need a little help from someone with experience

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by acura2012, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Hi there I'm not sure were to start. I'm growing 4 small plants in a cash crop grow box the 24" tall one and the one plant I have that is growing really good the bottom leaves that are true fan leaves there like the starter fan leaves before they have all the fingers and its mostly the bottom two leaves and one leaf set higher on one leaf that it's yellowing/ browning on the edges of the leaves and they're curling down. This plant is 2 weeks old while the others are 8,9,10 days old.
    The littler ones are doing OK but also aren't growing any where near as fast and the one that's only 4 days ahead of one. But I wanted to know what the possible problem is I have added the nutes that came with the grow box but 1/8 teaspoon to a gallon of water then I'd top off my reservoir when it would get low with that nute mix and the older plant was growing like crazy the leaves started this. Did I over do the nutes? And I haven't been using pH test equipment at all I've just been using a Brita pitcher water at room temp and trying to dilute the nutes a lot since they're so little now

2. If your growing hydro you need to get a ph meter or test strips now. It could be over fert. but more likely is that your ph is off.

3. Damn really I thought by keeping it mostly water and only a little nutes I could get away from "having" to use a pH meter from this I guess that won't work

4. Hydroponics are so ph dependent it's almost irresponsible to try it without one. If you did research you'd know this. Also you'll want a tds/ppm meter to test the nute levels in your water. I suggest you read the sticky's in the forums as well as use the search feature on the forums.

5. Thanks for the information but I would appreciate it if you wouldn't act like I know nothing at all I have researched all this stuff for months before I bought my grow box I was simply trying to make the process a little less involved and I do know how to use the search bar. But I would greatly appreciate any information to help this problem and help in general.

6. Sorry but if you researched all of this before hand then you should know better. By trying to make the process less involved you will only achieve sub par results. It doesn't matter how much or how little nutrients you use, if the ph is off, the plants can't access them. Btw if you do decide to do it right and get a meter and discover the ph is indeed within range, then a cal mag deficiency may be your issue. Good luck.

7. I understand what you are going through because I'm on my first hydroponic grow. I would have to agree with ImagineAll, you are going to need something to monitor the PH of your water. The Brita pitcher will help with taking out some dissolved solid in the water but really doesn't effect the PH of the water.