. I'm in week 6 of flower, still happy with them

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you for your comments! Would you say 2 450W in a 4x4 insufficient?

4. I guess it depends on how many plants you're planning on having. It's a little more sq footage than recommended by the manufacturer I think, but it'll get the job done if you do 4 maybe 6 plants IMO

5. I was thinking 4-5 plants scrog style. What kind of yield are you getting from that set up? I might switch to a 4x3 if the yield is still there.

6. I wouldn't bother switching tents. This is my first indoor grow. Still a few weeks from harvest . Good call with scrog, the lights wouldn't do so well with lower buds

[​IMG]
    7 weeks ago

[​IMG]
    Yesterday

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looks awesome! This will be my first indoor, I did one round in my greenhouse last year, and I made the decision to go indoor this year! Just a littler nervous and don't want to just throw money away. This is a very lonely hobby where I live. If you get what I mean. Thanks for your comments
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Jealous of that greenhouse setup and beautiful grow! Best of luck, I think you'll be pleased with the LEDs

• Like Like x 1
  9. I have a 4x4 space and was gonna buy a mars Cree 128 for my first led light this week. I'm only planning on running 2 plants at a time until I get the second light. Do you think I'll be ok jmitch88

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. Sizing a lighting system for a garden should always be done in watts per square foot. After that the light footprint of the fixtures that are to be used should be taken into account.

Sizing for led is a little tricky because they are not all created equal. You will aways be working with actual watts and not rated watts. Rated watts vary too much to mean anything for sizing a garden. I've seen 1000w leds that were 100 actual watts.

For older design single 3 and 5 watt diode burple panels you should shoot for 35-50 watts per square foot. 4x4 is 16 square feet. At 40 watts per square that's 640 watts. The viparspectra 450's are 210 watts each so you have 420 watts total. Definitely on the low end for flower. That's 26 watts per square foot. When I budded with platinum I ran 47 watts per square. A p900 and a p450 in a 4x4.

Some of the higher output newest leds around are capable of budding an area just fine at the 30-35 watt per square foot range like HLG quantum boards.

I'm running two of these in my 4x4 flower tent now.
    Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit

12. My only good pic of last grow with only one qb260 and a p900 in a 4x4. I got 2lbs. Densest buds I've ever seen. I had spider mites and the plants looked bad compared to previous grows so I took few pictures plus I was out of town a lot for work. The buds turned out great though.
    IMG_0684.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  13. Those QB boards getting good reviews. Nextlight Mini may help you as well. For veg and flower

Sent from my SM-G930V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1