need a mic, suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Musician in U' started by Dreadlocker, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I need a basic mic so i can record some raps.

what do u recomend? also, should i get a set of good headphones too?

just lookin for a setup around 100 bucks to have fun with. I dont need high quality audio, but i want to use a mic for sure.

2. Get a avid producer studio mic 60 bucks
    Then a pair of shure srh 240s I beleive 40 bucks

3. and any idea of a basic easy to use software that i can time up the vocal track to the beat mp3?

4. I use a dynamic mic through a crappy little ART channel strip, compression on tracking is really useful and its preamp sounds alright, I like the vocals I get out of it. The mic I use is a Sennheiser e935. The reason I like using a dynamic is because I just record in my bedroom with no treatment, and it's really a non-issue with the dynamic.

Anyway, I track all my vocals through Audacity, if you just have a track you want to record over it'd certainly work for that.

5. Mic for live situations: Shure SM58, $100
    For recording: Idk, use a condensor mic though for better sound quality. I'd recommend my mic (AKG C214) but it was $350.

6. [quote name='"kingdomofmauri"']

I use a dynamic mic through a crappy little ART channel strip, compression on tracking is really useful and its preamp sounds alright, I like the vocals I get out of it. The mic I use is a Sennheiser e935. The reason I like using a dynamic is because I just record in my bedroom with no treatment, and it's really a non-issue with the dynamic.

Anyway, I track all my vocals through Audacity, if you just have a track you want to record over it'd certainly work for that.[/quote]

Not to be a dick, but a dynamic mic is not going to work with rap vocals maybe rock bands because they tend to be more harsh. Dynamic mics should be used for live application. Audacity is for children I opened it once and laughed. Get a well known daw not a freebie. Please whatever you do do not use audacity

7. Whoa, Audacity works fine for tracking vocals. Why would you need anything more? I didn't say it was good for plug-ins or mixing or creating music.

And dynamic can work fine with rap vocals once they are run through a good compressor and the like. I agree it works better with more rocky vocals but I get plenty clear results through my 200$ setup, that you couldn't get with a condenser or others until you're up quite a bit in price.

Dynamic is a great option for cheap recording because you don't need a treated room or a booth and it's cheap.

8. Samson Condenser Mic. Huge bang for your buck.

9. [quote name='"kingdomofmauri"']

Whoa, Audacity works fine for tracking vocals. Why would you need anything more? I didn't say it was good for plug-ins or mixing or creating music.

And dynamic can work fine with rap vocals once they are run through a good compressor and the like. I agree it works better with more rocky vocals but I get plenty clear results through my 200$ setup, that you couldn't get with a condenser or others until you're up quite a bit in price.

Dynamic is a great option for cheap recording because you don't need a treated room or a booth and it's cheap.[/quote]

You won't get the quality...

10. Look, that's your opinion. We don't need to have this discussion. It's my suggestion that as a cheap option dynamic is great, I don't think someone with a 100$ budget is looking for high quality. Dynamic offers a great option for very low budget stuff, and sound bouncing everywhere and then into your mic isn't an issue, so it can be done wherever with good results.

What else is there to say?

11. [quote name='"kingdomofmauri"']

Look, that's your opinion. We don't need to have this discussion. It's my suggestion that as a cheap option dynamic is great, I don't think someone with a 100$ budget is looking for high quality. Dynamic offers a great option for very low budget stuff, and sound bouncing everywhere and then into your mic isn't an issue, so it can be done wherever with good results.

What else is there to say?[/quote]

He's wanting to record rap not metal/rock vocals. I've explained this and your ignorance is shinning. If it works for you that's great, it's not a smart idea though.

12. Have you seen hustle and flow ?

Do what that girl did to get the best mic

13. Damn man let it go.

14. Google musicians friend, its a website with alot of used gear mics, mixers, pop filter etc...just check out some of the stuff they have. Even with a cheaper mic you can get it high quality, i would also recommend an concussor and pop filter.

15. i just want something to freestyle with using youtube beats then mash em togather. i was thinking just get a basic mic and a little filter thing for in front of it. its just for personal use and for rappin with friends recording cyphers. not selling the music, just all for fun.

mr wonderful, the mic u suggested i cant find for anywhere near 60 bucks. any other decent 50--100 dollar mics out there?

its gonna be just vocals, then laid over a beat

16. I've been recording on this for a few months

Samson - Studio USB Condenser Microphone - C01UCW

A buddy of mines Dad owns a studio and he knows whats up as far as equipment goes. He said for my price range and what I wanted to do with it, this was perfect. So far it is, I want a pop filter though.

Oh and idk what software your using but it was super easy to set this mic recording, pretty much plug and play.

17. just called my buddy who is an audio engineer.

he recommended an ev 767a

anyone used one?

he said it would be good live or to record rap vocals on. I trust him alot, he is a degree in audio tech, 2 bands, and a full recording studio.

just wanna run it buy you guys before i order one

18. damn you beat me to it.
    i was seriously gonna say that.

"its hard out here for a pimp"