Need advice for "grow closet"

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by zeekoslav, May 11, 2022.

1. I decided I want utilize my empty closet space. I can fit 2x pots of 15l (46cmx56cmx150cm). I don't need nor want anything special, professional and expensive. My plan is to spend least amount of money as possible for this (planning on autos). I have 2 questions concerning this. Light and soil, let's start with easy one.

1.Soil - It is a mix of white peat, black peat, fibrous peat, perlite, vermicompost, Bat Guano, 40 kg / m3 organic NPK fertilizers (3-15-4) according to manufacturer. Also they note "Rinse with water before use to eliminate readily absorbable nutrients." and "Guarantees complete fertilization for at least 6 weeks". my question about this are:
    • What is the point of ordering nut rich soil if you have to wash it before use? Will this make any problems with the plants? Should I flush soil before putting seed in it?
    • In contact with seller he noted "Your plants need to reach 4 weeks of vegetation before placing them in soil" Since they are autos and they aren't usually repotted rather placed in final pot right away. Will there be any problems if I placed them in right away. And final question, should I fill up pots with this soil, leave little hole in the middle, put some less rich nut soil in that hole?
    2. Light - I never grew with lights, I did 3-4 harvest on outdoor and my knowledge is limited. One lights that peeked my intrest, mostly coz of fairly low price is "Spider Farmer SF600 74W LED".
    • Since those dimension can't fit my closet horizontally, can I place them on the side vertically?
    • Can I pull 2 plants with those lights and what are your general thought about them?

2. You need 35 to 40 watts of LED lighting per square foot of grow space .
    Bagged compost is not soil , its considered soil less soil . I would be adding things like pearlite or pea gravel, sand into the compost for better drainage.
    MJ roots need water nutrients and oxygen ..... If the grow medium retains allot of water and has slower drainage you will not get oxygen to the roots .
    As of rinsing the compost. I don't see a issue , its going to get wet anyway .
    Pretty much starts to activate the nutrients in the compost.
    I would plant Indica plants because they are smaller and have a shorter flowering cycle then Sativa .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Well first off, how big is your closet area? Is it ventilated?

And more importantly, I noticed you mention wanting something inexpensive. I need to emphasize the fact that closet growing IS expensive. I'm finding this out the hard way because I thought it would be cheap as well. I've spent over $500 and still don't have everything I need to do this successfully. It's really not as simple as just buying a couple of plant pots, a grow light and seeds. There are a lot of components and materials you're going to need throughout different stages of your grow cycles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. There are perlite in the mix
    (46cmx56cmx150cm) are dimensions, what do you mean by 'good ventilated' I can't open doors now and then?
    Well I have most of the things, soil, pots, nutrients, some repellent from last year, they can also be on sun 5-8h a day, I was thinking to use those lights to boost up light period.

5. I mean like a fan, that simulates wind being blown on the plants, makes the stalk strong. & I think your plants are going to need between 12-18 hours of light for veg, I could be wrong about this. But you should find out if moving the plants from actual sunlight to synthetic light harms/disrupts the grow cycle in any way.

I don't want to give bad advice, as I'm less than a noob when it comes to growing as well. But just consider a pH testing kit as well as a fan, perhaps a different light. I think that one might be a little too big for your configuration. Also are your walls white? You might need mylar film. And also do your plant pots have saucer bottoms, to contain the run off? All these little things I did not account for when venturing out into the world of growing lol. And the costs add up.

6. I am fully aware there is already pearlite in the compost .
    ADD MORE

7. A small space like that has to be ventilated/extracted: the plants transpire water so humidity will spike which means mold; both your plants and your cupboard. The more watts you have inside (light, fan etc) the more heat you will have. Also weed plants smell alot, you need to extract thru a filter unless you can handle the whole place stinking of weed. Id try one auto rather than 2 for your first try.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. I veg in a 7' x2' closet under 300w of leds and I fit around 40 plants comfortably. Venting if it is closed will be your biggest hurdle but the is easy if you can put a 4' hole in the wall or ceiling.