1. Win a $250 shopping spree at Grasscity.com! To enter subscribe to our youtube channel.
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on Best Practice with 20 23watt CFL

Discussion in 'Indoor Marijuana Growing' started by gcjr420, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Okay so here’s the deal. I’m really good at veg. I think it doesn’t take much to do well at this stage. Most people it seems fail with flowering, including me. And from what I conclude one of the top reasons for fail is due to improper light.

I’m sold on the proven lighting method that’s been used for some 40 years. Problem is I have to work with what I got. I’m not able to put any more money into this. So I’m legitimately coming to the community to ask for help.

Realistically what can I expect from using 20 23watt CFL. I need to know how many plants I can flower using them. What’s the max size containers I should allow them in, max time to veg, etc.

Also, amazon has a 150watt HPS light with hood for $50 bucks. I might be able to get this if y’all feel I’d be worth it. I wish I could go HPS, but I’m really cant put any more money into this. Even after explaining to my partner it would use the same amount of electric and possibly triple the harvest compared to CFL.

So would getting even that 150watt HPS be better than just trying to flower with CFL? Again there’s a good chance I could buy it, but I will then need to prove a justification for it in the end game with the harvest.

And again, what is the best practice using only 20 23watt CFL’s.

Thank you in advanced for y’all’s expert opinions on this matter. FYI: we need the crop for medical not really recreational. We’re forced to buy weed and I’m desperately trying to be self sufficient and not depend on buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I use only cfl it is my first grow so im no expert but i know what ive done for 1 single plant.
    I have 3 cfl bulbs. 1 23w ice white flood light= 100watts. And two true 30 watt warm white cfls giving me 160 cfl watts. 83 true watts. Ive done a single pheno.
    Im 5 weeks into a 13/11 flower schedule after a 24hour veg cycle and have a decent plant here with plenty of bud sites and good growth. Only the last few weeks will show my yield.
    Point being if i can do a single plant with those numbers then im sure you can easily do 3-4 nice plants with 20 bulbs. 1507912285178.jpg 1507912289145.jpg 1507912298443.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. You did pretty much what I did last year and I failed. You’ll need much more light than what you have in order to push the plants to complete the flowering stage properly.

I’m anticipating getting replies telling me I’ll be lucky to use all these bulbs just for one plant. We shall see when the tenured folks reply with. Thank you though for your reply and feedback and for sharing your experience so far.

4. Well sorry but thats horseshit. People grow outdoors in the UK with not even a fraction of what most of the worlds light exposure is, ontop of the infinite videos and guides out there. If you cant complete a single plant with 20cfls then you need to stop.

5. 20x23 is 460 true watts. Thats more then hps your proposinh so how can you not grow a plant with that?

6. #6 gcjr420, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Light spectrum and kelvin ratings are different. CFL will definitely work. But as you did the math for me, I’m working with 230 watts possibly of light per plant if I were to do two. And I’m working with light that’s very inefficient and requires the bulbs to be very close to the plant and constant adjustment to prevent burning.

This can be done, and will be done. I’m simply asking for some best practices and suggestions as to how many plants I can do at once and how large I can allow them to get in order to flower properly.

Knowing that 250watts HPS seems to be the trend / norm for possibly two medium sized indoor plants, my guess until I get further guidance from the tenured members is two maximum, which will result in about a 1/3 less harvest compared to one 250 watt HPS.

Also the 150watt HPS, as proposed, would be “added” into the mix, not replacing CFL. I should have been more specific on that part.

Lastly, I didn’t mean to offend you. In my observation here so far on the forum is that the folks that go CFL tend to fail. They get warned often by the tenured members and ignore them and end up learning the hard way despite the advice given to them.

I don’t roll that way. I listen, learn, and try to make very slow and educated decisions. My partner and I need marijuana for medical purposes. This isn’t fun and games. I have a log book and a journal and everything I do is documented. I’m treating this situation very carefully and professionally.

Please don’t take offense. I don’t have time or money to fuck up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. So your question is more of measurements rather then how to do it.
    With the wattage you have there you can easily do 3-4 plants if ive got a 2ft with only 83w/160 watt outage and youls will be getting even more then mine is my point. With 20 you can virtually ladder the lights and never adjust.
    Some above some to the side etc...

8. Like i said i cant speak for volume as of now, i havent grown shit with cfl myself but ive seen enough to know you can easily grow decent plants with them, they do it in pc boxes with 2 bulbs and pull. You have 20. Vary your spectrums and surround it in light for 24 hours and it will work. 3 plants at the very least with that wattage.

9. Yeah I have 20 23w CFL’s most are 6500k and 5000k and maybe a handful of 2700k. And then I got 3 65w 2700k bulbs. They are big. I’ve learned that bigger CFL’s aren’t better because their size hinders your ability to really get the most bang out of your “lighting buck” per sa.

So it’s 460 watts of the smaller ones plus 195 watts of them three bigger bulbs.

If I had it to do over with the CFL inventory I’d probably would have purchased the 45 watt ones. They seem to be the most optimal with size and packing the best punch. Eventually for vegging I’ll upgrade to those. For the time being I need to work with what I got. Pending possibly throwing $50 at a cheaper HPS bulb and hood.

10. Scrog is going to be your friend with cfls. For cfl you want about 100w a sqft if i remember right. If it was me if do a one plant scrog in a 2x2 area.

450ish watt led easy organics indoor grow
    Indoor organic

11. As far as hps is concerned, 150 is not efficient. 250w can be had for a couple bucks more usually and get far better results. With cfls and the 150w hps your not very likely to grow anything but fluffy buds. They are definitely capable of growing good potent pot but yield will never be what it could be. If you're comfortable running 400w of cfl, i would also consider saving $ until you can purchase a 400w hps/mh combo. They are a great size for 1 or 2 two people to have a steady supply.

Indoor organic

12. Thanks a lot for your advice on that. How much do you consider to be a steady supply?

13. Dont get your logic either at all. Hes packing 460 true watts of cfls. Why spend a penny on anything more? Letalone a weaker HPS. The more light you have the better. You have 20 bulbs and 460 true bling watts. Why would you spend more money and get a weaker light? . Even a 400w hps is weaker then what he has. Too many trends in growing it appears. More watts =more bud. Cover the spectrums of light thats all you do...

14. #14 Chillindylan, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    More to a light than watts. incandescent bulbs? Florescent lights have horrible watt/lumen compared to hps. I think about a third as much. It's cool if you don't get my logic, i didn't pull this out of my ass, it's backed by research and experience.
    There's a far better explanation in this post:
    CFL Grow. Thoughts ?

Indoor organic

15. It was just enough to keep me and the ex in stock until the next harvest. If/when you do upgrade lighting, you can use those cfls for a separate veg space and run perpetual harvest. They work well for clones and veg, just not so much for buds.

Indoor organic

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ive read it and again it depends on what your pushing. Cfls can achieve as much. If he put those 20 bulbs around two or three olants he will get a good yield. Spectrums are more impotant then just sheer wattage. I could have a billion green leds 1000 watts and grow nothing or have 300watts of blue and red spectrum and grow a beast

17. lol. I just wanted to create a plan towards using what I have and wondered if it would be beneficial to add some HPS light cheaply.

Sounds like I can safely do two medium sized plants in 3 gallon buckets or possibly three medium-small plants in 1 gallon containers. What do you think?

18. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I did 2 white widow plants in 2 gallon pots of ocean forest in the container and got 2.5 ounces. There's 10 23 watt cfl bulbs. 7 red 3 blue. There's a desk fan for a intake and a "high velocity" desk fan as a exhaust. The reason for this is when growing with cfls you have to get the bulb as close to the plant as possible. CFLs have terrible penetration. So to compensate for the heat you have a slower fan blow over the bulbs and a larger more powerful fan pull the heat out - causing a "more efficient" negative pressure.
    You can grow with cfl but it's never going to be as efficient as high intensity lighting.

Happy growing.

R-4808N

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thankyou lol dont think they believed in lord CFL

20. We are we looking at in terms of Lumans needed for this?

Grasscity Deals Near You