Need advice on choosing a growbox

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by qrw32, Sep 21, 2006.

1. I'm getting ready to start growing my first plant and I've found 2 different grow boxes at thegrowbox.com that fit my budget. I was hoping someone with experience growing could check them out online and let me know which one, if any, will work. One is called The GrowBox Candeo HPS, it comes with a 150w HPS lamp and bulb, among other accessories. It seems like it has almost everything you need, but I have 2 questions: Is it big enough to grow 1 plant for personal use (38"H x 10"L x 10"W)? And will the 150w HPS be okay to use through the whole process, seed to bud, or will it be too hot at first (it has an exhaust fan at the top to remove heat)? I know its a small box, but I've read that you only need 3 ft. in height and 1 ft sq. to grow just 1 plant, so it's only 2" short, length and width. The other model is called The GrowBox Athena, it comes with a 42w CFL as well as the 150w HPS that can be used separately for different stages, or together. Its also bigger (52"H x 12"L x 12"W) and has all the accessories of the Candeo. Are either of these acceptable for growing 1 plant? I would prefer the Candeo because of its size and cost, but I want to make sure the one I get will work before I drop $300-$400 on it. Again, the site is called thegrowbox.com , just follow the links on the left side of the homepage to the models I listed. Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. the one with the 150 Hps is plenty for just 1 plant.:)
    you can also make one for half the price and a light thats twice as powerful.

i guess it all comes down to, would you rather shell out the cash for one or just make one fore cheap :D

Good luck!

3. Thanks for your help bigstickybuds81, are you saying that the one thats 38" x 10" x 10" is big enough for 1 plant? Am I going to need to get some CFL's for the beginning stages, or will the 150w HPS be okay to use from start to finish? btw, how much could I yield off a small plant like this (rough estimate)?

4. You could veg 1 plant in it, but the fact that the grow box is clear (just realized this lol)
    you would need to light proof it completly..in all seriousness i think you should think hard on it (dont give yourself a headache:p ) for 3-400 dollars on a box that beotch should be light proof hehe. do a search on the web for grow boxes alot of people have drawn out good ideas, and it really isnt that hard..Take a few bong hits and i know youll come up with something Soo much better and least half the cost. as far as the CFLs i personally like using cfls the first week or two, they dont get so much of a baby stretch, tho alot of ppl just do the hps for seedlings its all about prefernce (sp?)

if you cant find any diagrams for a box just PM me and ill get a nice one out to you.

Keep it safe!!

5. Would tin foil around all the glass be okay to light proof, or would that create too much extra heat inside? What else could I use?

6. there is alot of different light proof material, try googling it:p
    i have always used mylar for the inside of my cabinet and its always stayed light proof.
    Ya tin foil would just keep the heat in and cause hotspots.

7. Do you think I'll have a problem with keeping the lights at the right distance from the plant? I've read your supposed to keep it about 2"- 4" throughout the growth, but aren't most commercial grow box lamps stable at the top?

8. That company sells light proof covers for their boxes on their website.

9. Hey:wave:

Hmm it looks like everything is intergrated (already attatched). are you looking more towards the CFL one? it really shouldnt be a problem alot of ppl make the mistake and not being able to make there lights move down(which isnt a problem) all you have to do is booste youre planting pots up on like crates, if youre leaning more towards the HPS lamp youll have to keep it about 12-24 inches away depending on the exhaust, if the lights are air cooled which the more expensive athena has if im not mistaken than you can keep it about 6 inches, for the CFL's youll have to keep it about 3 inches from the canopy and atoke is right they do sell the lightproof covers ( the more expensive athena growbox actually comes with it.) the commercial type growers would just use light movers if im not mistaken:confused:

10. I think I'm gonna go with the Candeo HPS to save some money and keep it hidden better. Will the 38" x 10" x 10" box be big enough to flower the plant in too? Can you complete flowering the plant when its only 3 ft tall?

11. yea you should be ok, youre not gonna yield very much, just remember one thing in flowering itll double in size easy, one mistake i have made was let it veg too long, silly thing ran into my hps light :rolleyes:

12. Do you suggest vegging it till about 1 1/2 ft then flowering till 3 ft? how do I induce flowering? btw Its only for personal use I don't expect to get alot, I'm hoping for maybe an oz. My seeds are from some super skunky homegrown, so the quality should be high.