need a ph meter

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by dcloud, Jul 28, 2011.

1. I'm going to be switching from soil to hydro soon and need a ph meter but trying to figure out if the soil ph meter will work in water or will i need one specifically designed for hydro? If so what ph meter is recommended that i can purchase off ebay?

2. you need a new meter, and we need a budget

3. I'd go with the Milwaukee ph55. The 600 is not the greatest. Trust me and spend the extra money on the ph55. Best addition to my hydro setup.

4. my 600 works great, has for a long time too

5. That's dope. Glad the 600 has worked out for you.

I've only seen/heard the other perspective on the 600.

How long have you had it?

6. Your gonna need a good meter and the ones already mentioned unfortunately do only PH readings. Your gonna need a meter that does PH, PPM and or EC readings. Then theres a couple of different types of meters, ones that do constant readings of your PH, PPM and or EC and the other is like your average PH meter when done put it away for next time. EC or PPM is also important in hydro just as much as PH.

7. Tplat good point. I have a separate ppm meter.

8. The link below is the meter I got and I love it and have no regrets on the cost. Fast and accurate measurements and low maintenence compaired to some other meters. Calibrate the PH about once a month and storage solution is just some tap water that sat out for a day or two as for cleaning the PH probe they reccomend just some mild dish soap and a really soft tooth brush. I had a Milwaukee PH 56 and after aabout 2 1/2 indoor grows over a one year period I had to replace the PH probe due to inconsistant readings even when freshly calibrated and it was slow for readings. With the Bluelab Combo Meter I have a few other people who use it said you can buy the soil probe for it and use it in soil as well.

Bluelab Combo Meter

9. I'm going to be purchasing a kit soon (I hope) hydroponic drip system from water farm is what I'm looking at right now. I would have to buy the ph Kit from the store aslo.. I was going to use that instead of purchasing an even more expensive meter.

I see PPM and EC all the time with hydroponics but still don't know what the importance of them are. I know PPM is like parts per million, but that's it.

Can someone help explain that to me, please?

10. Check out the thread in the link below it has alot of good info.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/457285-ph-ppm-whats-all-about.html

11. I'm a gadget junkie, so I just might pick up the bluelab combo too!

12. I paid around $214.00 localy for my Bluelab Combo Meter.

13. The little bottle and vile work just as good. I have a TDS meter but went the dye route for PH testing.

14. There are several very good meters available. I'm using a Hanna 98129 combo meter and I couldn't be happier with it. No matter what you get, you will need some calibration solution for both the TDS/EC and for the PH. I can't recommend the strips and reagent at all. They are very inaccurate and will only give a ballpark guesstimate of the PH. In hydro, the PH and TDS is very important and your success will depend in a large part in how often and how accurately you make those readings. Spend what your wallet will allow on a PH and TDS measuring device. I like the conviencience of a combo meter and don't like having to have seperate instruments.

15. going passive hydro really jus need a ph meter that's accurate and that will last. I can shell out 40 but may use the drops or strips and save for one of the better multi ones.

16. Ya, I know a few people that bought that $25 PH-035 Waterproof pH Meter and the dam thing is as accurate as my dam $150 meter... :mad:

I could have saved $125 bucks.. :rolleyes: