Need Advice For Buying a New Computer With SSD

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by garrison68, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Hi. I'm not very computer savvy. I need a Windows desktop with a Solid State Drive. The reason for this, is the noise from direct drive aggravates my tinnitus, so it must be 100% Solid State. I am not a gamer, not streaming movies, etc., About the most complex thing I will use with it, will be Photoshop. My budget is between $400.00 to $800.000, if possible but if there is nothing in that range I could go higher. Non-complicated is the key, and with a solid state drive. Thanks for any recommendations for currently available new models that I can order online as all the stores in NYC are now closed due to the virus lockdown.

2. ipad is possible with a usb drive might do it

pc is so old school but dysfuntional teens playing their expensive lonely games ..lol

3. Today many desktop computers are sold with SSDs as standard e.g. Dell, HP etc:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shop/desktops-with-ssd

The rub is in the drive capacity. Most systems include a 256GB SSD, which is enough for Windows and a few apps, not much more. You'll almost certainly need a larger drive for a Photoshop workstation.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks very much. This is the Asus computer that I've been using for the past 6 years. It's fine, never had much trouble with it but I think it's time for a new one.

Attached Files:

5. Ide make you a system but not unless I got paid for it lol. Go on YouTube. Theres like dozens of pc budget builds

Sent from my SM-A102U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. I'm not interested in building it. All I need is an OK ready made, easily available by mail, desktop computer, with an SS Drive, that can handle photoshop which my six year old current computer can do but is old and is starting to slow up and falter. If such a computer is not available, at a reasonable price, say 500-800 dollars, I'll try some other strategy.

7. If you haven't looked into it already, upgrading your current system from 8GB to 16GB might be a cheap fix for your performance issues. 8GB really isn't enough for 64-bit Windows especially with major apps like Photoshop.

8. If the sound of a direct drive bothers you I think its time to get a new one because they should be relatively silent.

9. Thanks, that may be a solution, but there's a very low level, almost imperceptible, "whirring" sound that is known to aggravate existing tinnitus, due to standard hard drives. As far as the new direct drives being quieter, this is all trial and error and I'd hate to spend $$$ on a new computer with a standard hard drive, only to find out that my tinnitus increases when I use it, just as it does now. One person with tinnitus, whom I know online, has moved his standard tower to a closet far away from where he sits with his keyboard and screen, and this no longer bothers his tinnitus. His tech, who has tinnitus as well, recommended this. He also has a laptop, with a solid state drive.

10. just pick up a barracuda 2t for like 40$ problem solved also check your disk drive those are always loud just unplug the power cord on it (the wider one) and plug it back in only when you need to use it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Most should be silent or very close to it. Not long ago we added a WD Black (WD1003FZEX) and the drive is completely inaudible even during heavy R/W access.

Also check for coil whine from your video card. What you assume is disk drive noise may not be. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. f
    from his specs I assumed he was using on board graphics

13. #13 Skyjester, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Checking for coil whine was general advice, not just for his current system. If he gets a new system and it whines, it may not be the disk drive. Cheap or failing PC power supplies can also have coil whine.

14. Thanks but the computer is six or seven years old, and failing. I'm not qualified to fix it, and it's not worth paying somebody to do so - and besides, they are closed due to Covid-19. I want to buy a new one, with a SS drive if possible. Photoshop has actually worked fine on my present computer, most of the time, for years, but it's been cranky, lately, and seems like it'll be ready for the landfill very soon.

15. How large is the hard drive on your current desktop and how full is it? If you can live with a 512 gigabyte hard drive, rather than 1 terabyte(1024 gigabytes). Then I suggest the computer in the link below, it's on Amazon. It comes with a SSD that is even faster than SATA connected SSDs, it connects using PCIe, a type of PCI slot on the motherboard.

16. My Mac desktop is as quite as a church mouse. It's less than a year old. By comparison, ms wink's mac laptop can sound like a reviving engine and it's closer to 6 years old. It could be an age thing.

17. Macs are quiet but expensive. Beware there might be fan noise with any desktop, but you can sometimes change the fan speed in BIOS.

18. Thanks, that computer looks like it might be the ticket for me.

• Like Like x 1