Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Need A Job In Medical Marijuana Field As Certified Medical Assistant

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by kellibrynne, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Hi follks! Im a soon to be medial assistant in two months and was wondering how to go about a job in a medical marijuana clinic! This would be a dream come true for me buy unfortunately I live in VA and it has yet to be legalized but I am more than willing to travel! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. I don't live in your country, but I would suggest you pick which legal state you would like to live in most, do some research on the clinics that exist there, then go impress the shit out of the owner.

3. #3 scrambledegg81, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
    Being bluntly honest here: all I can say is that your cert is probably worthless in the cannabis industry unless you go to work for a doctor who writes recommendations. There are few, if any, positions in the wide world of MJ that would require any sort of medical training, specifically being a budtender. I admit that my own medical background (see signature for details :p) has helped in a few situations with my clients, but overall there is almost no practical application of an MA in this business, especially in a state with no medical MJ legislation on the books.

4. Not only that, but I'd be extremely wary of making any mention whatsoever that could be construed to patients as your job being a medical one.  Then you're in a grey area of possibly seeming to be offering medical advice.

5. Do you have big boobs and are hot. Those seem to be the only women that work in the industrie and I am pretty sure none of them are MA.

6. Congrats on finishing up your program! I am also a MA, who sure would love to work in that capacity in the industry, but I am not sure if there are places that would need/value your training.

My first years i had my paperwork done at my pcp's office. I felt so great about him guiding me, because he had researched it, met with a few growers, had good info and reassurance about using it with my other meds. If that sounds cool, i would totally keep your eyes open for more holistic minded offices. ( he does acupuncture too, had all sorts of complimentary treatments in his office) but you would also be doing family med, so a nit of everything.

However he moved, and the NP i followed was supportive but not comfortable signing. So i went to a Dr who advertised for MMJ. I still feel yucky about it lol! He just looked at paper and signed. No exam, nothing for a MA to support. The woman who checked me in claimed to "practically be" a MA because of working there, but she just used an automatic bp cuff and put my records and there forms in folder.

My dispensary experiences are just that they know what the strains are, and the little bit about effects, flavor and such about them, but no medical skills at all.

I just know that as a MA there are so many things I love doing, and i invested to learn those skills and knowledge. I really wanted to use those things!

But honestly, i bet even the dispensary job would pay more. Just a warning! But working in medical had a lot of life rewards, i would never change that!

If you find anything different please let me know! I have fantasized about creating a navigator service to help people get information and then learn how to medicate.(for people who are nervous, totally new to the culture of cannabis, and just need someone to walk them thru it)

I also trained as a midwife, and always amuse myself by calling it a marijuana midwife lol!

Good luck to you!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. If your not the owner or the growers at a dispensary you will be making minimum wage.
    There really is no need for an MA in the marijuana industries.

8. Medical cannabis treats so many illnesses and the industry has no need for a certified medical assistant? Even if growers and dispensaries have no need, wouldn't medical professionals treating someone with say, cancer, aids MS, Alzheimer's, etc., have a need for a medical assistant; or a research facility?

9. Nope becuse that is not how medical works but you wouldn't know being in a non med state. You just go to a dr you say what is wrong and you get your card. You then take that card to a shop to get your meds. The only Time there is a need for a ma is when you get your card they have to take your blood pressure. So as I said unless you have big boobs or are hot stick with the medical field where ma are actually in demand. Chasing pipe dreams.

10. Yeah man every time i see "budtenders wanted" they usually specify female....oh they have you send a pic.  Sexist man haha, i've applied to 7 dispensaries just for shits with not one response back.  It seems like they just want a pretty chicks...they don;t care if these chicks have no knowledge about cannabis.  Oh and to OP's inquiry....yeah i agree with what's been said there is no need for MA in the medical cannabis industry.

11. They seem to call me back in the day. But that is usually becuse I have something they want. :)

12. Have you looked at cannajobs.com?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. ha, you got dat herb son!   I want to be a grower/vendor....... :bongin: :bongin:

14. I have but there was only 1 listing for my area that I saw.  :unsure:   But, my favorite collective may be opening their store front in the next couple months.  They have all their ducks in a row and are 1st in line to await approval under the new ordinance laws.  So much paperwork and money these dudes have invested...but they are legit, very small operation with 95% of their buds being indoor organic.  We've talked about me working there once its open again so we'll see.  :D

15. That would be awesome!!! At least you have an "in"! And who wouldn't want Ron burgundy on their team??? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. Hi, Good Evening; Me Too Need A Job;
    I'm JimsSmiths from the USA, and recently I have done the medical assistant training program form this online platform. So, now I'm searching the job related that's program cause have a good knowledge of medical marijuana field. If anyone have resources, then let me to know about it.
    THANKS;
    JimsSmith,

17. There’s a growing demand for cannabis nurses…!!
    This is the way, then use your RN as a ladder to get your NP and certify your own patients.
    RN here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk