Need a solution for odor control

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ogderp, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Hey everyone, I was planning on building a small grow box for 2 plants that will be sitting in my closet, and I was planning on using PC fans for ventilation since its a small box.  Unfortunately, I've hit a snag in my plan.  After sharing my design over on RIU, someone over there told me that PC fans don't do well blowing through carbon filters because they're not made for back pressure.  My original plans for odor control were to either use these cut to size carbon filters from home depot, or make DIY carbon filters from a thread here on GC using mesh pencil cups and activated carbon for aquariums.  Does anyone know of a good and cheap substitute for odor control that would work for a small grow box?

2. A big scrubber and fan are the best investment you can buy....youre going cheap on the only part that can get you in trouble.

3. How would I do that if I don't plan on ducting at all? I found some small carbon scrubbers, but would those even be too big for such a small box?

4. Not at all....heres what you do....stand the can filter up, place blower on top...then turn on. Let the fan suck the air through the filter and shoot the clean air at the ceiling or at your hood to cool the room a bit

5. #5 ogderp, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
    I don't have a hood either, this box is pretty small and I'm using CFL's.  How would I even hook it up to my box and how do I have it shoot the clean air at the ceiling?

6. Well heats not a problem but size is....you wont be able to just set it inside so you run ducting to one side of the box. Have the fan pull the air through the box and push it through the filter

7. Yeah but this box is so small that I probably can't hook up an inline fan to it. Do you know anything about PC fans, there's a DIY car on scrubber made out of pencil cups and activated carbon for aquariums, but I need to find one with the highest air pressure rating. The highest I've found is 3.1mm and I don't know if that's enough or not.

8. Im sure you can run dryer ducting to it and as for computer fans im no help....i like fans that move over 400 cubic feet per minute...but i dont run cfls