Need advice from people experienced with eBay

Discussion in 'General' started by metallica2k1, Jan 14, 2009.

1. So I've been trying to get a certain guitar amp for a while now. Costs $1000 new. I won it in an auction for $550 with it advertised as Free Shipping. The money hasn't cleared yet, but now I got this email response from him after I emailed him about when the money would clear:

(...)I also have a problem with my shipper.
    Evidently, I can ship my head no charge but the cab is going to
    cost $100 to ship to your location due to size constraints. I can't
    afford to ship it for that much. Maybe we could work something
    out. Your check hasn't gone through and I can put an immediate
    stop payment on my end if you wish. Still I think you will be very
    pleased in the condition of this amp and the price isn't bad.

So is this legit, or am I getting scammed? I'm new to all this Paypal and eBay stuff. Something doesn't sit right here, but there's a reason I'm new to eBay (paranoid about getting scammed).

2. well, i recommend you remind him he listed it as free shipping. if he didn't do the proper research, that's his fault. BUT being the understanding person you are, if he goes ahead and ships it (he MUST use delivery confirmation or get some sort of tracking number), once it arrives and you give it a once over, you'll send the additional $50 to cover HALF of shipping.

as ebay would see it, he's trying to extort an additional $100 "off ebay" and they would have serious consequences for him. so, as far as legality, you are well protected.

Did you make the payment with PayPal and not have any funds in your account? (so it sent and "e-check")

3. #3 Bizzoo, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2009
    ask for the dimensions, ask how much it weighs how big it is, ask who his shipper is.....go to his shipper 9prolly ups or some shit) give them the dimensions he gave you, and see if it really costs 100 bucks to ship.....

if it does, i would pay that 100 bucks, even with that 100 added on to what you paid, its still cheaper then it normally would be.

if it doesn't really cost 100 to mail, tell him to mail it through UPS, or just straight up tell him hes lying, you want your money back, and your going to neg rep him on ebay.

and ebay users are rep whores, so he will prolly try and make you happy.

4. Yeah I set up a Paypal account just for this auction. I am....distrusting...of eBay in general. There was more to do then I thought, so I scrambled to get it all set up. The payment is still waiting to clear into my Paypal balance (should be cleared sometime between today and Friday), then from there the eCheck has to clear which could take until around the 22nd.

He has all positive rep, but he hasn't got much of it, so it could be fake or whatever. I don't know.

I sent him an email asking who he was using for shipping. I also told him I'd be willing to cover the $100, but it would be a show of good faith if he were to at least cover $30 if not $50 (if I'm paying $70 for shipping, it's the same as I would be paying had I ordered the amp online from a store, so I think that's fair). Thanks for the help.

Ok that sounds great. I won't even have to ask for the dimensions since I can just find them online, but I already asked him who he's shipping through. Thanks for the suggestion. This kind of stuff is why I hate eBay. Soooooo sketchy....

I have to trust that he's not trying to fuck me over, and he has to do the same for himself. I'm ready to just get the amp and continue my non-eBay ways.

5. #5 metallica2k1, Jan 14, 2009
    He's using FedEx, and I'm trying to figure out their shipping calculator. It's looking like he's going to send out my stuff, give me a tracking number, then when I get the amp, I will send him the $100 for shipping through Paypal. That seems fair to me. I told him I'd give him my phone number/name just to keep it legit and let him know I'm not going to screw him.

6. #6 eldude-arino, Jan 14, 2009
    $100 s/h for an amp (dependent upon size... but if there's a head, it's likely sizable) and head is definitely reasonable... but the fact he doesn't have his shit straight shouldn't cost you more in the end.

I've been on ebaY since 02 and selling car parts and stuff since then on message boards... one doesn't offer free shipping then after the item is paid for come back and say they didn't know it was going to be that much, and ask the buyer to come up with more jack. It's just bad business. Get HIS info and verify it's legitimacy... DON'T send the $100 until he's provided proof of shipment (a verifiable tracking number). BELIEVE ME... I trust NOONE and, as I said, I've been doing business on ebaY, with PayPal, and on msg brds for yeeeaaarrssss with very minimal bad experiences.

7. $100 for shipping on an amp??? That must be one helluva amp if it costs that much to send....i just ordered a 150 lb safe and its dimensions are probably around the same size....if not a lil bigger than a good size amp and i paid $65 for the shipping which was UPS standard delivery ..which im assuming is what your guy will use...not overnight. Before you agree to pay a flat rate on the shipping tell him you want a recipt for how much it was....if he labeled it as free shipping thats on him, it is false advertisement if he fails to comply with his original ad and legally he is obligated to ship what you ordered for free. I wouldnt agree to pay for any of it personally...i am a good person but if something is advertised as free shipping...im getting the free shipping....i dont mess around with that stuff. You are protected as a buyer if you paid through pay pal...you can dispute anything and they will take care of contacting him about the dispute;)

8. #8 eldude-arino, Jan 14, 2009
    I see a couple of issues with that logic:

1. seller decides not to continue transaction and buyer looses good deal
    2. if seller is new and a non-verified PayPal user, PayPal won't be able to recover the funds (and rather than loose $100 extra on s/h, buyer is out $500 for amp/head)
    3. seller could make it a HUGE pain in the ass for buyer to receive amp (delaying shipment, etc.)
    4. if seller is really bitter, he could damage the product and then send it

BELIEVE ME... i'm right with you that he should incur all fees since he advertised free shipping, AND it is his fault he didn't get a quote BEFORE listing the amp/head.... but in the interest of getting things done, being a buyer the seller can work with usually turns out in the buyers favor in the end

just my .02