Need a little help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by alexb289, Nov 15, 2012.

1. This is my first indoor grow and I have just started. I planted my germinated seed today and just a simple question as of now.

Do I need to put the plant under light or in darkness until it sprouts?

2. From what I've learned, you cover the plants with plastic top to keep them humid and add Fluorescent light about 10 - 15 inches away from them. That should do it until vegitative stage. This is when you move them under 400 lumens....
    Lets have others confirm, cuse mine is a book knowledge. I just did clones so far.

Also, here is what I found (maybe you will find this useful) :
    Marijuana seeds should be placed with the POINTED END UP into a prepared cannabis seeds germination bed or just good soil at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. The embryo tap root emerges from the pointed (stylar) end and the natural method of growth is for this root to make a turn and grow downward (see the illustration) This bend formed by the downward curve of the taproot is what emerges from the soil and the friction of dragging the cannabis seeds upward helps the new plant to loosen and cast off the seed case when it breaks through the surface. If the cannabis seeds are placed with the pointed end down, the embryo will be required to expend a great deal of its stored energy for twisting and turning to position the tap root when it realizes that it is heading the wrong way (see illustration of germinating marijuana seeds) The seedling will need this energy to exert the forces required to later lift its head (now enclosed by the two halves of the seed case) above the soil, cast off the seed case and then spread its two embryo leaves and begin the life-giving photosynthetic process. This is a critical stage in growth and carelessness in placing the marijuana seeds will exhaust even the most hearty seedling and result in a slow start and a feeble plant in later life. Cannabis seeds should be placed in a small hole at a depth of 1/2 to 3/4 inch. An excellent medium for germination is a mixture of rich humus and fine sand, such as the type used for aquariums. The soil needs a ph of 7.5 to 8.0 and should not be so moist that it sticks to your fingers. If the medium is too moist, the seeds will rot and ferment before they can sprout. A simple test for moisture is to stick a pencil into the soil and if soil adheres to it when removed, then it is too moist. Sort of like when you test a cake by sticking a straw into it to see if it is baked through to the middle. The ideal is not too moist, and not too dry - and be sure that the soil is well-drained. Research has shown that a soil temperature that is at, or slightly above, the air temperature promotes the best survival rates and growth.

3. I put them in the dirt about half a fingernail down, LIGHTLY cover it, and throw it under a fluorescent with a 24/0 light cycle until they are strong enough for the metal halide. It usually takes about 1-3 full days before they poke their little heads up. Just be patient and dont mess with it, it will do its thing.

4. Best advise.

5. I was waiting for my light to come on the mail and all they had was a window in late summer early fall. Popped their heads out and grew up just fine. I think temp and humidity most important. That, and don't burn them either with nutes (like giving a beer to a baby) or with big boy lights. You'll figure it out.