need a little help and also i have a little update.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by hit it hard, Jun 29, 2007.

1. alright you guys may or may not remember, but several days ago i posted about starting a new grow. well i didnt realize that this was going to turn into a hobby/obsession :p. ive been doing a lot of reading the past few days, but i still have a couple questions.

1. this is probably my most important question. ive always heard about the police busting growers by flying over and seeing the plants with thermal imaging. question is, can they do this if the plants are indoors? where im at right now, the threat of a neighbor smelling it isnt a problem at all and im not even worried about the police at all... except for the fly overs. we do get a lot of fly overs around here.

2. what exactly is scrog/sog. i know what scrog/sog means, but what is the technique and what is the purpose.

as for the updates... i went from doing the single plant and not being very interested to putting 10 more seeds into germination.

oh and another problem i just thought of is that ive had that other plant planted for like 5 days now. the soil was moist for a day or so and it became dry because i had it outside so i got it moist again and then the next couple days it rained on it so needless to say it was soaked. the problem is (or maybe it isnt a problem?) no action yet. i brought the plant in last night and put cling wrap on it with a rubberband to hold it on and put the pot in a dark and very warm closet (back side of fridge is inside this closet) i have here.

i checked the seeds earlier and no tap roots, but it hasnt even been 24 hours yet so im not even sweating it.

another question i guess lol... lets say all 11 do sprout and all 11 are female how big of a grow room would i need and how much lighting would i need?

if you have any other ideas feel free to throw them in. ALL help is appreciated. thanks.

2. 1) you can line your place with antidetection film sheeting, air conditioning, sewer pipe exhaust. Just google it.

www.basementlighting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?page=1/PROD/RS3

2) There are plenty of sog/scrog posts.

scrog = screen of green = plant(s) grow horizontally across a screen
    sog = sea of green = small plants are put on a perpetual grow cycle with frequent yeilds.

3) You can kill seed with too much water. How much space you need depends on how you grow. You could take your 10 best and grow them to 8-10" tall and use less lights or grow a forrest.

I am just a newb. Any info I used to answer you I got by searching this forum.

Good luck!

3. hey man i missed you last post so ill just reply to what u have said in this one, you should have sprouted your seed in a baggie with paper towel and water, if you get 11 females. {you will prob get 4 - 6 } you will need at least 2 400 watt hps lights and ventilation, as far as over head thermal>i live within 5 miles of a major airport and have no probs but i dont know that they check here. for 4-6 plants 1 400 watt hps and several floros for side lighting will work well.id deff be rotating them through the middle tho- good luck and post more info for more responses

4. bro dont worry about helicopters cops would mcuh rtaher bust a 200 plant grow then wasting there time with a plant personal use grow most of the time

really though your gowroom is that hot compare the temp to other places inside the house most closets are hot because there is no central ac in a closet like the rest of the house

dont worry its ok only way you can get busted is if you tell someone

first rule in growing

1.dont tell anyone in person (internet is cool whatever)

5. cool, thanks for the help guys. but lets say i want to stick with CFL... how many CFLs will i need? im definitely on a budget and dont have much money... no job at the moment :(.

so i guess mylar is good for the reflective properties as well as trapping heat, right?

6. How many CFL's...depends on your grow style as mentioned earlier.

CFL's are not always a cost effective solution either depending on your grow setup. I ended up getting around 500watts of CFL, but it cost around $200 in bulbs, needed many extensions, a few mogul adapters, a few extra sockets...probably spent at least $300 or more for my CF setup ( I picked up a MH/HPS conversion system for $160 but my ventilation sucked and I didn't use it)..and guess what, the CFL were HOT, not quite 400watts HPS hot, but I needed TONS more ventilation then I though I would.

General rule for light power is 100watts per plant. You could probably get away with less in a SOG with small plants.(mentioned above also)

Mylar is great for reflecting light and heat I believe...it's foil that will retain a load of heat, not mylar. (I could be wrong about that, I use flat white paint in my cab)

Question, did you germinate your seeds or just plant them in soil??

7. the first one i planted without results still yet.

im germinating 10 right now using the paper towel/rubbermaid container method.

edit: i just checked the seeds and it looks like 2 of the 10 have very, very small protrusions. i wouldn't call them tap roots yet, but i think with about another 24 hours it should be doing pretty good. its been approx. 48 hours since germination began.