Need advice on choosing a growbox

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by qrw32, Sep 21, 2006.

1. I'm getting ready to start growing my first plant and I've found 2 different grow boxes at thegrowbox.com that fit my budget. I was hoping someone with experience growing could check them out online and let me know which one, if any, will work. One is called The GrowBox Candeo HPS, it comes with a 150w HPS lamp and bulb, among other accessories. It seems like it has almost everything you need, but I have 2 questions: Is it big enough to grow 1 plant for personal use (38"H x 10"L x 10"W)? And will the 150w HPS be okay to use through the whole process, seed to bud, or will it be too hot at first (it has an exhaust fan at the top to remove heat)? I know its a small box, but I've read that you only need 3 ft. in height and 1 ft sq. to grow just 1 plant, so it's only 2" short, length and width. The other model is called The GrowBox Athena, it comes with a 42w CFL as well as the 150w HPS that can be used separately for different stages, or together. Its also bigger (52"H x 12"L x 12"W) and has all the accessories of the Candeo. Are either of these acceptable for growing 1 plant? I would prefer the Candeo because of its size and cost, but I want to make sure the one I get will work before I drop $300-$400 on it. Again, the site is called thegrowbox.com , just follow the links on the left side of the homepage to the models I listed. Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. The one with the 42watt CFL would probably be better, even though thats a small amount of light power...you really want to be using something fluro's for the vegetation part...to me the dimensions on both boxes seem like they'd be fine, and the built in HPS is a definate go for the flowering stage, so I'd say you go with the athena...but I know what low-budget is like. I just ordered seeds two days ago and my grow room is my closet, I'm gonna have normal potting soil + perlite ...the cheapest fertilizer possible...and about 3 or 4 27watt fluros

3. Thanks sh4d0ws, I saw some organic soil at meijer with a ph 5.8-6.8 for $3.97/bag you might try. I don't know if its got everything you need though. About the grow box, were you saying it would be bad to use the HPS for the Seedling and Vegitative stages? Other than the size of the box, which you say is okay, my only concern is whether I absolutely need those CFL's for the beginning or if I can grow start to finish with just the HPS 150w and not fry my baby b4 she's ready to be fried lol. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    qrw32

4. I've heard during the seedling stage, the plants are very sensitive to light so little to no light is best. During the vegative stage it would be better to use CFL's yes. This is what I guess you could try and do, go to a store near you like walmart...home depot...home hardware and check out flourescent or cfl light bulbs..you can screw those into like a lamp or any like common socket...and that would work. Then you could just try and fit those into your box somewhere? I've never read anything on growing start to finish with HPS lights, however I'm sure somebody will come along and reply to this thread that will know more than me.

Also, I see this EVERYWHERE make sure whatever you do, the soil you buy does not have any fertilizers already in it, nothing time-release or anything because for the first two weeks after sprouting the plants will be fine without fertilizer and using fertilizer too soon can burn the plants.

Oh and just so you know, I've never grown before...I've just researched growing for hours...anyways I'm hoping to have my first two plants started by the end of September :).